Current NFL Officiating

pehawk

Reaction score
Keeping and maintaining the refereeing in it's current form is a good fail safe for the league office. It allows them some semblance of control over outcomes, if they so choose. Over the past two years I've seen two egregious and glaring examples of this control;

KC at Pitt two years ago on MNF. The Chiefs we're winless head into Pittsburgh. It was a classic trap game for the Steelers since they had a SNF matchup, for first place, the following week vs the Ravens. The Chiefs won that game on the field, but lost it in in the final score. It was blatant, just blatant.

Last year the Eagles got some very odd calls to go there way, to insure that week 17 game in Dallas was for the playoffs. The NFL did there best to assist that matchup in Philly. The Cards got screwed over more than any other team. It was obvious that the refs we're going to do whatever they could, within reason, to help steer towards another week 17 matchup.

The games aren't fixed, that's not what I'm saying. But, there's certain narratives they most definitely help steer.

Good news is, once Peyton retires Russell Wilson will be Roger's desired ambassador to the game. He's appealing to multiple races, religions, sends positive affirmations/clichés, etc.

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ce62psge said:
AbsolutNET":ce62psge said:
Sgt. Largent":ce62psge said:
No, I get it.

See, the refs do suck some of the time..............for EVERYONE. It's not like the league handed down a ref mandate to just screw us. Good teams overcome adversity, and some of that adversity is bad calls. Average and bad teams don't have the talent or discipline to overcome that adversity, thus lose.

Put this on a general NFL message board, and I think it's still a pretty worthy topic.

I disagree, NFL officiating is like debating religion and politics to me, it's not a productive discussion because it's not fixable (nor is it an interesting topic). It's just tired and lame.

I'm a pragmatic fan. Did the refs make some bad calls yesterday, and in other games? Sure. But the bottom line is we just lost to a 1-4 team that was playing their 3rd string QB, their 2nd string RB and their best player on defense was out.

Let that sink in. No room for stupid ref excuses.

NO team is world beaters and will dominate week in and week out. Are team is struggling yes! BUT our defense gave us a chance with 1 min to go which would have been an amazing comeback and the REFS didn't even review the play.

I don't care how we played for the first half or who was playing we are just as hurt on both sides of the ball with banged up players as rams which is why we are struggling, but our D came through got us the ball back and the refs ended the game without going under the hood for 30 seconds.

Greenhell

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1mza4b9c said:
We have a commissioner who is telling his refs to look for penalties. They are fishing for minnows out there, and it really is affecting the game. What happened on Sunday with the fumble was a joke, but it's not like that was the beginning of this narrative. It started a while ago and isn't going away like we figured it would after this preseason. Refs are getting way too much TV time.

We have world class athletes - grown men that measure 6'0 200 and 10% body fat - being penalized because they pushed the arm of a guy who's even bigger than him when he was running a route. It's like in the NBA when they blow a whistle because a 7' 300# guy had his forearm touched after he shot the ball. It has no real affect on the game, but the stripes are told to go by the letter of the law. Talk about the No Fun League. Its the Play-So-You-Don't-Get-Penalized League, now.

And then you tack on ridiculous things like the fumble no-review on Sunday - which seems to happen pretty regularly anymore, and you really have a hard time taking things seriously.

I like this. Spot on.

suppaball

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":178f9tb8 said:
Glad someone posted this, the games are getting un watchable. Were not the only ones that think this, its league-wide. We need a fan walkout day. nobody goes, nobody watches. even if only partially successful, it would send a message. you are ruining this game. A penalty should literally jump out at you, not this phantom bullshit I see in every game.
Stand out " like the play where the rams TE If I remember right bear hugs a Seattle defender no call at all ." Replay dhowed it more than one time. He straight bear hugs one of our players.

SeahawksForever

Reaction score
Guys let's be honest. No one was complaining after the fail mary game. We got every break and every loose ball went our way last year. It doesn't last forever. I hate it too but bad calls will never go away. We have to be good enough so that the bad calls don't make the difference between winning and losing.

We didn't lose yesterday because of a bad call. We lost because our special teams got owned, Kearse couldn't bother himself to jump for a 2-point pass attempt in the end zone, and we asked TEs and RBs to block Robert Quinn all day.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3dvw73nt said:
AbsolutNET":3dvw73nt said:
Sgt. Largent":3dvw73nt said:
No, I get it.

See, the refs do suck some of the time..............for EVERYONE. It's not like the league handed down a ref mandate to just screw us. Good teams overcome adversity, and some of that adversity is bad calls. Average and bad teams don't have the talent or discipline to overcome that adversity, thus lose.

Put this on a general NFL message board, and I think it's still a pretty worthy topic.

I disagree, NFL officiating is like debating religion and politics to me, it's not a productive discussion because it's not fixable (nor is it an interesting topic). It's just tired and lame.

I'm a pragmatic fan. Did the refs make some bad calls yesterday, and in other games? Sure. But the bottom line is we just lost to a 1-4 team that was playing their 3rd string QB, their 2nd string RB and their best player on defense was out.

Let that sink in. No room for stupid ref excuses.

If this had been posted after the Denver game, you would have no problem with it, even though it would have been just as valid then.

NFL officiating is bad even if you disregard Sundays fumble debacle.

We dont need anyone playing the role of "educated hawk fan who doesnt blame the refs for our losses" in this topic. Its unrelated. This thread is about how bad officiating makes the game less fun to watch.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SeahawksForever":tzvux9z9 said:
Guys let's be honest. No one was complaining after the fail mary game. We got every break and every loose ball went our way last year. It doesn't last forever. I hate it too but bad calls will never go away. We have to be good enough so that the bad calls don't make the difference between winning and losing.

We didn't lose yesterday because of a bad call. We lost because our special teams got owned, Kearse couldn't bother himself to jump for a 2-point pass attempt in the end zone, and we asked TEs and RBs to block Robert Quinn all day.

this thread isnt about the Rams game.

Its about officiating in the NFL.

RamBall

Reaction score
I think it is interesting to see that fans of all teams see that the officiating is horrible, but at the same time I would have to say yesterdays seattle-stlouis game was probably the most accurately officiated Rams game I have seen this season. Seattle was the first team that actually blocked the Rams DL without grabbing and pulling them down on every play, yet there were more holding calls in this 1 game than the Rams DL had drawn in the previous 5. I didnt see any totally WTH calls like I have become accustomed to see.

I have seen officials make stuff up, call holding on a player that wasnt within 5 yrds of an opposing player, seen a DE called for holding because the WR that tried to block him got ran over resulting in a sack. If the officials wanted to decide the outcome of yesterdays game they would not have let Seattle get within 2 points.If you want to see an example of the referees deciding the outcome of a game watch the dallas-stlouis game.

I didnt come over here to ruffle any feathers was just curious what you guys thought of the game. Trust me as a long time Rams fan I have seen more bad times than good.

daveca5150

Reaction score
Not whining about refs calling an uneven game here, but I think the original poster has a point about refs having too large of an impact on the game. Is it an exaggeration to say that a penalty could be called on every play? If that is even remotely true, then they have to work to eliminate the grey area in the rules.

There are a few games that I wanted to watch this year, not involving the Hawks, but just couldn't after seeing play after play negated by a silly penalty. I voted with my remote, turned it off and went to rake leaves.

How hard is that on the players who give so much to break a tackle or take a big hit and then find out it doesn't matter?

I remember watching the team's spirit just break in our first SB after the crazy tackling penalty against Hass. It effects more than just that one play.

Just too many mistakes and too much influence. Makes me wonder why the game's popularity is at an all time high

sc85sis

Reaction score
I've seen some definitely iffy calls this year and a fair number of missed penalties, and it seems worse to me than previously. Some have gone in our favor (Percy TD vs. SD when he'd clearly stepped out), some haven't. Either way, I agree that the officiating has become so much a focus that it's beginning to detract from the game.

Rex

Reaction score
ManBunts":mgpeusg5 said:
ZagHawk":mgpeusg5 said:
And to not appear the sore loser, that fake punt was a beauty. That decoy kick return was also pretty great, but I'm still questioning because I think I saw the same fair catch that Pete did, but can't find it anywhere on tape.

That's because it doesn't exist. There wasn't a fair catch signal at any point. Austin drifted to the spot where he faked catching the ball and while drifting his arms never went above his shoulders. When he faked catching the ball he put his arms out in front as if catching the ball. The entire play was perfectly executed by all Rams players on the field and your punter too. :th2thumbs:

Rex

Reaction score
RamBall":ydhlae7e said:
I think it is interesting to see that fans of all teams see that the officiating is horrible, but at the same time I would have to say yesterdays seattle-stlouis game was probably the most accurately officiated Rams game I have seen this season. Seattle was the first team that actually blocked the Rams DL without grabbing and pulling them down on every play, yet there were more holding calls in this 1 game than the Rams DL had drawn in the previous 5. I didnt see any totally WTH calls like I have become accustomed to see.

I have seen officials make stuff up, call holding on a player that wasnt within 5 yrds of an opposing player, seen a DE called for holding because the WR that tried to block him got ran over resulting in a sack. If the officials wanted to decide the outcome of yesterdays game they would not have let Seattle get within 2 points.If you want to see an example of the referees deciding the outcome of a game watch the dallas-stlouis game.

I didnt come over here to ruffle any feathers was just curious what you guys thought of the game. Trust me as a long time Rams fan I have seen more bad times than good.

Absolutely! Rams have lost 2 games this season because of purely phantom penalties.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2bdzdzga said:
We dont need anyone playing the role of "educated hawk fan who doesnt blame the refs for our losses" in this topic. Its unrelated. This thread is about how bad officiating makes the game less fun to watch.

LOL. yeah god forbid someone react educated and rationally.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
So maybe an Oscar for the Rams?

Helluva way to win a game instead of actually beating the other team. Not sour grapes but jeezus, pretty pathetic when you need to do THAT.

And seeing the camera point out a massive hold on Thomas at the goal line was probably ok for Rams fans as well.?

Rex

Reaction score
Largent80":28k73x1d said:
So maybe an Oscar for the Rams?

Helluva way to win a game instead of actually beating the other team. Not sour grapes but jeezus, pretty pathetic when you need to do THAT.

And seeing the camera point out a massive hold on Thomas at the goal line was probably ok for Rams fans as well.?

Rams thoroughly outplayed the Cowboys but were reamed by penalties, especially the phantom variety in crucial situations. Should have 2 more wins this season because of bad officiating. What's pathetic is being beaten by such plays especially when you're the defending super bowl champions and at the hands opt a division rival too. What "hold"? Does the "hold" rise to the level of winning a game by your QB throwing a game winning INT? :sarcasm_on:

Rex

Reaction score
RamBall":3aqtqmcn said:

Absolutely! Rams have lost 2 games this season because of purely phantom penalties.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Let's stop the whining. The Seahawks are supposed to be the antithesis of that . . . it foments a defeatist mentalist that seeks to blame everyone but ourselves for our troubles.

This game should not have been close . . . we should have blown them out in the first half. The guy we are missing the most right now is Max Unger because Stephen Schilling has played terribly. Okung had his best game of the year, allowing Wilson to make plays with his blindside protected. But the interior pressure (which is the fastest way to the QB) and the horrendous run blocking killed the offense in the first half.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2y65v2uy said:
..........I disagree, NFL officiating is like debating religion and politics to me, it's not a productive discussion because it's not fixable...........
Disagree with this part of what you've been saying Sarge. It has been fixable for years and remains fixable but it would require a true commitment by the league to do so and they have never been interested. Full time ref positions with real accountability would be a start.

Otherwise, I get what you're saying. No excuses for losing to an inferior team yesterday. But I also agree with Pehawk that games at times are "steered" in certain directions. I don't believe yesterday was one of those games however. Now XL*, that's a whole different matter........................