Culliver knee injury

Marvin49

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2xo24yvb said:
Any way you slice it, it weakens them. Unless, of course, Richard Sherman is buried on the depth chart behind him.

hehe.

CB is kinda an odd position for the 49ers. They have a bunch of guys that are decent NFL players and 1 thats really good and gets no pub (Terrell Brown...he of the missing 2 Mill).

They were among the best teams in the NFL in pass defense until Justin and Aldon got hurt. Without that pressure, the poor pass coverage was exposed...particularly at safety.

Culliver looked really good at times and looked completely lost at others (like in the Super Bowl). It hurts if he's out for the year, but they still have Rogers, Asumugha, and Cox to compete for that corner #2 spot and slot corner.

rlkats

Reaction score
Like a rookie. He is ok but in my opinion WAAAAAAY to long to tell

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":wlm0s61g said:
How is Eric Reid looking at safety in camp so far?

Really hard to tell to be honest. 49ers usually aren't all that forthcoming with info.

Donte Whitner and Vic Fangio have said that they are very impressed with his smarts and his ability to pick up the game mentally and he's a tremendous athlete, but I don't think we will really know anything till the live bullets start firing. He's rotating in with the 1's with Robinson (draft pick from last year), Spillman (Special Teams Ace), and Dahl (who I've heard NOTHING about so is really a longshot to get any playing time on D).

It was kinda the same with Aldon.

We'll probably know a bit more when the preseason starts.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Marvin49":1sbdcn5t said:
Smelly McUgly":1sbdcn5t said:
How is Eric Reid looking at safety in camp so far?

Really hard to tell to be honest. 49ers usually aren't all that forthcoming with info.

Donte Whitner and Vic Fangio have said that they are very impressed with his smarts and his ability to pick up the game mentally and he's a tremendous athlete, but I don't think we will really know anything till the live bullets start firing. He's rotating in with the 1's with Robinson (draft pick from last year), Spillman (Special Teams Ace), and Dahl (who I've heard NOTHING about so is really a longshot to get any playing time on D).

It was kinda the same with Aldon.

We'll probably know a bit more when the preseason starts.

He's made plays here and there and seems to have a good knack for playing the ball in the air... but like Marvin said, the 9ers are pretty tight-lipped with that stuff... gotta wait for preseason.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Culliver didn't have a single positively rated game per Pro Football Focus since Justin Smith got injured. Just throwing that out there. He had 9 positively graded games and 4 negatively graded ones leading up to week 15, then week 15 through the Super Bowl goes like this for his personal grades:

-0.3 (@ NE game)
WC bye
-2.0 (Super Bowl)

I'm not trying to be a dick to Culliver, but it may very well work out better for the 49ers that he's injured.

rlkats

Reaction score
Wow I did not know that thank you Roland.

rlkats

Reaction score
you are not kidding Roland Big diff.

heyu123

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1bgvkcmd said:
Culliver didn't have a single positively rated game per Pro Football Focus since Justin Smith got injured. Just throwing that out there. He had 9 positively graded games and 4 negatively graded ones leading up to week 15, then week 15 through the Super Bowl goes like this for his personal grades:

-0.3 (@ NE game)
WC bye
-2.0 (Super Bowl)

I'm not trying to be a dick to Culliver, but it may very well work out better for the 49ers that he's injured.

Well, to be fair all the corners significantly got worse from the ne game on. Culliver, if you took his whole body of work, was probably the second best corner on the team. You don't know if rogers or nnamdi will bounce back because both are pretty old and were non productive last year.

So I'm not sure how this is a situation that can work out for us like it is a blessing.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
heyu123":3ar92cys said:
So I'm not sure how this is a situation that can work out for us like it is a blessing.

I said it may. After all, Richard Sherman didn't get to start until halfway through his rookie season when Walter Thurmond got injured for us, and look what happened there.

You never know, that's my point; but regardless, nobody should be waiting with bated breath for Culliver to get back on the field if you know what I mean.

mretrade

Reaction score
As a 49er fan this deserves a giant MEH. Nnamdi will take his place. Word is he has looked good early. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Wright back once he can pass a physical.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
mretrade":t194av1v said:
As a 49er fan this deserves a giant MEH. Nnamdi will take his place. Word is he has looked good early. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Wright back once he can pass a physical.

As a Seahawks fan, I'm laughing at you being excited about Nnamdi.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
49ers have been extremely fortunate with injuries the last few seasons. It doesn't last forever.

We had several seasons in a row awhile back that were insane.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Cully does kinda suck, though. I don't think Nnamdi will be that good, but can he be that much worse?

Cully, Rogers, Goldson, and Whitner got kinda exposed as good only because of the all-timer front seven SF was running out there each week. If that front seven goes wonked because of injury, the secondary isn't really that great.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1h3n4ada said:
FlyingGreg":1h3n4ada said:
We had several seasons in a row awhile back that were insane.

Remember the year we lost our top five wide receivers to injury for the year, all before the halfway point? That was absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah, that was it. We actually had to re-sign Koren Robinson and dudes right off the streets.