Cox waived for Thurmond, you-know-who not on IR

Hawkfish

Reaction score
John Boyle @johnpboyle
... Cox being waived means Percy Harvin likely won't go on IR, at least not for now.

John Boyle @johnpboyle
According to the NFL transaction report, the #Seahawks have waived Perrish Cox (presumably to make room for Thurmond tomorrow)...

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Maxwell is also starting ahead of Thurmond per Pete's presser. :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_on: Apparently the unwritten rule that you never lose your job because of a league mandated substance abuse suspension means nothing to this regime. :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off:

PGunning101

Reaction score
I think the unwritten rule of "if your DB corps got 9 interceptions in 2 weeks, don't change a dang thing" takes precedence here.

Plus Thurmond is gonna get all the play at nickel DB which is an upgrade from Lane anyhow.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
However, Thurmond was a backup, he only started because Browner got hurt. I like the call. He will get his son as. He hasn't been practicing with the team, so there could be some rust

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
So you're saying there's a chance... *daydreams of Harvin and KJ coming back for NFCC Game*

DavidSeven

Reaction score
So, this worked out well. Thurmond got some time off to stay healthy and might be cheaper to bring back now next year.

I mean, we did lose 2 out of 4 games during his suspension, but who's counting...

plyka

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1m4mmzps said:
So you're saying there's a chance... *daydreams of Harvin and KJ coming back for NFCC Game*

HUGE news in my opinion.

God only knows what the hell is going on with Percy. But the fact that they haven't moved him to IR is a big positive. The only positive we have had to cling to for the last month.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":3ogy33h3 said:
However, Thurmond was a backup, he only started because Browner got hurt. I like the call. He will get his son as. He hasn't been practicing with the team, so there could be some rust

You realize that Richard Sherman was a backup to Thurmond who was a starter at the time, he only started because Thurmond got hurt. As ironic as it sounds, Thurmond's injuries and suspensions have been a blessing for this secondary.

I'm truly excited to see Sherm, Maxi and WTIII playing together next week. This may be the best combination of DBs we've seen on the field yet.

Seafan

Reaction score
There's also an unwritten rule about the better player playing regardless of contract. BMax is the better outside CB. I would have been shocked if he weren't starting. It would have been completely stupid to put Thurmond in that position. If Lane had been the better option in the slot I would have expected him to remain there. Nothing surprising with this. It also allows Walter to stay on the active roster. With Kearse's uncertainly that's a good move.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Seafan":ock2ls7i said:
There's also an unwritten rule about the better player playing regardless of contract. BMax is the better outside CB. I would have been shocked if he weren't starting. It would have been completely stupid to put Thurmond in that position. If Lane had been the better option in the slot I would have expected him to remain there. Nothing surprising with this. It also allows Walter to stay on the active roster. With Kearse's uncertainly that's a good move.

Lane is no slouch either.

I loved Lane's corner blitz last week, his speed was on full display.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seafan":zyjfjk3m said:

Seriously? I was mocking the ACTUAL unwritten rule that you don't lose your job due to injury. There really isn't one as I wrote it in my original post. I really didn't think the sarcasm tags I added later were needed.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
plyka":2ooyq7su said:
CHawkTailGator":2ooyq7su said:

HUGE news in my opinion.

God only knows what the hell is going on with Percy. But the fact that they haven't moved him to IR is a big positive. The only positive we have had to cling to for the last month.
Yeah but DavidSeven explained in another thread why they may not IR him at all......all of his 2014 contract becomes fully guaranteed if he's injured IIRC. I think I'm simplifying it but that's the gist I believe. Jump in if you like David and bail me out here. :D

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1dykoaum said:
plyka":1dykoaum said:
CHawkTailGator":1dykoaum said:

HUGE news in my opinion.

Yeah but DavidSeven explained in another thread why they may not IR him at all......all of his 2014 contract becomes fully guaranteed if he's injured IIRC. I think I'm simplifying it but that's the gist I believe. Jump in if you like David and bail me out here. :D

That's basically all there is to it. :)

If he finishes the season on IR, his 2014 salary becomes fully guaranteed. If not, the Seahawks have more flexibility in case a roster decision has to be made. They would take a dead money hit for releasing Harvin, but would still save a few million next season and then clear him off the books after that.

Of course, this is all speculation. However, I just noticed that a couple noted Seahawk bloggers finally caught on to this nugget and are now saying the same things I was saying early in the week. In terms of cap flexibility, it makes sense to keep him active.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'd like to see him return a kick. Deeper at DB than we are WR (and our secondary gets a lot more support from their line than our offense gets from theirs). Wouldn't want to lose a DB, but if we lose THE DB / Doug Baldwin, we will definitely feel it.

Maxwell, Lane and Thurmond... field some kicks and may the best man win.

BTW...stoked we're dumping Cox.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Seanhawk":36f2ouim said:
Maxwell is also starting ahead of Thurmond per Pete's presser. :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_on: :sarcasm_on: Apparently the unwritten rule that you never lose your job because of a league mandated substance abuse suspension means nothing to this regime. :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off: :sarcasm_off:

Maxwell is an outside corner and Lane/Thurmond are mostly slot corners. Thurmond will probably start over Lane. Thurmond's job wasn't really lost since Browner had the spot where Maxwell is.

Exittium

Reaction score
SDHawk":1j5l2nbp said:
Diezel Dawg":1j5l2nbp said:

You realize that Richard Sherman was a backup to Thurmond who was a starter at the time, he only started because Thurmond got hurt. As ironic as it sounds, Thurmond's injuries and suspensions have been a blessing for this secondary.

I'm truly excited to see Sherm, Maxi and WTIII playing together next week. This may be the best combination of DBs we've seen on the field yet.

I thought Sherm was a back up to trufant...

Latest posts