Cowboys + Refs = Trouble

TwilightError

Reaction score
Well it became fairly obvious that the statement in the subject of this topic is legit...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
RunTheBall":2y3l72cf said:
MidwestHawker":2y3l72cf said:
RunTheBall":2y3l72cf said:
MidwestHawker":2y3l72cf said:
Which opponent we draw will of course have nothing to do with which team we are likely to get favorable or unfavorable calls against.
Not true at all, Carolina will not get any huge favorable calls because no one cares about them.... Dallas or Green Bay are far more likely to get game-changing bad calls going their way.

Yes, I have no doubt that the NFL is running some massive fix for ratings when:
(1) their ratings are automatically monstrous no matter who plays; and
(2) they don't renegotiate another TV contract for seven years, making immediate ratings almost completely meaningless anyway.

Enjoy your world of paranoia.
No one is saying every game is fixed, but to deny that certain legacy teams don't get favorable calls in big games is a joke.

Home teams get favorable calls, in any sport. look it up. and its not a massive lean on the psyche to understand why...

the pass interference call was a poor one. anyone that thinks its a conspiracy should just stop watching football. How did the refs screw the Lions to that 14 point lead, including a key 1st down on a 4th and 4? or keep the Cowboys from moving the ball for nearly two quarters?

Bad calls happen because people are people, the game is faster than the refs and the moments may be too big for guys working a part time job

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":llvypqqi said:
RunTheBall":llvypqqi said:
MidwestHawker":llvypqqi said:
RunTheBall":llvypqqi said:
Not true at all, Carolina will not get any huge favorable calls because no one cares about them.... Dallas or Green Bay are far more likely to get game-changing bad calls going their way.

Yes, I have no doubt that the NFL is running some massive fix for ratings when:
(1) their ratings are automatically monstrous no matter who plays; and
(2) they don't renegotiate another TV contract for seven years, making immediate ratings almost completely meaningless anyway.

Enjoy your world of paranoia.
No one is saying every game is fixed, but to deny that certain legacy teams don't get favorable calls in big games is a joke.

Home teams get favorable calls, in any sport. look it up. and its not a massive lean on the psyche to understand why...

the pass interference call was a poor one. anyone that thinks its a conspiracy should just stop watching football. How did the refs screw the Lions to that 14 point lead, including a key 1st down on a 4th and 4? or keep the Cowboys from moving the ball for nearly two quarters?

Bad calls happen because people are people, the game is faster than the refs and the moments may be too big for guys working a part time job

There's a considerable segment of this board for whom conspiracy is a likelier explanation than incompetence. Thousands of years of history in all kinds of different endeavors suggests otherwise, but you're unlikely to change any minds here.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
253hawk":3m7l89vq said:
Raiders were horribly jobbed on the tuck rule, even after replay review. The Patriots? Who the hell are they?
Really? You're going to use the Raiders as an example. Uh seriously man, the league and Rozelle HATED Al Davis for beating them in court and had been itching to get back at him for years. Plus the Patriots are from Boston, a very large east coast market.

Try again.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
I saw this thread when it appeared last week and I knew that it had merit. What we saw yesterday confirms it. That said, it reaffirms that if you're playing against the refs, you have to play nearly flawlessly. Other than Stealer fans in denial, the whole world knows that the 'Hawks were jobbed in XL, but we certainly contributed to that loss with Holmgren's time mismanagement, Josh Brown's missed FGs, Jerramy Stevens' drops, Tom Rouen's poor punting, giving up the Willie Parker TD, etc.
Similarly, the Lions didn't do enough to overcome what most feel was an egregious non-call. I thought it was a really bad play call for the situation even when the ball was in the air. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but seems like a run (or 2 if necessary) would have given Detroit a much better chance to convert. If you are sold on passing it, seems like having Golden in there would be a good idea. Bad (non) call aside, it seems like Caldwell completely melted down during that entire sequence and he's being called out for it by the local press:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... /21275953/

As for the officiating, good to see that it's being called out by the national press:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... a-problem/

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
SeahawksBMX":2smpfba3 said:
I saw this thread when it appeared last week and I knew that it had merit. What we saw yesterday confirms it.

vbMfWs0.gif

pehawk

Reaction score
Does anyone think the flag would've been picked up if it we're Detroit that was interfered with? In Detroit even?

I dont think so...I just don't. I saw Buffalo get jobbed in Denver. KC in Arizona. Arizona in Philly last year. And KC in Pittsburgh 3 years ago. All those instances protected key primetime match-up's.

Is it a conspiracy? No, no it is not. But, it's a preference if you just look at the outcomes. The NFL, by their own admission won't allow Seahawks primetime home games...thats a form of preferences being implemented. That's the nfl controlling outcomes.

I don't know what's going on, but, Dallas gets away with the most holding I've ever seen. It's depressing.

A friend of mine, who happens to be a Cowboy fan asked me to break down of their game in GB. I had nothing too offer, genuinely, because if that OL is allowed to hold, ya know?

This whole thing makes me literally kind of depressed.

el capitan

Reaction score
Whether you believe in conspiracy theories or not is kind of irrelevant, I'm pretty sure everyone can agree that the standard of officiating in today's NFL is nowhere near good enough. Bad calls happen in every game and there's no excuse for it. What's worse is that no one is ever held accountable for bad officiating and the media doesn't seem to bothered by this either.

If it's a case of the refs not implementing the rules properly then maybe they're too complicated, or if not maybe they (or their bosses) should be held accountable somehow.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2jshvo2n said:
SeahawksBMX":2jshvo2n said:
I saw this thread when it appeared last week and I knew that it had merit. What we saw yesterday confirms it.

vbMfWs0.gif

Dude, you already made your opinion clear, if you're going to counter everyone that doesn't share your opinion then you're probably going to be a busy boy.

Part of me says that at least one ref would have done the right thing and spoken out about 'biases' by now, of course the consequences would be one of the biggest sporting scandals in history. Part of me also says that it's not worth the hassle it causes the refs, that's Detroit they just jobbed, they can expect a load of threats.

At the same time, and as Pe points out, there's been a discernible trend of big calls going in the favor of the NFLs more popular teams/in order to create a more favourable matchup; from a business perspective. 'Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action' as they say (or Fleming did).

I don't think Seattle has too much to worry about, we've creeped into being one of the bigger brands in the NFL. But we used to be one of those unfashionable teams, and it's easy to empathize and even take personally. Leaves that bitter taste lingering.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":qaf9uvkj said:
Dude, you already made your opinion clear, if you're going to counter everyone that doesn't share your opinion then you're probably going to be a busy boy.

Nah I've got plenty of gifs bookmarked, they only take like 10 seconds to pick out and post.

pehawk

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1d8ez2hx said:
SomersetHawk":1d8ez2hx said:

Nah I've got plenty of gifs bookmarked, they only take like 10 seconds to pick out and post.

Good. Don't back down, dude's British and you're from the Midwest. You two couldn't get more opposite.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
The worst was that they didn't flag DEZ for going out onto the field without his helmet on, to argue about the flag.
15 yards right there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm normally down for a good conspiracy theory, but if the league wanted Dallas to win before the game even started then why'd they reverse the Suh suspension?

Also the league and refs are two separate entities, and two entities that hate each other. So why the hell would the refs jeopardize their jobs and integrity for a front office that they've had nothing but contempt for?

Horrible botched call? Hell yes. Conspiracy? Nope.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1ybf9rat said:
MidwestHawker":1ybf9rat said:
SomersetHawk":1ybf9rat said:

Good. Don't back down, dude's British and you're from the Midwest. You two couldn't get more opposite.

I dunno, he occasionally shows the signs of humour that I hear are rare for a guy from Indiana, and if he likes the Coen brothers then we're good.

Still, in this instance I find it hard to believe how anyone can be unequivocally convinced there's no bias. But the concept of biased officiating must be about as alien as gay marriage, he probably watches nascar.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bias or conspiracy?

Lots of statistical analysis out there on how home teams get the majority of calls in games of any sport. thats a bias (towards the influence of the moment, the crowd, etc.)

Conspiracy is the idea that the refs and NFL met before hand and discussed using or not using their authority to influence the game.

I firmly believe in one, its human nature. I firmly believe the other is ridiculous

el capitan

Reaction score
Uncle Si":tp3b5krk said:
Lots of statistical analysis out there on how home teams get the majority of calls in games of any sport. thats a bias (towards the influence of the moment, the crowd, etc

That bodes well for us then.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":mcddk9g6 said:
Still, in this instance I find it hard to believe how anyone can be unequivocally convinced there's no bias.

But in order for there to be bias, there's has to be some sort of incentive or reason that the refs would make calls for one team over another.

Why do they care who wins? IMO all they care about is making the right call so they get to keep their jobs.