Could comp picks actually hurt minority candidates?

rjdriver

Reaction score
Honest question and am not trying to be political at all.

But I read on Fieldgulls that Raheem Morris was invited to a second interview. The way the comp pick system is setup at the moment is that the team losing a minority candidate is awarded third round picks in each of the next two drafts. That's pretty substantial.

The purpose being organizations have an added benefit of investing in and developing minority candidates which, in turn, helps minority candidates. This at face value seems like a great program. Considering the make up of the players, the league has had an embarrassingly low representation of people in color at key spots for most of it's history. We've obviously seen improvement and, although not there, are heading in the right direction.

However in isolated incidents, could the program have the opposite effect? The Rams are a division opponent. Hiring Morris is essentially gifting them draft capital. Not ideal. Hell, Puka was taken in the 5th, there are ballers to be had in the third round.

In a hypothetical where JS/JA were enamored with two candidates equally could the comp rule essentially serve as the tiebreaker to not select the person of color or minority candidate essentially having the opposite of it's intended effect?

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
I‘m not a fan of the system for a host of reasons.

That said, simple solution…3rd round pick in the first year goes to the developing team and the R3 pick in the second year goes to the hiring team.

No further delusion of draft picks and still favors development of candidates.

bileever

Reaction score
It's an interesting point, but since the team hiring the coach isn't losing the picks themselves, it's not as big of a deal. If I really wanted to hire someone, the fact that the other team would get some comp picks wouldn't stop me.

I like what @ElvisInBlue said about rewarding the hiring team. That makes sense, too.

There's no evidence that the comp picks actually work to get teams to develop and promote minority coaches. It just ends up being a windfall to them. Most likely the Rams hired Raheem Morris because he was the best man for the job, not because he was black.

bileever

Reaction score
Here's the other reason I don't like this comp pick rule. The teams that get their assistants hired are the more succesful teams (like the 49ers the last couple of years). So we are rewarding the most successful teams with more draft picks, when the draft is supposed to help lesser teams. So it goes against the spirit of the draft.

flv2

Reaction score
I‘m not a fan of the system for a host of reasons.

That said, simple solution…3rd round pick in the first year goes to the developing team and the R3 pick in the second year goes to the hiring team.

No further delusion of draft picks and still favors development of candidates.
Has this changed recently? When the Rams lost Holmes to the Lions as their new GM the Rams got both 3rd round picks.

flv2

Reaction score
Obviously it's not ideal for a divisional rival to get extra picks. However, the primary question should always be what value does the new coach or GM add to the team? On the old Draft chart the 1st pick is worth about 110 points and the year's delay means the 2nd pick is worth about 70% of that in trade value terms. Another team gaining 187 chart points, (equivalent to the #81 pick), is not a big deal.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
Race-based rules are racist.
Turn your lane assist on brother !! 😉😉 I’m sure your POV has merit but that wasn't the intent or question.

In summary. With so many qualified candidates and talent in the league , it’s very possible that any team could be torn between two candidates.

Gifting your divisional rival substantial draft capital to kick your ass could be, at the very least, a consideration if torn between two dudes.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Has this changed recently? When the Rams lost Holmes to the Lions as their new GM the Rams got both 3rd round picks.
Correct, the developing team currently gets both picks. Splitting them was a solution to the OP’s conundrum.

knownone

Reaction score
It may have a marginal impact on their ability to get hired within the division. But overall, the rules do precisely what they were designed to do.