Contract Extensions

HereToRead

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what kind of contract Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas will demand after the season is over?
Hauschka, Bennett, McQuistan, McDaniel, Tate, Thurmond and Baldwin are FA's (either ufa or rfa) after this year.

Just looking for ballpark figures and salary cap ramifications, or who gets to walk and who gets to stay.

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
Don't have good news for you.

Earl will command around 7mil so only 3m more than this year.
Sherman 6 to 13! Mil (from 400k, auch)
Browner is also FA, same range as Sherman. Don't see how we get this done if FA. There is some discussion he may be RFA.
Bennet will be hard to keep (will likely cost red or clemons)
Hauschka just lowered his salary
mcquistan is already over paid for guard (under payed big time for lt)
Breno is also coming up, I can see his salary going up by 1 to 2m easy.
Tate will cost Rice (or vice versa)
We still need to get ready for 15+ for Russel the year after

Unless the nfl raises the cap substantially in the next two years we have some hard math and a lot of "it's a business" comments in our future.

OP
OP
H

HereToRead

Reaction score
Dashon Goldson got 8.25 million per year and he isn't nearly as good as Thomas....so maybe its more like 8.50-9 mil?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Tate will probably have a decent deal, but right now, it's not looking nearly as devastating at it could have been. 4 million a year, max, maybe? Baldwin will probably be a little more sought after on the open market, but he's not going to be in Percy Harvin range, either.

Hauschka should only be in the 1.5 million range. Overpaying for a kicker is bad money management.

Thurmond is interesting to me. If he stays healthy, he'll be a big deal in FA for other teams.

Bennett - at least on a Mebane type deal. Probably higher (5/25)

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
We're going to have to trim Sidney Rice unless he explodes this year. He's running around 7 mil, isnt he? That's enough to get Tate and Thomas. Going to have to pay out the nose for Sherm, and if Thurmond does well this year, it wouldn't surprise me to see Browner get a low offer and probably get a lot of money elsewhere.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I'm choosing to think positive. These guys all love being a SEAHAWK so much that, they will work for peanuts. Yea right. I do think there is some value to being on a team with a bright future and hopefully that will come into account. Would these guys go to the Raiders over a couple of million? (example only)

kidhawk

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":1drkhq9v said:
Don't have good news for you.

Earl will command around 7mil so only 3m more than this year.
Sherman 6 to 13! Mil (from 400k, auch)
Browner is also FA, same range as Sherman. Don't see how we get this done if FA. There is some discussion he may be RFA.
Bennet will be hard to keep (will likely cost red or clemons)
Hauschka just lowered his salary
mcquistan is already over paid for guard (under payed big time for lt)
Breno is also coming up, I can see his salary going up by 1 to 2m easy.
Tate will cost Rice (or vice versa)
We still need to get ready for 15+ for Russel the year after

Unless the nfl raises the cap substantially in the next two years we have some hard math and a lot of "it's a business" comments in our future.

Earl has one more year left under his current deal, so we want to get him extended but have all next year to do it.

Sherman, will be eligible for an extension next year, but is technically locked up for another year after that so we have time to work on his extension, although I believe he should be our off season priority as far as extensions go.

Browner is a free agent, and this has been discussed before. My best attempt at understanding the rule on this says that Browner is to become a UFA

Not mentioned in this is Walter Thurmond who becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent this offseason and will get starter money from someone. He may be gone if he can't give us some kind of "want to stay" discount.

Bennett was given a solid one year deal this year, and could sign for reasonable money, but that is definitely a to be seen. We have lots of players on the line and there's only so much money to go around

Hauschka signed a low deal this year, I don't think it would be a stretch to say we could easily keep him with a slight increase next year

McQuistan is making $2 million this year and is a solid guy who isn't flashy but can fill different spots along the line. He could be expendable but I think he could just as easily sign a reasonable deal

Breno is making $3 million this year, and I think we could keep him at something similar next season. I don't see us paying him $4+ million though, but we are short quality Tackle depth which is why him and McQuistan are important cogs for now.

Tate will want to get paid. We can't afford to pay him what other teams will offer him, so there will have to be some contract negotiating going on (will list a few targets later)

Not too worried about Russell. We can't even TALK to him until after NEXT year is over with. plenty of time to worry about that later.

Now, as far as players who may need to restructure or get cut, here's my list...

Sidney Rice - Scheduled to make $8.5 million in 2014 & $9 million in 2015 with a possible cap savings of $7.3 million next season considering his dead money

Zach Miller - We really don't have the depth here to lose him, but he's looking at $6 million cap value again this year and half of that is tied to bonuses. He may work out an extension to make himself a little more cap friendly. That would be my hope.

Marshawn Lynch - We all love Lynch, and I'm not asking for this to happen, but we drafted Turbin and Michael for a reason and that is not to look good in the pre season. Lynch is going to be going into the last year of his contract next year and would count for $9 million against the cap. We could save $7.5 million if we cut him and started Michael or Turbin. Perhaps we could work something out, but this one looks like a tough one to look past right now.

Brandon Mebane - is sitting at $5.7 million against the cap for the final year of his deal next year, and with only $200k in dead money, that leaves $5.5 million in possible savings. I love Mebane...he does the dirty work without tons of credit. He earns his paychecks, but his actual value vs his cap hit may become an issue.

Hopefully we can restructure/extend some of these higher paid guys and get their cap values down next year, but that remains to be seen. Our front office has a lot of work to do over the next season or so.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Here are your top 10 cap hits for next year.I wouldn't go out and buy any zach miller jerseys this season. He's already gotten what's gauranteed, so unless he wants to renegotiate, he will be gone before Rice will. But I would also expect rice to renegotiate or be gone as well. Too much money wrapped up in players that haven't contributed at that level of pay.

(info from http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/yearly/)

Percy Harvin
$13,400,000

Russell Okung
$11,240,000

Sidney Rice
$9,700,000

Chris Clemons
$9,666,667

Cliff Avril
$9,250,000

Red Bryant
$8,500,000

Zach Miller
$7,000,000

Marshawn Lynch
$7,000,000

Kam Chancellor
$5,725,000

Brandon Mebane
$5,700,000

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Couple thoughts...

Browner is not going to get the money that people think. He doesn't fit a ton of systems and is older for a CB. I think Browner is a hell of a player, but I think he's back with SEA on a pretty team friendly deal.

Bennett: WE NEED HIM. Lock him up mid season. He could get a huge deal in FA if he continues on his current pace. Sounds like he wants to be here though.

Sidney Rice: I like Sidney, but he either takes a paycut or he's gone. I know we are not a passing team, but he doesn't bring enough to the table to make the money he currently is (not just stats wise). If he doesn't take a cut, we have Tate, Harvin, Baldwin, Williams, Kearse, and I'm guessing a WR in the 2014 Draft (R1-4). This WR would obviously be a bigger target IMO, which this coming draft seems to have some potentially good options in the 20-30s.

OP
OP
H

HereToRead

Reaction score
When it comes to Thomas and especially Sherman, i know technically they have 1 year left of control, but they WILL WANT to re-negotiate. The team shows a desire to resign them, and they might sign a more team friendly deal plus it relieves stress on the front office. Imagine both Thomas and Sherman are up for UFA and there is only one franchise tag and one ends up walking.

kidhawk

Reaction score
HereToRead":j8tpyn3n said:
When it comes to Thomas and especially Sherman, i know technically they have 1 year left of control, but they WILL WANT to re-negotiate. The team shows a desire to resign them, and they might sign a more team friendly deal plus it relieves stress on the front office. Imagine both Thomas and Sherman are up for UFA and there is only one franchise tag and one ends up walking.

Thomas is scheduled to make over $5 million next year. He's not in need of the huge bump like many others. He was one of the lucky ones who was drafted before the rookie cap so he got a very nice deal to open his career.

Sherman is a necessity as I wouldn't blame him for holding out if he's not renegotiated before next year....I would go so far as to say if we don't get him a new deal before next season starts, the odds of him testing free agency climb exponentially.

I do want to add that I meant to put Big Red on my list of players with high cap value and being a possibility for restructure or cutting for cap reasons.

We actually have quite a few players who are making quite good money next year, so that gives us some options for what to do. A lot will just depend how our depth looks at certain positions and what kind of deals the players are willing to play under.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
we have to re-sign sherman. Passing league, you don't let the best CB In the league walk away in FA. Sorrrrry.

seahawk 17

Reaction score
Tate is losing money every game. Contract year, he needs to step up.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Hawknballs":14efy78c said:
Sidney Rice
$9,700,000

Chris Clemons
$9,666,667

Cliff Avril
$9,250,000

Zach Miller
$7,000,000

We're going to find several million just with these guys. They'll have to restructure or be cut.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hauscka is gone. He was resigned this year based on not hitting anything over 50 yards the year before. I get it he was great from less than 50 but still he was not a top tier kicker.

This year he has come out with improved accuracy and lenght. He is handling kickoffs and regularly getting touchbacks on them which is a good value.

We don't have the money to spend on him next year. He signed $785k contract and will probably get something in the region of $1.5-$2 million next year for three years by some team that looses four five games this year by just a few points and a bunch of missed kicks.

Not saying that is the huge problem for us but we will have to sign someone. I don't agree with above posts just thinking he sticks around

OP
OP
H

HereToRead

Reaction score
Hawknballs":z73570ps said:
we have to re-sign sherman. Passing league, you don't let the best CB In the league walk away in FA. Sorrrrry.

with Revis pulling down 13.5 mil a season, that's where Sherman is heading. thats a huge bump

and Thomas isn't in need of a huge bump, but i think he might want one anyways, Top 3 safety in the league, wants to get paid like it.

Tical21

Reaction score
Let's face it. Most of those names are not essential players, and therefore will be replaced. You have to keep Earl and Sherm, Okung, Wilson and Percy. Maybe a pass-rusher. The rest will be a revolving door ala the Steelers, Eagles and Pats of the past era.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Of all the names mentioned above IMO Rice is the least bang for the buck. Not counting Harvin who is the reason we are even having this discussion in the first place. Problem for Rice is that his numbers have not been exactly stellar so signing for another team might be tough at his current salary. I think its likely that he restructures. But then you have guys like Thurmond and Maxwell who could be starting for any other team in the league. Those guys would be low hanging fruit in FA.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I have a feeling Rice is on the last year of his deal, no way they let him keep playing it out to it's last year. I like Rice, good player, but I don't think he's playing up to that level of $$$

Sidney Rice
2013 9,700,000
2014 9,700,000
2015 10,200,000

Hawks46

Reaction score
There is not going to be enough money to keep lots of guys Specifically, we aren't keeping Sherman, Thomas, Browner and Thurmond. Someone is going to get paid, and we won't be able to afford it.

Red Bryant is a good player, but he's not worth what we're paying him.

Miller will probably restructure. No one else will pay him what he's getting here, so we don't have to worry about someone else paying him more.

I have some optimism, but it's faint for me.

The Legion of Boom might take small discounts to play together. They're all smart guys, and they know the team won't be able to afford to pay all of them maximum market value.

I have a weird thought about Sherman: he's wanting his props after falling in the draft. Maybe if it's VERY public that Sherman was offered a contract that would make him the highest paid player in the league, he could look like Tom Brady when he came back and very unselfishly took less money. I think it's not about the money with Sherman, but the prestige and the moniker of being the best. We might all be making assumptions as well; maybe he wants the accolades, but the money isn't the big deal to him. We can only hope.

I can see Thomas not taking a ton of money to keep Sherman and maybe Browner around.

Thurmond will probably want to get paid. The only hope for optimism is that we've paid him for 3 years when he's been IR'd most of the time. We never cut him and stuck by him. Maybe he gives us a 2 year deal on a discount.

Browner, I have no idea. I get that our scheme fits him very well, but it's foolish to think we're the only scheme that fits him very well. The Jets, in particular, run a lot of press man in conjunction with pressure and that fits Browner very well. Now, we just threw some money at him when we didn't have to. That might get us a hometown discount. He'd still be in the CFL if not for Pete and John, and maybe he has gratitude that way. Then again, this is his last (and only) shot at a big contract, so you can't blame the guy for wanting to maximize his money.

We have to restructure Rice. I'm not saying he's not worth it, because he is, but not in this offense. I think Williams can replace him, honestly.

Russell Wilson is the kind of guy that would take less money to keep a competitive team together.