Conspiracy Theory Explains Worst Play Call In NFL History.

Do you believe this theory posted below the poll (which insists on going first)?

• Yes

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • No

Votes: 77 80.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 5.2%

• Total voters

jammerhawk

Reaction score
What absolute horse puckey!

Lynch went down on the 1 on purpose? Pete and Bevell simply went away from what got them here. Bevell outsmarted himself. Geez Louise there's always some conspiracy behind a stupid double clutch flub like this one.

C'mon man?

Hyak

Reaction score
I agree with the premise that it's an issue to be dealt with if that's the perception of some in the locker room.

I don't agree that the Seahawks made a concerted effort to frame the game ending the way so that Wilson could be the hero instead of Lynch.

1. They ran it to Lynch on first down on a play that was close to scoring.
2. I think Wilson gets the MVP if the Seahawks finish the drive even if Lynch scored from the one on a run. He would have had a 140 QB rating and a epic GW SB drive.
3. Strategically, calling a pass play on 2nd down isn't a problem given the TO situation, clock, and the fact that our defense was spent. We can argue the play call and/or the execution of the called play forever.
4. It's insulting to the coaches to think they would be in the mindset to do what is being suggested. They want to win games way worse than the fans do.

People will cling to their agendas and believe what they want regardless as does happen in all facets of life. I do have faith that Carroll will deal with the team to get their minds right for 2015. The pain will never go away completely because they were so close but the idea that players are going to quit on the team as a result of this is speculative and frankly insulting to the very players were all admire.

plyka

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2jgrftiq said:
So why hand it to Lynch the play before?

It was a stupid and cute call. Nothing more, nothing less.

As far as the theory goes, at the 1 yard line with 3 plays, Carroll thought it was a gimme. 1st and goal from the 5, obviously is not as much a gimme. The theory doesn't say that Carroll would rather not win a superbowl than let Lynch get the TD, just that in his mind he thought there isn't much risk to allow Wilson to give it a try on 2nd because if that doesn't happen, then you have 3rd and 4th to give it to Lynch.

That he was willing to take a very slight risk, in his mind, to allow Wilson to be the champ, and that "little risk" materialized. Not that I believe it, but your point doesn't some how disprove the theory.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
This theory is too simplistic and does not account for the complex mind of Darrell Bevell, who unnecessarily complicates plays for what he perceives as even minor strategic benefit. The defining theme of his play calling is the constant attempt to catch a defense by surprise, preferably with a pass because he is in charge of the passing game and Tom Cable takes credit for the running game.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Ridiculous theory in my opinion. Lynch almost scored on the play before.

chawx

Reaction score
I actually thought about Lynch and him being the MVP part and I wonder if he would have actually wanted that himself? All the attention and whatnot for someone who is the MVP might have been too much for him, I mean, you saw how Malcolm Smith was carted around out there and put on display for everyone to gawk at and admire... I don't think Lynch really wanted that.

I'm not suggesting Lynch would not have tried to score had they given him the ball. I'm just wondering if that's why Lynch, when asked about it, said something to the effect that it's football and a team sport and he was, in essence, saying he was fine with the call and not getting the handoff.

I still voted "No" though on this, because I really don't think it was the worst call ever in a Super Bowl nor do I think it was a planned conspiracy, I actually think it was statistically the best call to make at the time to pass it, and had a rookie undrafted CB not made a ballsy decision to jump a route, Lockette would have walked into the endzone untouched...

But, I do think there is some validity to the fact that everyone (Goodell, Russell, and most higher ups and media types, even including Lynch himself) deep down probably wanting Russell to be the game-winner MVP, Disney parade having, poster child of the NFL and not a quiet, shy, reserved, hard-ass, thuggish ruggish, black dude like Lynch.

Just my two pesos ...

seahawks08

Reaction score
Absolute BS, locker room after a tough loss definitely is emotional. Nobody takes that and prints it, and nobody should take that and post it either. For players fans or anyone who loves football and a team will never think on those lines. A losing dysfunctional team might, but a game has a winner and loser. Even if we did not win by the scoreboard, we got to keep winning . Lets not encourage any media that promotes this.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
FargoHawk":1cgu1vr5 said:
soxhawk":1cgu1vr5 said:
I don't buy it. Wilson would've probably won the MVP whether Lynch punched it in or not. Both had great games. Quick question: why wasnt it PI on Butler for blasting Lockette before catching the ball? I know both players are entitled to the ball, but Lockette was almost flipped upside down while Butler made the catch.

Definitely not PI. Bang bang play. Butler beat Lockette to the spot and ball. Lockette tries to catch it in his body rather than reaching out to "go get the ball". Bevell's criticism was right, he just shouldn't have said it to the media.
Technically it was PI. Butler made contact with lockette prior to making contact with the ball and while lockette was making contact with the ball. That being said, I don't think it was bad not to call it. Like you said bang bang and butler was playing the ball.

Rat

Reaction score
I could see it being in the back of his head. Who doesn't like a good story? Seems unlikely to be the main motivation behind the call though.

RiverDog

Reaction score
seahawks08":ny0nj6ig said:
Absolute BS, locker room after a tough loss definitely is emotional. Nobody takes that and prints it, and nobody should take that and post it either. For players fans or anyone who loves football and a team will never think on those lines. A losing dysfunctional team might, but a game has a winner and loser. Even if we did not win by the scoreboard, we got to keep winning . Lets not encourage any media that promotes this.

My sentiments, too. How many times has someone, like Yours Truly, said something totally and completely baseless, like "she must have slept with the boss to get that promotion". You don't believe your own words, but you say it, anyway.

jblaze

Reaction score
Absolutely ridiculous.

When you listen to Carroll and look at the statistics and reasoning behind it, throwing on 2nd down isn't a bad decision at all. There is no conspiracy. If you think they wanted to do anything other than win the super bowl in that moment, you're delusional.

byau

Reaction score
No no no no no no no

More than anything this season I have really grown to hate the media, blowing many things out of proportion, making stories where there aren't any, even blatantly misquoting players to further their own story.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
People often jump all over anyone who suspects there may be truth to a conspiracy theory, so this thread could get ugly.

However, there are different types and levels of "conspiracy".

Do I think Pete and Darrell Bevell deliberately chose that play at that time with the thought that it would take the glory from Marshawn and give it to Wilson? Heck no, too much going on - and they had already given Marshawn one chance from the five yard line, where he realistically could have scored.

Do I think that subconsciously Pete and Darrell wanted to give Wilson one more chance to get the game winner? Yes. They may not even realize it themselves, though. I think that they, along with our entire fan base, are enamored with Wilson, and given the situation (knowing that we were in control of our destiny at that point), they subconsciously hoped that Wilson could get that one last throw in to cap off the win and get MVP.

They will give us all the explanations in the world about wanting to throw on 2nd down so they didn't have to use their final timeout, etc. (some of which makes sense, but the actual play call was still horrid).

We will never know, of course. But I think you can never rule out those types of emotions.

pmedic920

Reaction score
The Fan in me wants to lock and delete this this tread.
We are better than that here, Everybody gets to voice their opinion within the guidelines.
I don't believe the theory one bit.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":ou8ywsyt said:
People often jump all over anyone who suspects there may be truth to a conspiracy theory, so this thread could get ugly.

That's because conspiracy theories begin with a belief and then backtrack to find evidence to fit that belief. Lack of evidence just adds to the theory because "they" want it covered up. It's the opposite of rationality.

Now, that's not to say that conspiracies don't exist. It's just that with actual conspiracies, there's real evidence. Not crackpot "this is what I think they think" type stuff. And those are uncovered by finding evidence and letting it lead you to the truth... not the other way around.

The biggest problem with conspiracy theories is that they automatically ignore primary, basic things like chance, accident, and incompetence.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Sounds like people are clearly trying to create a divide in the locker room. This is the last thing this team needs right now.

BigMeach

Reaction score
This is ridiculous. People will say anything to make sense of something that throws them into the darkness.

RW didn't need that TD to cement his legacy, he needed the Lombardi. Two Lombardi's in your first 3 years... are you kidding me? The MVP part of this means jack.

Now you only have one, and some dirtbag is trying to make it seem that it was due to greed over an MVP trophy? Stupid.

Rat

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":2cqzx63c said:

However, there are different types and levels of "conspiracy".

Do I think Pete and Darrell Bevell deliberately chose that play at that time with the thought that it would take the glory from Marshawn and give it to Wilson? Heck no, too much going on - and they had already given Marshawn one chance from the five yard line, where he realistically could have scored.

Do I think that subconsciously Pete and Darrell wanted to give Wilson one more chance to get the game winner? Yes. They may not even realize it themselves, though. I think that they, along with our entire fan base, are enamored with Wilson, and given the situation (knowing that we were in control of our destiny at that point), they subconsciously hoped that Wilson could get that one last throw in to cap off the win and get MVP.

They will give us all the explanations in the world about wanting to throw on 2nd down so they didn't have to use their final timeout, etc. (some of which makes sense, but the actual play call was still horrid).

We will never know, of course. But I think you can never rule out those types of emotions.

This post is so good, it should have been mine. Phenomenal explanation.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
There is a conspiracy and it’s even more diabolical than we can perceive on the surface…

After days of scouring the internet I’ve uncover the truth.

The Trilateral Commission, hand in hand with the East Coast Biased Media machine (of which the writer and his magazine ‘The Nation’ are part of!!) hired Russian hackers to break into players, coaches, local media, and other front office twitter accounts to send pseudological and misleading information. Their sole purpose is to disrupt any chance of a football dynasty being formed on the west coast and bring the riches, fame, and prestige of the Lombardi Trophy to the East and ultimately line their own pockets.

I know this to be true because they did the same thing to the 49ers two years ago to bring about their downfall and the subsequent firing of their most winningest coach in decades.

I’m also hot on the trail of a co-conspiracy involving the Republican Party, CIA, and reverse alien technology that both controls stadium lighting and coaches’ play calling to the Quarterbacks….

I haven’t vetted it entirely, but when I do I’ll get back to everyone …..

Latest posts