Collective Thoughts on Justin Britt

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3vxzyqz1 said:
NorthDallas40oz":3vxzyqz1 said:
I would move him to LG next year if/when Carpenter walks in free agency. Britt is atrocious in pass protection, and doesn't have the feet or balance to succeed in that area on the edge. His run blocking and background on the left side at Missouri gives him a good foundation for success at LG as he continues to gain strength, particularly in the lower body. He can be protected in pass pro there, by the LT and C, and he certainly has the requisite athleticism to be a solid pulling guard who can get to the second level. I see him as middling OT prospect long term, but an above average OG prospect.
Damn I'm good. 8)

1. Its crazy that you would go so far back to dig this up or remember this thread just to pat yourself on the back.

2. I hate you even more for reminding me how much I missed Pehawk around here.

3. Good Job on your analysis. Its pretty spot-on assessment.

4. But reading all the collective thoughts and coaching insights over the last few days on Britt, it seems Britt was always in the conversation to be a guard even before he was drafted. The Coaches and Scouts probably even graded him higher as a guard than they did tackle. Unfortunately, for Britt in his rookie season he was kind of forced to be the guy at Right Tackle because Bowie ate himself out of competition and then injured himself off the team, Garrett Scott didn't have the heart to play and Eric Winston, an 8 year vet, couldn't do any better than the 1st year Britt in Pre-Season play. Nobody could beat out Britt for the spot because simply their was no one even competing against him.

Now with LG being the biggest perhaps only black hole on the team with Alvin Bailey looking like he can only play LT and RT having more competent competition in the 2nd year, Gilliam taking charger and perhaps the rookies Poole and Glowinski. Seahawks have a chance to improve two holes with one move.

Fade

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3riqtqb9 said:
NorthDallas40oz":3riqtqb9 said:
I would move him to LG next year if/when Carpenter walks in free agency. Britt is atrocious in pass protection, and doesn't have the feet or balance to succeed in that area on the edge. His run blocking and background on the left side at Missouri gives him a good foundation for success at LG as he continues to gain strength, particularly in the lower body. He can be protected in pass pro there, by the LT and C, and he certainly has the requisite athleticism to be a solid pulling guard who can get to the second level. I see him as middling OT prospect long term, but an above average OG prospect.
Damn I'm good. 8)

Props.

I hope Britt can anchor against 3 techs when they bull rush.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3j6h5ki0 said:
What are your insights and impressions of him and what growth can we expect for him in pass-protection? We can all agree has the potential to be a top tier run blocker in is future if not then above average.

Just one question: When is the last time a rookie started all 16 games for the Seahawks? My mind can't even begin to conjure up a name.

Russell, Wagner, Earl, Carlson.

Like English said, even if Britt rocks at LG, it'll leave a bad taste in the mouth. That would be two relatively-high draft picks failing to produce a long-term starter at RT.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
nanomoz":2ve27b21 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2ve27b21 said:
What are your insights and impressions of him and what growth can we expect for him in pass-protection? We can all agree has the potential to be a top tier run blocker in is future if not then above average.

Just one question: When is the last time a rookie started all 16 games for the Seahawks? My mind can't even begin to conjure up a name.

Like English said, even if Britt rocks at LG, it'll leave a bad taste in the mouth. That would be two relatively-high draft picks failing to produce a long-term starter at RT.

What if he becomes a Pro Bowler at left guard?

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
nanomoz":kx05ea6w said:
Pandion Haliaetus":kx05ea6w said:

1. Read the thread. I meant last rookie O-Linemen to start 16 games.

2. Wagner has never started all 16 regular season games.

3. Bad taste to whom? The draftniks. Its possible last year if Bowie didnt eat himself out of the RT competition and then injure himself off the team along with having a poor attitude plus the Scott heart issues taking another tackle out of potential competition and if Carpenter didnt have one of his best off-seasons its very probable Britt could of found himself at LG.

But with the way everything worked out, he was forced to play at RT, even though it became apparent that it wasnt the best fit, as it quickly became a one man competition.

Who cares where Britt was drafted and what
position he plays, if he takes up LG and becomes a consistenly good player for the next 3 years thete then good value becomes good value no matter what shape its in.

If Gilliam becomes a more compentent RT than Britt then all the better. I doubt Wilson cares about value and draft position as long as the best 5 guys for the job are in front of him. Niether should we, if it comes down to it.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
If a positional switch is what's going to make him better, then all the better. Remember Paul McQuistan....seems like he was jack of all trades but master of none. I will be watching Britt and Gilliam closely in the KC game, I'm rooting for them to succeed in those spots.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":n759bqu4 said:
a

3. Bad taste to whom? The draftniks. Its possible last year if Bowie didnt eat himself out of the RT competition and then injure himself off the team along with having a poor attitude plus the Scott heart issues taking another tackle out of potential competition and if Carpenter didnt have one of his best off-seasons its very probable Britt could of found himself at LG.

But with the way everything worked out, he was forced to play at RT, even though it became apparent that it wasnt the best fit, as it quickly became a one man competition.

position he plays, if he takes up LG and becomes a consistenly good player for the next 3 years thete then good value becomes good value no matter what shape its in.

If Gilliam becomes a more compentent RT than Britt then all the better. I doubt Wilson cares about value and draft position as long as the best 5 guys for the job are in front of him. Niether should we, if it comes down to it.

1: I was trying to answer your question. You asked a question. I answered it. Don't get all shitty over it. Here is your question, verbatim: "When is the last time a rookie started all 16 games for the Seahawks? My mind can't even begin to conjure up a name."

2: You're correct, Wagner didn't start 16 games in 2012. He started 15, but in the game he didn't start (the Fail Mary game), he registered 8 tackles and played most snaps at MLB.

3: I honestly think it's a bad taste for anyone that thinks a discrepancy between intent and outcome matters. Seattle *might* be 0/2 in trying to hit on an early-round right tackle. If Britt makes a good LG, great, that's nice. The last time this team had an answer at left guard was Rob Sims (arguably), and Hutch before that. That's a win. But it's not unreasonable for anyone, fans or coaches or front office, to feel a bit wrankled over the team's trouble with hitting on a RT when they make a high investment.

I'm with you. If Gilliam is better than Britt and excels, awesome! History will be kind in such a case. But I don't think I should be chided for not having great confidence in Cable and the front office's ability to draft someone early to play right tackle.

nanomoz

Reaction score
nanomoz":41amx9e7 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":41amx9e7 said:
a

1: I was trying to answer your question. You asked a question. I answered it. Don't get all poopy over it. Here is your question, verbatim: "When is the last time a rookie started all 16 games for the Seahawks? My mind can't even begin to conjure up a name."

2: You're correct, Wagner didn't start 16 games in 2012. He started 15, but in the game he didn't start (the Fail Mary game), he registered 8 tackles and played most snaps at MLB.

3: I honestly think it's a bad taste for anyone that thinks a discrepancy between intent and outcome matters. Seattle *might* be 0/2 in trying to hit on an early-round right tackle. If Britt makes a good LG, great, that's nice. The last time this team had an answer at left guard was Rob Sims (arguably), and Hutch before that. That's a win. But it's not unreasonable for anyone, fans or coaches or front office, to feel a bit wrankled over the team's trouble with hitting on a RT when they make a high investment.

I'm with you. If Gilliam is better than Britt and excels, awesome! History will be kind in such a case. But I don't think I should be chided for not having great confidence in Cable and the front office's ability to draft someone early to play right tackle.

nanomoz

Reaction score
As to the question you meant to ask: I'm not sure who the last rookie OL was to start 16 games. Not Sims. Not Okung. Not Moffitt.

Heck, it might be Hutch.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Right tackle scares me to death this year but Britt was so bad in pass protection last year that maybe it won't matter much. I think he was graded as giving up the most QB pressures in the entire league last year. Let that sink in....