Christine Michael released, claimed by Packers

crosfam

Reaction score
I feel bad for CMike. I figured he would finish the year as a back-up, take home a supebowl ring, and then cash in with a moderate raise on another team. With our draft I figured he was not going to make the team this year, barring injuries, which happened. Good luck to him. He has a perhaps a two year window to make more $$ in this league.

I think, Pope, like Forsett years ago, will stay on the team as a valuable special teamer and back-up.

HawkGA

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1zzc3q7u said:
The problem with Michael is that even if we had the greatest blocking in the league, he still can't outrun grass. It's one of
the strangest things I've ever seen from a running back. Open field knocks him on his arse every time.

I remember one play in particular where he broke two tackles and then tripped. I was thinking, Seriously? How the heck does that happen?

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Dave Wyman said yesterday, "There are guys who love playing football, and there are guys who love being a football player. Christine Michael seems like the latter."

Without knowing the guy personally, that is the impression he makes.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I give Michael a ton of credit for humbling himself and coming in and playing in less than ideal situations and actually doing fairly well. I really dont think it was his performance that got him cut as he's played well and has been outstanding in pass protection. I think it is something between the ears. He's not a bad guy or anything but I suspect they felt like they had to hold his hand for lack of a better way to put it. I hope he sticks somewhere else and makes some money for him and his family.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
RW92":2eolpv7j said:
I just can't see how keeping Collins was the better move. Collins is not a great football player. In fact he brings much less to the table than CMike does. This move kind of takes the "starch" out of Sunday Nights win.

There's only one reason why they would keep Collins. He's on a 4 year dirt cheap rookie deal, while CMike is a free agent this offseason. In a vacuum, there is no way anyone would want to play Collins over CMike right now. Collins looks terrible. But he's cheap and under long term club control, so he's the guy to keep.

SpencerRW3

Reaction score
I think I speak on behalf of most fans when I say, I am very happy to have Troymaine Pope on the active roster. It is unfortunate that we had to Cut Christine Michael and I had high hopes for him at the end of last season but man im excited for Pope. After having such high hopes for our back field in the offseason with Michael, Rawls, Collins, Prosise, and Brooks it looked like we had a nice RB committee. Eventually Michael fell off, Rawls has been injured, Collins has been a bust (so far), Prosise finally getting healthy, and Brooks was cut. Now 10 games in we have Rawls, Prosise, Collins and Pope. I am hoping the preseason beastmode gets a chance to play and utilizes his time. To the future Troymaine Pope!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Really looking forward to seeing what the running game looks like going forward. Glad Michael is gone though. Prosise\Rawls combo is going to be very good imo. Add that to Wilson clearly feeling better each week, Bennett and Willson back in the mix these next couple weeks etc. Things are looking up for a very good 2nd half of the season. But we're kind of used to seeing that around here. Once November rolls in, it's on.
When Russ got mad at ME Mike doing that stupid first down dance, that said a lot imo. And, not having a back who tackles himself will be nice :mrgreen:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Nobody really knows for sure what was going through Michael's mind, so I'm just gonna stick to the football explanation. He wasn't a good fit for our scheme, or our team mentality. Someone else (with a better OL) might pick him up and make a star out of him, though; he's got too much raw talent to give up on, even after being cut loose four times.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":n5hg2fwp said:
Michael aversion to contact and going for the extra yards versus Prosise laying the wood on a defender, Rawls a known commodity, Pope quick and also willing to stick his head into a tackle, Collins willing to take hits, see where I am going here, you have to be a physical presence. Throw in the Pouting, the inability to pick up the offense and nuances after a full season back basically and been here before, the phantom Hamstring injury, yeah I don't think he was hurt I think he was demoted. He finally tripped himself up enough to fall over the edge of the roster.

I knew he was just a safety valve, really wanted Pope in the first place over Collins and or Michael, I appreciate his contributions and him holding down the fort, but I do not want to count on him.

+1. I'm glad they finally ditched Michael, his attitude, and his hit the dirt first approach. Loved Pope in pre season and I think he jumps right over Collins to #3 option.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
We are on the outside looking in, and can only guess what happened.

With that said it was pretty obvious that CMike was regressing:

Michael improvised too many times, and despite the talent to make things out of nothing, he was his own enemy.

I think the release has a lot to do with Cable, who basically came out and said Michael is lacking in the mental capacity department to run in Cable's system.

You could see a little annoyance from Wilson as well in terms of Michael being ready and getting on the same page as everyone else.

Michael's emotions also ran much like Cam Newtons in that CMike was arrogant in making a play and seem to be defeated and sulk when he didnt.

With all that said the writing was clearly on the wall, I didn't think the Seahawks would cut him outright. Only because I thought he was effectively what he was in his last year in college this season ... a decent Red Zone back with a knack of putting it in the End Zone.

That was until after reading/hearing players comments on Prosise's toughness and mental aptitude to run the right plays and trust the blocking after the NE game. It seemed to me all the praise for Prosise was in comparison to Michael.

To me those comments led me to think the team, coaches and all, had very little trust in Michael to carry the load.

That should never get a player as talented as Michael to be cut. However, behind the scenes is a different story in that I imagine Michael did not respond the right way in terms of what was going on. Perhaps responding negatively, sulking, and possibly blaming others than himself for his own failure. The guy who is always making excuses rather than owning up to them.Which isn't as far fetched as Michael at times has come off as a player that is pretty self-absorbed, one who probably thinks his shit doesnt stink in other words.

So it could have been that his release came in response in how he handled himself after the Pats game in terms of the heaping praise of Prosise and his own demotion on top of all his other short-comings and continued failures despite his talent.

And it's also possible as well, that Michael himself lost in the Always Compete mantra. I definately get the feeling Michael just might have gotten out competed in practice by a healthy Prosise and by Pope the last few weeks. Something that seems feasible by Prosise earning more touches and Pope being promoted in Michael's departure.

With Rawls on the verge of returning, and everything seemingly going against Michael the last few weeks... Michael just became expendable.

You can ask yourself... Why not Collins?... because obviously Michael has been the more talented of the two.

But we've seen it before in Cary Williams, whose was cut 1) for his poor performance, 2) not trusting the system, 3) his teammates in return not trusting him to do is job.

We've seen it before in a Percy Harvin, 1) who was self-absorbed, 2) was a negative influence, 3) who just gave up instead of putting in the work to be what the team effectively wanted him to be.

I see Michael falling somewhere between the two. And the Seahawks cut those guys despite eating some money for one reason, the betterment of the team. Michael's contract was likely minimal to his league service and while he did not seem as bad as those two were. If they felt Michael responded in regression instead of progression to his own short-comings. And he was possibly being outplayed in practice by Prosise and Pope in mental aptitude as well as attitude. And all that stuff carried over to Michael in live games where he didn't respond the right way in doing the right things that was being asked of him...

I definately could see that as being the final straw with him. And why he was cut over Collins.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Pope: 5'9" 207 lbs.
Lynch: 5'11" 215 lbs

To me watching them both run, Lynch seemed so much bigger, but the stats above are very close. I actually like the shorter stature of pope, and if he shows promise he get bulk up a bit in the offseason.

Of the little we have seen, Pope ran with attitude and drive. Collins runs like it is a job. If pope shows good vision and ball security he has the natural ability to be a really good running back. A little development in the offseason and the rawls-procise-pope combo might prove to be pretty potent. Continue to develop Collins as he is cheap and has the physical attributes. What I see is that Collins lacks the balance and fire to run through guys. Our offense is built on being physical and wearing your opponent down. How many games did Lynch get pretty much shut down in the first half to then light the opposition up in the second. Many. As I said in several other threads though, the health history of rawls and procise is a bit concerning. I will say that procise took some brutal hits in the pats game and got back up just fine, so maybe his injuries in college were just bad luck.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Wish CMike all the best, but he had his chance to take this RB job by the horns, and blew it.

Not sure what his problem is, cause he has all the physical skills to be a very good NFL running back, but too many mental lapses, too many blown assignments, too much running out of bounds, too much running right into the line, too much tackling himself tripping on his own feet..........and too much bad attitude.

It's obvious now that Pope was resigned to the practice squad a couple weeks ago because the writing was on the wall that Pete was done with Michael. He was just waiting for Rawls to get closer to being healthy.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":12vuexd2 said:
Wish CMike all the best, but he had his chance to take this RB job by the horns, and blew it.

Not sure what his problem is, cause he has all the physical skills to be a very good NFL running back, but too many mental lapses, too many blown assignments, too much running out of bounds, too much running right into the line, too much tackling himself tripping on his own feet..........and too much bad attitude.

It's obvious now that Pope was resigned to the practice squad a couple weeks ago because the writing was on the wall that Pete was done with Michael. He was just waiting for Rawls to get closer to being healthy.
I have no bad feelings toward CMike. I also think he's the kind of guy who can't handle success, too. He was doing well for a while, but once he was 'the guy' he kind of slipped back into old habits. In that way he doesn't quite fulfill the 'always compete' mantra. Perhaps he resented that he wasn't somehow crowned the guy at RB and couldn't get over that the FO/coaches kept looking at other RBs?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":xbmbhntj said:
Sgt. Largent":xbmbhntj said:

I have no bad feelings toward CMike. I also think he's the kind of guy who can't handle success, too. He was doing well for a while, but once he was 'the guy' he kind of slipped back into old habits. In that way he doesn't quite fulfill the 'always compete' mantra. Perhaps he resented that he wasn't somehow crowned the guy at RB and couldn't get over that the FO/coaches kept looking at other RBs?

Dave Wyman put it best yesterday talking about CMike after he was released. He said some players love the game of football, and some players love being an NFL player.

CMike is the latter. He just doesn't quite have the love and passion for the game he needs to in order to succeed. Which is fine, I don't fault the guy, there's a lot of players like that. They're just not Seahawks. Pete and John's cornerstone character trait for their players is having that edge, passion and desire to compete.

pmedic920

Reaction score
RW92":1qp1zdfr said:
I just can't see how keeping Collins was the better move. Collins is not a great football player. In fact he brings much less to the table than CMike does. This move kind of takes the "starch" out of Sunday Nights win.

I don't know this but I'm satisfied in my mind, this is more about off field issues than football skills.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
I enjoyed CMIKE and admired his play while here. I hope he has a future in the NFL. If I were him I think I'd be hangin out in Green Bay Wisconsin.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/798998523890974721[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3pcyethu said:

Makes sense. They are desperately thin at the position and the way they've been losing, they have nothing to lose.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":wfbxu1xi said:
Ha Ha he will mess with AR mind ..I hope he fumbles their playoff hopes away