Christine Michael released, claimed by Packers

olyfan63

Reaction score
CMike couldn't get on the field in Dallas. GB has the need, question is whether CMike can pick up their system fast enough to play for them. I just think CMike was failing/forgetting too many assignments, not running the plays as designed, and then had a hissy fit seeing Prosise succeed, and couldn't truly wrap his head around "always compete".

I'd been a CMike fan up until this last stretch, but have finally come to my senses. If he's not lighting it up on his carries, he's below average overall in the rest of his game. He wasn't lighting it up. Then add in the destructive effect on team chemistry of not trusting the other guys in their assignments, and pouting over someone else getting reps, and I'm sure it was an easy decision for Pete and John. Thank God it was much lower overall cost than the Cary Williams fiasco.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Polaris":129ga5ig said:
I am surprised but not totally shocked. I think we can infer two things:

1) The Seahawks are extremely confident that Rawls is not only fully healthy but ready and able to take the load.

2) I think the Seahawks are very happy with Procise (sp?) and unhappy with Christian Michael for the former's willingness to man up and get those extra yards (while keeping possession of the ball). I think Michael has been playing himself out of a job here for the past few weeks by not getting right and not getting that extra push. One play in particular (and I think everyone knows which one vs Atlanta) sticks out in my mind.

I read an article (sorry no link) noting that (as you say) he was not fighting for extra yards a few times and one time, he intentionally ran out of bounds to the sidelines against Arizona for no reason as no players were that close to him.

Prosise is hungrier and Rawls will be back.

Clark the shark

Reaction score
So much potential wasted. He could have been great if he had something between the ears. There's got to be something wrong with him mentally because he could hsve been a top 5 back if he had even a slightly less than average IQ. That's not the case so I guess its time for the cfl or arena football for the boy with a girls name.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Laloosh":1zjxlt4t said:
Michael has had me screaming at my TV as of late (not fighting for yards, diving before getting the 1st, etc.); I'm oddly okay with this.

On Brock and Salk, Ray Roberts was saying how Cmike's body moves ahead of his feet/ankles.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
McGruff":d28yhl86 said:
I have suspected that the bulk of the scheme issues in the running game were not related to the OL missing blocks, but Michael making incorrect reads. Watching Procise run confirmed that.

Yep! During his carries against NE, he looked like he was blind. Absolutely showed no vision or sense for where his blocks were at. If you combine that with his 'business decisions' when runs out of bounds, it doesn't make the move very surprising to me. What confuses me is that he's a willing blocker, but quite often avoids contact when he runs.

Anyhow, his crappy play against NE was kind of a cherry on top of my observation that he has been regressing toward his old habits. I feel sorry for the guy, but it's not the team's fault that he couldn't remain consistent.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Vesuve":1ehdd2op said:
Laloosh":1ehdd2op said:
Michael has had me screaming at my TV as of late (not fighting for yards, diving before getting the 1st, etc.); I'm oddly okay with this.

On Brock and Salk, Ray Roberts was saying how Cmike's body moves ahead of his feet/ankles.

Yep. Same thing with Percy Harvin. Both of them outrun their legs. Weirdest running style I've seen in a while. And they both end up getting tackled by the turf on occasion.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Jville":1s1hrgfi said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/799005175411277824[/tweet]

And both have been enormous busts. In the case of Lacy enormous describes his body type too.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Vesuve":2j3s6pf2 said:
Polaris":2j3s6pf2 said:
I am surprised but not totally shocked. I think we can infer two things:

1) The Seahawks are extremely confident that Rawls is not only fully healthy but ready and able to take the load.

2) I think the Seahawks are very happy with Procise (sp?) and unhappy with Christian Michael for the former's willingness to man up and get those extra yards (while keeping possession of the ball). I think Michael has been playing himself out of a job here for the past few weeks by not getting right and not getting that extra push. One play in particular (and I think everyone knows which one vs Atlanta) sticks out in my mind.

I read an article (sorry no link) noting that (as you say) he was not fighting for extra yards a few times and one time, he intentionally ran out of bounds to the sidelines against Arizona for no reason as no players were that close to him.

Prosise is hungrier and Rawls will be back.

Do not need the link to the article, I witnessed it on the games mentioned. And correct on the bolded.

quneur

Reaction score
I've read a lot of opinions everywhere on why CMike was released but here are my thoughts.

I believe it has to do more on his limitations than his abilities. What he can do he does well - find the hole, cuts, acceleration and/or bouncing to the outside. His limitation is the coaches don't trust his hands.

Last season with Lynch hurt Seattle brought in Fred Jackson. This year with Prosise and Rawls injured, they brought in C.J. Spiller. Both have adequate catching abilities. It goes along with the coaches trying to find that double threat talent. Look at the plays in which the RB can be used when he has adequate pass catching abilities: screens, short routes, check downs, etc.

CMike is better suited on plays where he's the single back, QB under center, guards pulling on a sweep where any holes he can accelerate through or bounce it to the outside. But Seattle doesn't run sweeps. Trying to pull the guards is asking too much for this line (all that's asked for them is pass protection and run blocking). Single back because he'll likely outrun the FB to the line.

Finally, I believe with Russell and Rawls becoming healthy, CMike became expendable. Rawls (and Collins) is better for the play action (straight north-south vs finesse runner) which will become incorporated more as Russell gets healthier.

Latest posts