Chris Matthews

HawkFan72

Reaction score
sutz":2smxr6yc said:
HawkFan72":2smxr6yc said:
One of the disappointing parts of the Super Bowl loss is the fact that Matthews' breakout performance has gone mostly forgotten outside of Seattle. If the Seahawks had won, he would have been all over the media and be talked about as one of the best breakout performances ever. No one cares as much because the Hawks lost.
You say this like it's a bad thing.

I like that he's our little secret. Hopefully, he can continue to develop and surprise some folks this coming season.

:mrgreen:

I think I feel more bad for him personally. As a Seahawks fan, I can agree that it will be nice to keep him more of a secret. :D

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Think of how awesome the Seahawks could become if they went out and got Brandon Marshall.

Marshall at Flanker

Baldwin at Split-End

Then a 6-5 220 pound Mathews in the Slot.

I would work Baldwin from the slot but I think Wilson would do better working the middle with a 6-5 target.

raisethe3

Reaction score
^^^a 6' 5" receiver in the slot is a nightmare for any defense.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3gyhtf3g said:
Think of how awesome the Seahawks could become if they went out and got Brandon Marshall.

Marshall at Flanker

Baldwin at Split-End

I would work Baldwin from the slot but I think Wilson would do better working the middle with a 6-5 target.

I went back and read that twice before seeing your rationale at the bottom. Very logical (in our situation) and potentially genius outside-the-box thinking like putting Red at DE.

Well done. I'm gonna try to make this happen.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I like CM and I think he will do great for us if he trains hard and learns what it takes to be a good WR.I have been thinking,the Colts may let Wayne walk.It would be great if we could bring him to Seattle just to help develop these young WR's we have.

A

Anonymous

Loved what he did in the Super Bowl. I hope he is on the roster next season and gets a chance to play. I think he could be a big part of our passing offense if given the opportunity. I'm really excited to see what he can do next year.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Given his success earlier in the sb, I'm kind of surprised they didn't go back to him on the last play. If you're going to throw, at least throw to someone whose probability for an int is low. There. I'm now an expert monday morning qb. :thirishdrinkers:

timmat

Reaction score
kjreid":3or3c0zf said:
timmat":3or3c0zf said:
They've got to give him a chance next year based on what we saw from him in the Super Bowl. Russell throws the best "jump ball" in the league in my opinion. Even though Golden wasn't big, he was great at going up and getting the jump ball. Matthews proved in the Super Bowl he can make a play on the ball even when he's not wide open.

Now Russ and the coaches need to trust him, and give him those opportunities in the regular season to see if he can perform consistently. He doesn't need to be a burner or the best route runner if he can just give Russell a decent target and get positioned in some one-on-one matchups.

Look at how high above the defender he was on that Super Bowl touchdown. Seems like this would be there, even when he's covered. Most teams don't have a big Browner-type to throw on a guy as tall as Matthews.

I'm totally biased because we share the same last name and I want the jersey. :)

They give everyone a chance with the ability to compete at every position every week will let him make his own way.....like he did for the superbowl. seeing him active as opposed to others shows that he can compete and make it. I love that no one on the WR corp can be complacent going into next year.

I just get the sense that some of his value wouldn't translate entirely in practice, and that strong consideration is given to his potential to make big plays when Russ is scrambling around - the frequent broken plays that are hard to practice. Russ trying to make something happen when protection breaks down with Matthews in a one-on-one downfield could be a great option for Wilson. Even if he's not the best Xs and Os type just yet, he at least has huge broken play potential.

themunn

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":31ymciz5 said:

Marshall at Flanker

Baldwin at Split-End

It sounds like a good idea, but it also opens him up to hits from safeties and linebackers (who are already in the box thanks to Lynch). Few players consistently put the ball between the "redline" and sideline like Wilson - when Matthews went up for those balls he was unstoppable. Why change that?

He's obviously going to start on PUP, but imagine Richardson's speed on one side demanding safety cover over the top and Matthews on the sideline catching balls put in spots where only he can reach them. Then you have Baldwin breaking open in the middle as he always does. We don't need to sign Marshall for that

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I can live with that concept.It's not hard to see that working .Lockette can be that straight line speed guy until PR is back.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I as well am excited about the possibility of CM.

Just thinking as well about Wilson, as soon as he's over the loss, he's gotta be tickled with what he's found during the SB.

Veilside

Reaction score
For now I like having Matthews as a #4 WR option (over Kearse) until he proves he can be a consistent red zone/jump ball threat. I'm still hoping we can get Marshall in FA and think we will try especially if Lynch doesn't come back (for whatever reason).

Until Norwood, Matthews and Willson can develop further I feel we may need to "borrow" a proven red zone threat which the team is lacking. I am confident that if given the right guy, Wilson can have a 1000 yrd reciever even in a run first offense and still spread the ball around. Even more important than yards is a WR good for 10+ TDs and with how much Wilson likes to go deep with jump balls I think this is entirely possible even with limited attempts.

Marshall at flanker
Richardson at split end (once healthy)
Baldwin at slot
Matthews/Norwood/Lockette fighting for #4
Miller(maybe) and Willson at TE

Looks like a pretty formidable recieving core for Wilson to use. Marshall is no Harvin, he's a legit WR that even Sherman has problems stopping down field and worth pursuing if he's not solely looking for a payday.

netskier

Reaction score
Height is extremely consistent, and six four cornerbacks are extremely rare.

We have wide receivers who are six five, six four, and two that are six two.

Can anyone think of a defensive backfield that could reliably defend all four at once?

Plus we could deploy the six five, 4.5 forty, Willson, with an empty backfield, to give us five tall simultaneous receivers, ranging from six two to six five. Sounds good to me.

I think it is far more cost effective to not have any nominal number one receivers.

netskier

Reaction score
The defense can deploy their defensive backs however they want, but they will run out of height before we do.

And this is before we draft more tall wide receivers, which I strongly recommend.

hawksurething

Reaction score
McGruff":2pum06ww said:
Hawkfan77":2pum06ww said:
keatonisballin":2pum06ww said:
aars021.jpg
How do you defend that? Man I hope he can build upon his coming out party during the Superbowl. He could be exactly what we've needed for so long.

with this . . .

201502012101757151111 p5

Yes we know browner can limit him in the Superbowl next year. That's why hawks are getting another NFL proven Big WR in freeagency & drafting one of the top WRs. Also might draft a speedy WR/KR to go with Matthews...now who can stop all that ?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawksurething":uoqjhdcg said:
Yes we know browner can limit him in the Superbowl next year. That's why hawks are getting another NFL proven Big WR in freeagency & drafting one of the top WRs. Also might draft a speedy WR/KR to go with Matthews...now who can stop all that ?

What are you going to do if none of these things happen?

Sac

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":ul4gidaq said:
hawksurething":ul4gidaq said:

Hopefully he'll go away.

hawksurething

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":30ig207c said:
hawksurething":30ig207c said:

Its not what I will do... Its what the hawks will do,which is possibly fall short again if we have to pass to win vs the pats secondary.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawksurething":3v4wzwsl said:
Hasselbeck":3v4wzwsl said:
hawksurething":3v4wzwsl said:

Its not what I will do... Its what the hawks will do,which is possibly fall short again if we have to pass to win vs the pats secondary.

Worry about the Pats later, there is 18 games before then, and that's if both teams make it back to the dance. Failure to stay true to yourself usually means rebuild and mediocrity.

Also your rants throughout are solely considering the Pats, if we are healthier at all the whole premise of your argument is moot anyway.