Chris Clemons released

Basis4day

Reaction score
But no means do i think the FO is going to suddenly find an ideal LEO like Clem, but they did it once and the draft is coming up.

Xarbx425

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":36cj4no4 said:
Tear it up in Jacksonville Clem!

Now cut Miller and bring in Finley, Ware, Allen and Peppers...

HAHHAHA - ok jus to humor you here... THAT would be soooo sick and hilarious... every team in the NFC west would just SH*T their pants...

drdiags

Reaction score
Miller's bonus is due next week to the tune of $1M. I suspect there is an even chance we see another one of these for him before then. I hope not, but that is being discussed in the Finley thread.

I also saw something on Twitter where Allen's agent supposedly tweeted that the rumor about Allen visiting folks was false and that at this time his client wasn't taking any planned trips. Guess we will see if that was true pretty soon. I don't think the release of Clemons is tied to any Allen signing.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2q3bolxp said:
The question is do we have a LEO on staff capable of filling his shoes? We brought in Irvin as his future replacement and that hasn't worked out so well yet. Mayowa showed some spark last year and was being mentored by Clemons. But realistically his replacement is not on staff at the moment. Gotta trust the FO!

Avril, Mayowa, there's still the draft

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Clemons will go down as one of the best Seahawks trades ever. That trade was a HUGE part of us winning the Super Bowl. Clemons filled the role of Carroll's LEO perfectly and allowed them to focus on filling out the rest of the line until we ended up with our Super Bowl line. Clemons was the huge piece that made it all possible.

I will always be a fan of his for his relentless motor, insanely high production, and locker room leadership.

Glad he was able to get a ring with us, he earned it.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Irvin was supposed to be Clemons replacement but has shown little ability to do so.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2q1vmzke said:
AbsolutNET":2q1vmzke said:
Seaswab":2q1vmzke said:
Do any of our guys ever agree to renegotiate? Seems like it never happens and they get cut instead.

Is there information he was given the option to negotiate?

Nope, but even if he was, what sense does it make for a player to agree to take less? If he feels that he's worth more than what the team who is asking him to take a cut is offering, it actually benefits him to be released so he can test the market. If the market will pay Clemons more than what Seattle wanted to pay him (if this scenario happened), that's a win for him. If the market won't pay it, he has a better understanding of his value and can approach the team about re-signing on a lower deal. It's business.

EDIT: For clarification's sake, this is a response mainly to Seaswab through Abs' post.

Well what if after a player refused to renogiciate and is released the market dictates the player is worth even less than the re nogiciated offer. Then it would have been in that players best interest to accept the original restructured offer

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Xarbx425":2w7fkgvr said:
SomersetHawk":2w7fkgvr said:
Tear it up in Jacksonville Clem!

Now cut Miller and bring in Finley, Ware, Allen and Peppers...

HAHHAHA - ok jus to humor you here... THAT would be soooo sick and hilarious... every team in the NFC west would just SH*T their pants...

Ha, I was fantasizing of course, but just imagine. :snack: Oh god.

I think every NFC west team would have to carry 4 QBs on their roster.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you for the effort, Warrior. Good luck in your next chapter.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I Think we all saw this coming.

Clem had a hell of a career here in Seattle, and I would not mind if he was brought back on a more team friendly contract (he was a beast in the Super Bowl and his locker room leadership will be tough to replace).

volsunghawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3txd9o01 said:
volsunghawk":3txd9o01 said:
AbsolutNET":3txd9o01 said:
Seaswab":3txd9o01 said:
Do any of our guys ever agree to renegotiate? Seems like it never happens and they get cut instead.

Is there information he was given the option to negotiate?

Nope, but even if he was, what sense does it make for a player to agree to take less? If he feels that he's worth more than what the team who is asking him to take a cut is offering, it actually benefits him to be released so he can test the market. If the market will pay Clemons more than what Seattle wanted to pay him (if this scenario happened), that's a win for him. If the market won't pay it, he has a better understanding of his value and can approach the team about re-signing on a lower deal. It's business.

EDIT: For clarification's sake, this is a response mainly to Seaswab through Abs' post.

Well what if after a player refused to renogiciate and is released the market dictates the player is worth even less than the re nogiciated offer. Then it would have been in that players best interest to accept the original restructured offer

The player wouldn't have that knowledge, would he? Hindsight is 20/20. And it could be said that it's in the player's best interests to disabuse himself of misjudging his market value... a player who understands his actual value could have a longer career than one who insists on a certain number and refuses to play for anything less.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
DavidSeven":tcmbmm98 said:
kidhawk":tcmbmm98 said:
DavidSeven":tcmbmm98 said:
This move was inevitable after Michael Bennett re-signed. We all talked about it. Not sure why we would now take it to mean Allen or Ware are signing. Reports are that both are expecting $7.5M+. Maybe we do get one of those guys, but this release was going to happen either way.

This isn't about Bennett. Bennett's contract is structured where it has a LOWER Cap hit this year than he had last year. If they were going to release Clemons no matter what it would have been done by now. There will be another DE signing. It may not be a big name, or it may be a big name. You never know what P & J have up their sleeve, but we didn't cut Clemons without a planned replacement

Matching up Bennett's number with Clem's isn't the issue. Clem was held onto as roster insurance in case we got outbid for Bennett. If we missed on Bennett and every other marquee DE, then we probably would've retained Clem. Since Bennett is now in the fold, the FO feels comfortable releasing him. I'm sure they will continue to target DEs in free agency, but people are talking about how this means a deal with Allen or Ware must be in place already. That is not necessarily the case (though it could be true).

I don't think Clem was held as insurance for Bennett. I believe Clem was held, and would have stayed if Allen or Ware weren't headed to Seattle. I expect JCPS believe Allen's deal is imminent and that triggered the Clem release.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":2lrkhflc said:
DavidSeven":2lrkhflc said:
kidhawk":2lrkhflc said:
DavidSeven":2lrkhflc said:
This move was inevitable after Michael Bennett re-signed. We all talked about it. Not sure why we would now take it to mean Allen or Ware are signing. Reports are that both are expecting $7.5M+. Maybe we do get one of those guys, but this release was going to happen either way.

This isn't about Bennett. Bennett's contract is structured where it has a LOWER Cap hit this year than he had last year. If they were going to release Clemons no matter what it would have been done by now. There will be another DE signing. It may not be a big name, or it may be a big name. You never know what P & J have up their sleeve, but we didn't cut Clemons without a planned replacement

Matching up Bennett's number with Clem's isn't the issue. Clem was held onto as roster insurance in case we got outbid for Bennett. If we missed on Bennett and every other marquee DE, then we probably would've retained Clem. Since Bennett is now in the fold, the FO feels comfortable releasing him. I'm sure they will continue to target DEs in free agency, but people are talking about how this means a deal with Allen or Ware must be in place already. That is not necessarily the case (though it could be true).

I don't think Clem was held as insurance for Bennett. I believe Clem was held, and would have stayed if Allen or Ware weren't headed to Seattle. I expect JCPS believe Allen's deal is imminent and that triggered the Clem release.

Nothing is imminent, he wants Ware money, won't get it here.

sutz

Reaction score
It's tough to see the guys that worked so hard to get the team the ring move on. At least guys like Clem were able to hang on until they closed the deal.

Best of luck, Clem!

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hmmm, starting to wonder if we see him back? Maybe offered him a pay cut but he's seeing if he can get more?

It'll be interesting to see how we replace the loss of three important D-linemen, I don't see us being prepared to offer Allen anything like the $10m per year he's rumoured to want? Building a draft around Aaron Donald? Trade pending? Can't deny this is an exciting off-season.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
At this rate Avril, Mebane and Bennett will be the only ones left from that amazing Defensive front from last year. Still say Bane made them all better last year.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Largent80":38dulsmu said:
I don't see them signing another DE F.A. for much less than he was to get.
:13:
Change in chemistry sometimes does not work out either.

The Clem I saw in the playoffs last year was worth keeping. I was really hoping for some kind of restructure...