Chris Carson

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Do we know if this guy is coming back? I just don't see how after that injury. Pete was vague about it. So Penny for a year to see if he can duplicate his late year performance but are they going to be looking at a draft pick maybe higher than we think?

sutz

Reaction score
Nobody seems to be talking about Carson's real condition. I suspect they have their eye on a specific RB or two in the draft and don't want to show their hand. Nobody is talking right now until after the draft. As to Carson's real condition, it is getting easier to assume he's done. That's a tough one and sounds like it could be a life threatening situation, or at least one that could lead to serious paralysis with another big hit.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Thta's so hard to hear. I love his heart. Such a relentless runner. I hope the best for him as we all do 'm sure.
I would like nothing better than to see Carson back in full health. But I don't see how that's possible so I'm looking forward to see what we can snag in the draft.

Hey Boohman, here's a pic I took a few days ago right here on my ranch in KANSAS...
DSC 0544 2 E
Can we still be friends? LOL

toffee

Reaction score
As a 12, I hope he will play next season, in full strength.
As a human, I hope he won't take risk in playing even if he's in full strength.

Boohman14

Reaction score
I would like nothing better than to see Carson back in full health. But I don't see how that's possible so I'm looking forward to see what we can snag in the draft.

Hey Boohman, here's a pic I took a few days ago right here on my ranch in KANSAS...
View attachment 11354
Can we still be friends? LOL
Cool picture. I stole mine off the interwebz.
I see Ospreys all the time at the coast. They're viscous hunters. Way more efficient than the Bald Eagles they compete with. They like to pick off seabirds as they nest and I've seen them steal from the talons of the eagles in flight. My friend volunteers at Raper Recovery and says that Ospreys all have a vicious nature.

xray

Reaction score
They are too quiet , so doesn't seem good . If they think Penny can go 17 games , they are kidding themselves .

GemCity

Reaction score
I expect him to retire. The injury is bad for any professional athlete, let alone a RB.

Guaranteed damage on the body…

I loved watching him run. He exceeded expectations and had a great career. But, I expect us to grab a big, bruising back to compliment Rashaad. I like Dallas and Homer (great pass protection) but unless there’s a significant change, they’re not going to get the job done being a #1 or #2.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I wouldn't argue against anything you said there, GemCity. Looks right to me and I especially hope you got the "big, bruising back" in the draft nailed down. We really need that ability for ball control, assuming they get our O Line probs solved.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I love Carson, but if we draft a RB in the top half of the draft?

Then there's literally no reason to bring him back, and we can save 3-4M of cap by cutting him before camp.

He' still not even all the way back with the neck rehab. That's not good news for a RB with the running style of Carson. Again, love the guy, but I'm not comfortable going into the regular season with two RB's that haven't proven they can stay healthy.

Gotta draft another bell cow back.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score

Then there's literally no reason to bring him back, and we can save 3-4M of cap by cutting him before camp.

He' still not even all the way back with the neck rehab. That's not good news for a RB with the running style of Carson. Again, love the guy, but I'm not comfortable going into the regular season with two RB's that haven't proven they can stay healthy.

Gotta draft another bell cow back.
Reasonable scenario that the FO office will pull the trigger after the draft when the cap room is needed to fill any remaining needs.

No need to do it before and remove any remaining mystery on draft needs at a time every team is in cloak & dagger mode.

Most likely an injury settlement will be involved so cap relief could be less than we hope.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

Why the top half? Carson himself was a 7th-rounder.

Anyway, the cap savings after June 1 would be $4.6M, and there would be $1.5M (next year's part of the signing bonus) of dead money.

It's pretty clear that the team should acquire a few more young RBs through the draft and from among the undrafted free agents once the draft ends.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Anyway, the cap savings after June 1 would be $4.6M, and there would be $1.5M (next year's part of the signing bonus) of dead money.

It's pretty clear that the team should acquire a few more young RBs through the draft and from among the undrafted free agents once the draft ends.

You're right.

But IMO it needs to be as close to a sure thing bell cow back in order to REALLY solidify the position so we don't need to keep Carson and not depend on Penny staying healthy and productive. Two things he hasn't done in four years.

So that means top half of the draft to me.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
You're right.

But IMO it needs to be as close to a sure thing bell cow back in order to REALLY solidify the position so we don't need to keep Carson and not depend on Penny staying healthy and productive. Two things he hasn't done in four years.

So that means top half of the draft to me.
ABSOLUTELY THIS ^^^....We no longer have Wilson, so to me, the very LEAST we should be focusing on, is putting the RUN GAME back on the front burner, to HELP whomever winds up being our new Quarterback.
I mean Pete went out & got Marshawn Lynch BEFORE working on finding his Quarterback.
By all accounts, NEXT years Draft is supposedly loaded with a better crop of effective Quarterbacks, why not go after a supposedly better field of RB's in this years Draft?

Scout

Reaction score
The offense is going to be running back driven now so you need a top tier back IMO. Think Titans model.

nwHawk

Reaction score
We’ll, not the same but Carson’s workout lately have been impressive. Just going to depend on those first points of contact. We won’t know how his body is going to respond until the pads get put on.

RiverDog

Reaction score

I agree with this line of thinking. First off, with few exceptions, the game hasn't been centered around a running back for some time. Most are not 3 down backs and come out of the game in passing situations. The position is the most injury prone in the game, so why spend such expensive draft capital on a player that's likely to spend as much time in the treatment room as he does on the field?

I have no problem drafting a running back, but no higher than the 4th round.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I have so much respect for Carson. He damned near killed himself fighting for extra yards to keep this team in contention.

I wish he had fought a little less so he didn't sacrifice his longevity but man he was a monster. Totally worth the occasional fumble honestly.

I really hope he can come back but also hope he doesn't keep running like he used to.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
To me it would appear that CC is likely very close to being done which is sad b/c you have to respect his tough running style, spinal injuries are very serious injuries and have ended more than one career here. Spinal fusions like he has had increase the chances of catastrophic injury leading to paralysis. His progress being slow is predictable and reflective of how seriously he was hurt. As ever there is predictable denial that comes from the player who wants to return.

Frankly while I hope he will be fine I quietly believe he that he likely knows that he has a fork stuck in him and is done. The team needs to draft a tough runner this draft like Damion Pearce, depending upon Penny is like relying upon hope that a player who has never played a full season in 4 years will magically stay healthy.

I doubt Carson plays this season.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Did he have a fusion? I haven't been able to find any reliable info on what surgery he had.