Chess…

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Is it just one move? Or do I have to assume what black will play in response?

If it was me, I'd move my queen to g4. I doubt that's correct for this puzzle, though.

Bobblehead

Reaction score

If it was me, I'd move my queen to g4. I doubt that's correct for this puzzle, though.
what the hell is g4? edit.. oh.. never mind :)

Bobblehead

Reaction score

Well if you went to G4...You risk your queen or your rook as the black pawn will move to f5 threaten both of your rook and queen, you will lose one of them.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I'm a gambler with reads 1 step at a time.. i'D GO down to a3 threaten the pawn down there and keep that diag line threatened as well.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I missed that fork, although you could trade queens and bust up black's pawn structure.

I also considered taking the pawn with the queen and offering a trade. I am not very good at chess though. I'm sure this puzzle isn't just about general strategy lol.

Last edited:

QWERTY

Reaction score
Yea... you guys are beginners.

Rxn is the easiest solution here because the White's knight is more valuable than the rook's at the moment.

Rxn Pxd4
Qe4 then NF3 for white.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Yea... you guys are beginners.

Rxn is the easiest solution here because the White's knight is more valuable than the rook's at the moment.

Rxn Pxd4
Qe4 then NF3 for white.
Thought of that, didn't like the disadvantage it gave black.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Perhaps we will never know the answer lol

Here is the game #4 recap by Antonio. You will find the answer to the puzzle here. If you are in a hurry, fast-forward to 13:10 and start there.

This is game #6. Ding wins again with tactical genius for about the last 8 moves. You can stop the video several places and make your own puzzle.

This match has been so much different than the Magnus matches where nearly all games end in a draw, as Magnus just grinds down his opponents.

These guys are battling to the death, as 4 of the first 6 games ended in wins, each winning twice.

If you don’t want to watch live, Antonio’s recaps are wonderful. Enjoy.

Last edited:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Interesting. I actually did watch that recap on Gothamchess's channel. Didn't remember it enough to realize that was where the puzzle was from.

Pretty difficult for somebody or my skill level. I don't consider myself a beginner, but I fluctuate around 1100 when I'm trying, which is more or less average for experienced chess players.

I understand the game, but a lot of options elude me, and I blunder, and don't really know much about advanced theory.

Been trying to review my games more though and see how/why I did or didn't win. Often times I win only because my opponent didn't capitalize on my mistakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Interesting. I actually did watch that recap on Gothamchess's channel. Didn't remember it enough to realize that was where the puzzle was from.

Pretty difficult for somebody or my skill level. I don't consider myself a beginner, but I fluctuate around 1100 when I'm trying, which is more or less average for experienced chess players.

I understand the game, but a lot of options elude me, and I blunder, and don't really know much about advanced theory.

Been trying to review my games more though and see how/why I did or didn't win. Often times I win only because my opponent didn't capitalize on my mistakes.

That is one of the great things about chess. At age 76, I can’t play well anymore, but still understand the game and can enjoy it as a fan.

Same with golf. I can’t play anymore (after 45 years golfing), but really enjoy watching it on TV.

If you have ever played a game, you can appreciate it on a different level than someone who has never played. I never played football, so I listen to people on the forum who have.

Nepo jumped ahead again in game 7, but it was nowhere near as brilliant as Ding’s win in game 6.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score

Well, it is over and congrats to Ding. Nepo must be feeling like Jim Kelly after losing to Magnus and now to Ding.

Did you see game 12? Nepo already was ahead in the match and had the initiative. I can’t say it was a winning position, but he had the advantage. Then, he made a horrible blunder. It was so bad even I saw it immediately, and there was no way to recover. He resigned the game.

I guess it makes us all feel a LITTLE better about our own blunders.

Last edited: