Cassius Marsh and Bruce Irvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

pehawk

Reaction score
I actually like both their play.

Irvin's been the Hawks best edge rusher this year, IMO. His to glaring mistakes we're coaxed by savvy, really savvy vets. River's knew exactly what he was doing on that sideline play. And, Irvin's pressure and whiff on Romo is why Romo. Romo made Watt look worse the week previous.

Marsh is still feeling things out, he'll get there. What Marsh is bringing is some tenacity and hustle. Dude's relentless and high-motor, that pays dividends.

XOXO

Jeff Bryant

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's too early to tell for either player, actually.

Irvin came out of college raw. He publicly admitted the extent of his coaching in college was "line up here and go get the QB". One of those years, WVU ran a 3-3-5 which had Irvin lined head up against OG's and inside technique on OT's. Needless to say, at 235 he didn't learn much that year.

Then in his second year, we switched him to a position that he'd never played before, at any level, and he was respectable at an NFL level.

Now, due to lack of pass rush, we've pushed him back to the DL, but he also plays in space as a LBer. I honestly think he's going to be great in space, but he is still learning. It takes some guys longer, and the dumb penalties are aggravating, but he's giving 100% effort out there.

Marsh is a rookie, obviously it's too early to tell how he's doing, or what his potential is.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Here, we go again with ill advised hate based on Bruce Irvin's stat-line and that one bone-headed mistake that justifies their whole reasoning on why Bruce Irvin sucks.

Yet, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Irvin is leading this team in pressures per pass-rush snaps despite his lack of sacks.

Speaking of sacks, Irvin should very well could have had 5 right now despite playing in only 4 games.

2 in the GB game:

1. Where Bennett dove at Rodgers feet, tripping Irvin in the process and allowing Rodgers to escape.
2. Where Irvin was flagarantly tackled by the LT Bulaga after beating him really bad which resulted in -15 yards, so it had a sack likeeffect.

1 in the WASH game where Trent Williams not only throws a block into Irvin's facemask, but Irvin still beats him, and would have had the sack, if not for Williams diving and tripping Irvin with a shoestring grab. Both infractions ofcourse went unnoticed by the ref like most of everything the Redskins did in that game..

2 in the DAL game:

1. His actual and only sack stat.
2. Where Irvin got Romo'd on the 3rd and 20 play. But its a mistake that should motivate him more going forward and another lesson he'll learn in anticipating the escape. JJ Watt, an overall MVP candidate this year, also got Romo'd for a 37 yard TD pass to Terrance Williams. Romo is just really good at escaping pressure, yet he still ended up his actual target Witten because of Bruce only for Terrance Williams to bail out the Cowboys with a spectacular play on the ball.

And those are the only ones I remember specifically. That's 1 sack and 4 should have been, could have been possible ones.

Irvin is doing quite well. And frankly his only real blemish so far this season was a bone-headed Personal Foul... yet I doubt any of the haters would have given him props, if he didn't commit the foul, and was instead the reason why Rivers couldn't complete the first down.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3sbuk1by said:
sc85sis":3sbuk1by said:
How long are we punishing Bruce for a single penalty that occurred weeks ago? He's actually been playing very well, but much of what he's being asked to do doesn't show up in a stat sheet.

He played very well in the Skins game, but was not very effective Sunday, and his whiffed sack that would have won the game still has me fired up.

Am I hard on Bruce? Yes, because I'm tired of talking about the inconsistent Bruce Irvin and am waiting for him to finally realize his potential as the player we all thought we were getting when he was drafted.

Romo sidestepped JJ Watt the week before. Hand it to the man for being hard to tackle instead of bagging Irvin for making the same error as an All Pro.

Chawks1

Reaction score
I like Irvin's play this year. He is making plays. If you want be down on someone get down on Cliff Avril. He is supposed to be getting the sacks this year. That is his only job! I kept hearing how he was going to have an All Pro season and rack up 15 sacks.....he is getting $7m this year and right now he's just collecting his check.

blkhwk

Reaction score
"Owned" may have been a poor choice of words to use to describe Marsh's play, but he isn't getting much done in the pressure dept., and no, stats are not a great measure of play but when you are comparing defensive players, its pretty much apples to oranges to compare a LB or DE (who is supposed to be a pass rusher) to a 3-tech DT.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Keep in mind Irvin's biggest hole in his game as a rookie was against the run.

This year he is very good at setting the edge; he is almost unblockable with a TE. The only really bad play I could see in the Dallas game was getting sealed to the outside by Tyron Smith (one of the best LT's in the game right now). Even then, it's not a bad thing; you'd rather be sealed to the outside than sealed to the inside. You get sealed inside as a DE and the RB can bounce outside and has the entire field to play with on that side with only a CB to stop him. Irvin did his job and directed the play back to the LBers. Sure, he could've beat the block, but the rest of the defense really didn't do that last game, so why get down on Irvin for it ?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":221tp8xc said:
How long are we punishing Bruce for a single penalty that occurred weeks ago? He's actually been playing very well, but much of what he's being asked to do doesn't show up in a stat sheet.

This!

Like Marsh but he plays on the left side spelling Avril.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I am definitely not in the happy with Irvin camp, but I put little of that on Irvin himself, and more of that on those that scouted / drafted him (way too high). The PEDs? Well, after being manhandled the majority of his rookie season, and a ton expected from him (again see poor draft placement), I'm not surprised he chose to dabble with an equalizer.

BUT....Irvin has a motor. I have zero knock on the guy's effort and that's a helluva' good start place. But when his deal is up, this is one cat that should definitely be willing to go Costco for us.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I haven't seen Marsh done jack shit out there besides getting owned

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
By all accounts Bruce has developed into a better person than he was as a youngster, he is also developing as a player. He definitely was taken to high and his ceiling isnt near as high as people thought. His small frame is similar to what we thought we had in Manny Lawson. Bruce does some things well but does do any one thing great. As for Marsh, what can you say. Hes a rookie, he has no sacks and qb pressures. If Seattle had a better player to put in his position they would do it.

pehawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":a4p1lqp4 said:
Hawk Strap":a4p1lqp4 said:
Bruce Irvin would lose a spelling bee to a McRib sandwich

Wow ok can we ban this guy for racism please... ?

With Holden Krieg in utero, I explained to my 4yo daughter that men breast feed boy babies. I told her that once he's born my bosom will grow and lil Holden will be nursing off of daddy. She believed that for a good few weeks.

The above story is true and as germane as your comment is.

XOXO

Jimmy the Greek

Scottemojo

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1aojoxnw said:
Hawk Strap":1aojoxnw said:

Calling a guy dumb is now racism? Or are McRibs now considered a race? I can't figure out what you mean.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
To me the one player that is not generating the pass rush we need is Jordan Hill. That may be the reason that they signed Greg Scruggs back onto the squad. Clinton McDonald provided rush and he would collapse the pocket if he couldn't get to the quarterback. That is the biggest change I see. Our ends are playing Ok.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think our pass rush is fine. River's and Romo we're forced to be magicians in the pocket and complete hard throws into tight windows.

Sacks are down across the league too...it's not just Seattle that's having an issue finishing those plays.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3hwikwlq said:
therealjohncarlson":3hwikwlq said:
Hawk Strap":3hwikwlq said:

Calling a guy dumb is now racism? Or are McRibs now considered a race? I can't figure out what you mean.

McRibs are 1) delicious and 2) not "real" ribs but random meat in the shape of ribs.

So no....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts