Preseason Eval, Game 3

xgeoff

Reaction score
Again, I am not going to panic based on anything that happens in pre-season. However, these are my observations of game 3. And I'll just say that I really hope the O-Line can get their act together...

1st Team Defense

I continue to be impressed with the first team defense. With backups in the safety position and a new cornerback, they are stingy on points and really make the opposing offenses work. Was interesting to see Kris Richard call some blitzes, which I thought were effective. I do have some major concerns, though, including the following:

— still not sure who is going to step up and play opposite Sherman at the other CB. Good news is that I haven’t seen anyone burned.
— Is Kam coming back? His backup is playing well, but not nearly as well as Kam. If he continues to hold out, that is a huge problem.
— The defensive tackles, except for Michael Bennett, continue to struggle in both stopping the run and rushing the passer. I had heard that Mebane was playing better than ever, but I don’t see it in the games. Need him to start beating the guy across from him.

KJ Wright

Continues to play amazingly well. Better than I’ve ever seen him, and at an elite level in general. Is reading what is happening in the backfield and has upped his pass coverage ability, which was problematic in the past.

Jesse Williams

When he was in, looked good at stopping the run. Might like him starting in front of Mebane.

Frank Clark

Gets better every time I see him. I love this guy. He literally ran over a San Diego Lineman and Philip Rivers on a pass play. Clark looked like a runaway truck and Rivers was roadkill. Rivers was so upset he wouldn’t let go of Clark and San Diego ended up getting a penalty which set up Lockett’s return. I said it before but I LOVE THIS PICK!

Bruce Irvin

He’s no Frank Clark. He’s no KJ Wright. He’s just OK. Not worth the money. Made some good plays, got owned on others, including a critical 3rd down throw to Stevie Johnson right in front of him! If he is going to bitch about his contract, go out and PLAY LIKE YOU DESERVE IT! At least Michael Bennett does that, which I can respect.

Tyler Lockett

Continues to validate our draft pick. Those people who think we reached on him are CRAZY! Is EXACTLY what we needed. Another electric return for a TD!

Offensive Line

Continues struggles, primarily in pass protection. In general just too much penetration by the defense, on both run and pass plays.

Justin Britt

His pass protection, even at left guard, is abysmal. His run blocking didn’t look much better.

Alvin Bailey

Needs to step it up. I think he has a lot of potential at Left Tackle, but his pass protection was not good :(

Drew Nowak

Needs to work on pass protection, big time.

Terry Poole

Looked awful in pass protection at Left Tackle.

JR Sweezy

Actually thought he did fairly well in pass protection, maybe the only one. Thought he failed on some critical run blocking, like Turbin’s 7 yard loss on the goal line :(

Russell Wilson

I think Russ is fine, he just has no time to throw, as usual. Such a gifted runner. Has to deal with the O-line and with pass plays that just don’t seem to result in open receivers. Whether that is the route trees, or the receivers or what, i don’t know. What I know is that almost all of our catches are contested. Very rarely do I see a pass completion to a receiver who is open in space. I think the last one I remember was Luke Wilson against the Cardinals. What a beautiful game that was.

Kevin Smith

Thought he looked good as a receiver and punt returner. Better than BJ Daniels, for sure, and an adequate backup to Tyler Lockett.

Will Blackmon

Got owned by Stevie Johnson, but overall not too bad as a nickel back. Wouldn’t want to see him as anything else, though.

Brock Coyle

Have not been impressed with him up to this point, but thought he played well at times and think he might be a good backup to Wagner. Made a great stop on the goal line.

Cary Williams

Not sure I feel that he’s the guy. He didn’t grade out well in Philly. And seems VERY susceptible to the slant. We spent a boatload of money that I would rather have seen go to Kam or Bennett. 3 yrs, $18 mil, WTF!

Cassius Marsh

I like this guy and his long ass arms. Punched a ball out on special teams that, unfortunately, went out of bounds. Seems active and smart on defense.

Tharald Simon

Looked much better in coverage, which is promising! Thought he was a disaster last year, especially in the Super Bowl.

Christine Michael

Looked average except for one really nice cutback run.

Rod Smith

I want to see this guy carry the ball more. He comes the closest of the Seahawks RB's, in my opinion, to running with the physicality of Marshawn.

Walter Burleigh

Looked fast and active. Saved a touchdown on a reverse. Liked what I saw, and I wasn’t a fan of his last year.

Kevin Pierre-Louis

Love the guys speed and nose for the ball on run plays. Needs to diagnose passes when he is in coverage. Seems like many of the younger linebackers, like Coyle and Pierre-louis, need to anticipate better when in zone pass coverage.