Carroll: We'd love to have Marshawn Lynch back in 2015.

McGruff

Reaction score
Lynch's back issues aren't any more frequent. He's always been held out of practice for them, and many games in previous year's he was listed as probable/questionable due to spasms. Spasms, like attitude, are part of the package with Marshawn.

However, his age, mileage and running style, combined with chronic back issues, make me believe its time to find plan b and move on sooner than later. Whether that's 2014 or 2015 I don't know, but I doubt he plays for us beyond his current contract.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I know people are happy....but Carroll is not going to say "we don't want him back".

They will try to make him restructure or take a pay cut, he will not....and they will move on giving them the out. It happens ALL THE TIME. I don't see this being any different.

Livin in reality :thirishdrinkers:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sad reality is that Father Time is a ruthless equalizer and vicious competitor. Sooner or later he wins the race ending the useful career of every player. Lynch's running style, which we love helps FT in the goal of winning the battle.

I love Marshawn yet sadly agree totally with you. I supose the team might be able to work out a 2 year deal with him which extends him a season or two w/o creating a huge dead money issue. At present Lynch looks as if the end is not immediate, but RBs reach a cliff in terms of production and the drop off for most all of them is sharp.

The only thing said about moving on from Lynch from the team was in the middle of Lynch's holdout when Bevell said the team was looking at a RBBC plan to platoon the guys they had. I'm sure that PO'd Lynch. All this the team is moving on from garage is media created speculation based on contract or age or some supposed belief the team has had enough of Lynch's antics ( what antics?). Wild speculation and pure conjecture replaces responsible reporting b/c it capture more eyes as far as Lynch is concerned. Lynch is a key part of the team and will be undoubtedly hard to replace but everyone gets replaced in time.

All in all I'd believe he'll be here next season if he wants to be here.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":26kdj2hk said:
I know people are happy....but Carroll is not going to say "we don't want him back".

They will try to make him restructure or take a pay cut, he will not....and they will move on giving them the out. It happens ALL THE TIME. I don't see this being any different.

Livin in reality :thirishdrinkers:

Living in reality, or just being contrarian? youve been pretty adamant about your feelings on Lynch in numerous threads.

Way would he not restructure his deal?

His market value as a near 30 year old running back wont be any better somewhere else.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Maybe I'm jaded but Pete was quite frank pre-season about the fact that they had a contract and he expected Lynch to honor it. Him once again saying we have a contract for 2015 is really just the same song. Doubt it will shut down the press at all. They will just regurgitate the same old shite until something comes of it.

nbk35zw

Reaction score
In the end, Marshawn, or better yet, Marshawn's body, will be the one to decide.

I love Marshawn. Hell, I have argued to extend him, even if just to show him some love for additional guaranteed money in 2015, with any remaining years not guaranteed but showing the respect he has earned.

I believe Marshawn will ask to be paid requisite to his production and necessity to the team. He will ask for market value. If I were GM, I would reward him with an exension knowing full well 2015 would most likely be his last. Pay him the 10-12M he is worth next year, with a respectful number for subsequent years if there is still a marriage to be had.

In truth, Marshawn is a crazy smart guy. He plays his cards better than most. He has created an identity off the field using an approach completely opposite to that of Sherman. Now, on the field, both Marshawn and Richard go about their business with effort and excellence.

Finally, Lynch is really smart to avoid the media. Look at what just happened to Blount and Tate for having "spoken" to the media. They got cut. They lost their leverage.

I love me some Lynch.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1y0quh3a said:
HoustonHawk82":1y0quh3a said:
(cough, cough...)

Adrian Peterson

(...cough, cough)

absolutely.... if not Lynch, get AP.

If anything, team needs to understand what they are, and thats playing behind a high caliber running game.

Besides the potential controversy, AP is a year older than Lynch.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
As soon as Percy was cut and Christine Michael blarrghed this year I thought the talk of Lynch not playing out his deal was crazy. After next year he'll be a 30 year old RB with a chronic back problem so there's no chance they'll resign him after that (IMO), but with what has happened this year cutting him at the end of the season would be crazy, IMO. Percy being off the books means they don't have to.

In a weird sort of way, in the long-term, Wagner's injury this year and Wilson's less than stellar play might work out for the Hawks. If things continue this year at their current rate the Hawks could be saving 4-6 million a year on combined extensions for those guys.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1ihs3o0w said:
HoustonHawk82":1ihs3o0w said:
(cough, cough...)

Adrian Peterson

(...cough, cough)

If anything, team needs to understand what they are, and thats playing behind a high caliber running game.

Would you want that PR mess on your franchise? Signing a player like AP so soon after all this stuff happened basically says that our franchise does NOT care about child abuse. It would be touchy for A LOT of people.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
nbk35zw":1do035k5 said:
In the end, Marshawn, or better yet, Marshawn's body, will be the one to decide.

Marshawn is STILL running hard, but remember an extension is usually for what 3-4 years? I think his body is starting to show signs. Where as the past years they managed him by giving him a day break every practice week. I feel like this season we're starting to see him taking more than a day break every other game. We had one game where his back just wasn't cooperating, and he didn't come out for the opening series. We had this game where he stayed on the field at half to keep things moving. There was another instance where he jumped in the end zone and he didn't spring up quite so fast as Marshawn usually does. I'm NOT saying he's done or even close. But even from where we sit, his body is starting to show SOME signs. It's definitely worth taking note especially if you're going to sign him to a 3-5 year extension. And I don't think a player like Marshawn is going to settle for a 1-2 year extension.

On a side note we're not at the practices, we're not in the training room. His back issues could be more serious than the FO is admitting as well. For all we know, it could be one bad hit away from something terrible.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Any bets that we now will see another chapter in the Seahwks are moving on from Lynch 'reporting series' from that dickwad Rapoport?

That jerk just likes to stir the pot and report speculative nonsense to capture views.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1jwux6il said:
FiveThirtyEight has released its Elo Ratings and Projections:
Probability of making the playoffs: 47%

Projected wins: 9.3

Overall power ranking: 3rd (behind New England and Arizona)

Not to douse the fire, but ELO ratings are a pretty low power statistic that IMO just get publicity because people don't understand how it works and because Nate Silver promotes it.

Just add up W & Ls for the rest of the season using the current point spreads and you'll roughly get to the ELO rating predication.

I know it's heresy, but QBR is a better and more informative stat than ELO, IMO.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The biggest threat to Lynch not being back next year is him deciding to retire. He was VERY close to doing that after the Super Bowl and he may decide to do that after this year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1g3semt9 said:
Uncle Si":1g3semt9 said:
HoustonHawk82":1g3semt9 said:
(cough, cough...)

Adrian Peterson

(...cough, cough)

Besides the potential controversy, AP is a year older than Lynch.

but coming off a full year off... not advocating for him over Lynch. But if we are moving on from Lynch, why not?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That sounds like a good statement, but it's not.

"Sure we'd love to have him back in 2015" is not the same as "we'd love to find a way to extend Marshawn's contract so here's here for a long time."

Lynch doesn't just want to be back on a one year deal, he wants a big extension. So the fact that Pete isn't on the same page with this statement tells me that they're not on the same page...............and thus doesn't ease my anxiety over Lynch leaving one bit.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
"We'd love to him back... but Russell Wilson is about to make 25M a year"

- What Pete is really saying

If Russ pulls a Kaepernick and takes a very team friendly deal.. then maybe Lynch stays.. otherwise, I don't see it happening.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2qct2ruu said:
That sounds like a good statement, but it's not.

"Sure we'd love to have him back in 2015" is not the same as "we'd love to find a way to extend Marshawn's contract so here's here for a long time."

Lynch doesn't just want to be back on a one year deal, he wants a big extension. So the fact that Pete isn't on the same page with this statement tells me that they're not on the same page...............and thus doesn't ease my anxiety over Lynch leaving one bit.

do we know that Lynch wants a "big extension"? is that extension monetary or years? is 2 years enough>

I agree that Pete's words are more to address the need to discuss it than anything else. But we dont really know where the sides are apart.

We know Lynch held out. We know we threw a bit more money his way. We know he wants more years. We dont know the two sides are on the same page, not on the same page, or if Carroll just felt the need to finally say "yeah, we want him back, can we move on from this conversation now"

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":laqacod3 said:
We know Lynch held out. We know we threw a bit more money his way. We know he wants more years. We dont know the two sides are on the same page, not on the same page, or if Carroll just felt the need to finally say "yeah, we want him back, can we move on from this conversation now"

All true, but if they were on the same page then I think we'd be hearing all these "inside sources" talking about the two sides are in conversations about a 1-2 year extension...........and not all the other crap we're reading and hearing about dysfunction.

I don't think Lynch wants a 5 year extension. I think he'd go for a 1-2 year extension, but it's the money that he's mad about. He sees himself as the best RB in the league (hard to argue), and he wants to be paid as such. Not the 5th best, not the 3rd best........THE best.

So when I say "big extension" I mean $$$, not years.

Latest posts