Cardinals schedule vs. Seahawks schedule

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
So basically the only way the Seahawks have a shot at stealing the division away is if the Cardinals lose 2 of their next 3 .. however, stranger things have happened..

Arizona's next 3:
vs. Minnesota - December 10
at Philadelphia - December 20
vs. Green Bay - December 27

Seattle's next 3:
at Baltimore - December 13
vs. Cleveland - December 20
vs. St. Louis - December 27

Division math is easy

2 Cardinals wins = Cardinals NFC West Champs
2 Cardinals losses + 3 Seahawks wins = Week 17 game is for the division
1 Cardinal win + 1 Seahawk loss = Cardinals NFC West Champs
0 Cardinal wins + 2 Seahawk losses = Cardinals NFC West Champs (in other words if the Cards went on a skid but Seattle also did..)

So needless to say, Thursday's game is really big.. just to crack open that door a little bit.

Polaris

Reaction score
Unfortunately for our division hopes, we just tenderized the Vikings for the Cardinals. Based on what I saw today and what I've seen of the Vikings all year, I don't think they have a snowball's chance in hell of winning in Arizona *especially* on a short week. Honestly I'm not entirely sure I want them to either. While it would keep our very slim division title hopes alive, right now I'm not sure I want it unless we get the week off to go with it. OTOH if the Cardinals win, Seattle is a virtual shoo-in for the #5 seed.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Polaris":1c9f7sxq said:
Unfortunately for our division hopes, we just tenderized the Vikings for the Cardinals. Based on what I saw today and what I've seen of the Vikings all year, I don't think they have a snowball's chance in hell of winning in Arizona *especially* on a short week. Honestly I'm not entirely sure I want them to either. While it would keep our very slim division title hopes alive, right now I'm not sure I want it unless we get the week off to go with it. OTOH if the Cardinals win, Seattle is a virtual shoo-in for the #5 seed.

To play devil's advocate to this, look how many defensive guys they were down today, if they get those guys back .. much different team.

Adrian Peterson also only had 8 touches. I almost think Zimmer kind of waived the white flag early today when he saw his team dropping like flies

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
I don't give Min a snowball in hells chance to win that game. MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE Philly can beat the Cards in Philly and MAYBE the fudgers can topple them if Erin has a great game and Carson has a slip up game. Slim chance both those happen, but stranger things have happened...

Polaris

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1lenucny said:
Polaris":1lenucny said:

To play devil's advocate to this, look how many defensive guys they were down today, if they get those guys back .. much different team.

Adrian Peterson also only had 8 touches. I almost think Zimmer kind of waived the white flag early today when he saw his team dropping like flies

Yeah, but do you really think those guys are going to be back by Thursday? I sure don't.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I am a very optimistic fan but see hardly any chance we can catch Arizona unless we see Carson Palmer go out for the season next week. We are going to have to do it on the road this year which I have no doubt this team can do. I still think we are a better team than Arizona but they have too big of a lead and are good enough with Palmer at QB that they will not meltdown again.

Davidess

Reaction score
While unlikely because I cant see a coach like zimmer doing this. but I wonder if he sat Barr and Smith this week because of the short week. maybe going in with the idea that they're more likely to face a tie (playoff standings) with the Cards then the hawks and would rather have Barr and Smith suit up for that than against the Hawks.

They flashed to the sideline quite a bit during the game and I don't know if I ever saw Barr/Smith in street clothes..they were wearing their game gear.

kf3339

Reaction score
Were not catching Arizona so no use trying to figure out the odds. I don't see Arizona imploding enough for us to catch them, and also being the #2 seed for a bye week. That is the only reason one would entertain the odds of catching Arizona at this point in the season. Our loss a few weeks back to them sealed that chance to me.

The real deal is to make sure we get the 5 seed by the end of the season. That basically gives us a near win since NO TEAM in the NFC East can beat us in the playoffs.

I feel we are getting on a roll and this team heading downhill at full steam is nearly impossible to stop.

Decimation

Reaction score
No way the Seahawks catch the Cardinals this year, but weird things happen in the NFL.

The Lions blew out the Eagles 45-14 the week prior on Thanksgiving. Guess who they beat today? The Patriots! 35-28.

Yes we beat down the Vikings and they probably won't beat the Cardinals, but hey any given Sunday! (Or Thursday for that matter)

Davidess

Reaction score
Decimation":vkmf3sw3 said:
No way the Seahawks catch the Cardinals this year, but weird things happen in the NFL.

The Lions blew out the Eagles 45-14 the week prior on Thanksgiving. Guess who they beat today? The Patriots! 35-28.

Yes we beat down the Vikings and they probably won't beat the Cardinals, but hey any given Sunday! (Or Thursday for that matter)

I love how you speak in an absolute but saying they wont catch the cards then go onto basically say it could happen. haha but yeah chance of getting them is slim but yeah it could happen. 2012 we were literally .5 games behind the niners and it was all because of that damn tie SF got. we go on a run and maybe AZ drops a couple..it will be an interesting couple weeks.

kearly

Reaction score
If Seattle wins in week 17 to tie Arizona then the tiebreaker would come down to common opponents. Of the remaining teams, Minny and GB are the common opponents that matter, assuming Seattle wins out. If AZ loses both, then Seattle gets the common games tiebreaker. If they lose one, and then lose to Philly, then the tiebreaker would move on to the next criteria which is strength of victory. Strength of victory will likely favor AZ since they beat Cincy.

So most likely, AZ will unofficially clinch the division if they beat Minny on Thursday. It won't become official until later on when strength of victory sorts itself out, but unless AZ drops both games to Minny and GB, the division is probably theirs even if Seattle ties with a win in week 17.

Rob12

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I'm looking forward to this team going on the road and running the table in the playoffs. It would seem like the perfect "next step" for this team. The amount of adversity that they have overcome thus far has been awesome to see.

There's not a single team in the NFC that I'd feel truly nervous about in the playoffs - even in their house. Not the Panthers, not the Cardinals, and not the Packers. Reading Twitter no opposing team's fans wants any part of this team in the playoffs. I even saw GB fans rooting for the Vikings today because they don't want the Seahawks in the playoffs. How telling is that?

This team is firing on all cylinders right now. Considering their history, there's no reason to believe that they won't keep it going.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think we'll be better served on the road. Teams almost seem to be inspired coming to Seattle. We're getting their best shot at home.

Get the #5 seed to go to the NFC East winner. They've beaten Carolina in Carolina in each of the last three seasons. They've won in Arizona the last two years.

Another thing -- finishing second in the division might help the Seahawks. They'd avoid having to go to Lambeau again next year presuming the Packers win the AFC North. Instead they'd go to Minnesota. That went well yesterday.

I'm rooting for the Cards on Thursday.

(FWIW -- that Philly game looks a little trickier today after they beat the Pats. If the Eagles get hot and can sniff the NFC East title, they could prove a difficult opponent for ARI. And the Green Bay game could go either way if Rodgers is on it)

NJlargent

Reaction score
I think that the division is long gone. However, if the defense that showed up yesterday shows up for the remainder of the season then I really do not think it matters. That Seattle squad yesterday beats Arizona 7 out of 10 times. I think we are getting either the Packers, Arizona or the East winner in the opening round. I would prefer to avoid GB (or a hot Philly team if they now go on a run). Arizona or Redskins/Giants is fine. If we win, we almost are assuredly going to Carolina in the divisional round where they will have been off 2 weeks and potentially rusty. That's when you want to play them.

I just hope we continue to play like we have been playing and the defense from yesterday continues. If so, we are a major threat. If the defense gets soft again, then none of this matters.

themunn

Reaction score
hgwellz12":rhe6igic said:
^Zimmer TOTALLY Bevell'd this game in regards to AP...and AP said as much in his post game interview.

Well, not really, they got him involved in the first half, but penalties, poor plays and some great defence (e.g. Shead's 12 yard TFL) put them in obvious passing downs a number of times, as did a 2 minute drill interception.

They opened the third quarter with 2 AP runs, a 3rd down penalty puts them in 3rd and 14 and they go 3 and out, their next drive was the one which had a 1st and 38.

The next time their offense got the ball was at 35-7.

They could have run AP 100 times, but as we saw against Arizona, penalties kill drives.

RCATES

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2n3osrku said:
So basically the only way the Seahawks have a shot at stealing the division away is if the Cardinals lose 2 of their next 3 .. however, stranger things have happened..

Arizona's next 3:
vs. Minnesota - December 10
at Philadelphia - December 20
vs. Green Bay - December 27

Seattle's next 3:
at Baltimore - December 13
vs. Cleveland - December 20
vs. St. Louis - December 27

Division math is easy

2 Cardinals wins = Cardinals NFC West Champs
2 Cardinals losses + 3 Seahawks wins = Week 17 game is for the division
1 Cardinal win + 1 Seahawk loss = Cardinals NFC West Champs
0 Cardinal wins + 2 Seahawk losses = Cardinals NFC West Champs (in other words if the Cards went on a skid but Seattle also did..)

So needless to say, Thursday's game is really big.. just to crack open that door a little bit.

As far as the "2 Cardinals losses + 3 Seahawks wins = Week 17 game is for the division" scenario. Minnesota would have to deal Arizona one of those 2 losses. If Arizona won against Vikings but lost to "Philly and GB" they would still win the division being tied with Hawks at 11-5 at seasons end after a Hawks win in Arizona. If Arizona wins Thursday they win the division even if they lose out.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":3zwnc0c9 said:
If Seattle wins in week 17 to tie Arizona then the tiebreaker would come down to common opponents. Of the remaining teams, Minny and GB are the common opponents that matter, assuming Seattle wins out. If AZ loses both, then Seattle gets the common games tiebreaker. If they lose one, and then lose to Philly, then the tiebreaker would move on to the next criteria which is strength of victory. Strength of victory will likely favor AZ since they beat Cincy.

So most likely, AZ will unofficially clinch the division if they beat Minny on Thursday. It won't become official until later on when strength of victory sorts itself out, but unless AZ drops both games to Minny and GB, the division is probably theirs even if Seattle ties with a win in week 17.

Excellent point

BlueTalons

Reaction score
mikeak":1fv2e4bm said:
kearly":1fv2e4bm said:

Excellent point
Basically we would need Steelers and Cowboys total wins >= Bengals and Saints total wins. Chew on THAT for a second!! :stirthepot:

RCATES

Reaction score
BlueTalons":2b5k0bp3 said:
mikeak":2b5k0bp3 said:
kearly":2b5k0bp3 said:

Excellent point
Basically we would need Steelers and Cowboys total wins >= Bengals and Saints total wins. Chew on THAT for a second!! :stirthepot:

Wow you're right. Steelers could win out. Bengals could easily lose to Pitt at home and then @DEN. A win for Dallas tonight could be huge looking at their remaining schedule.