Capping off a disappointing draft

vonstout

Reaction score
Although I like some of the picks, we may have reached too early for our first two picks. The fact that we have 4 TEs on our roster that all have some NFL success and too many guards on the roster, we took both a guard and TE in this draft. Lewis instead of the tackle, Jones, was a mistake IMO unless Lewis actually wins the starting job. The icing on the cake is giving up a sixth rounder in next years draft to take A NOTHER TE that probably won't even make our roster. We didn't draft a CB or OT and now have 6 TEs. I think Arizona and SF both improved their teams a lot more than we did so it could be a rough year. I hope I'm wrong

Seahawker

Reaction score
vonstout":35umfcad said:
Although I like some of the picks, we may have reached too early for our first two picks. The fact that we have 4 TEs on our roster that all have some NFL success and too many guards on the roster, we took both a guard and TE in this draft. Lewis instead of the tackle, Jones, was a mistake IMO unless Lewis actually wins the starting job. The icing on the cake is giving up a sixth rounder in next years draft to take A NOTHER TE that probably won't even make our roster. We didn't draft a CB or OT and now have 6 TEs. I think Arizona and SF both improved their teams a lot more than we did so it could be a rough year. I hope I'm wrong

On the plus side at least you got a nice avatar.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I suspect your opinion could change significantly at TE and G depending on how the rest of the off-season plays out. The quantity we have is mostly non-guaranteed contracts who are there to compete but are nowhere near being locks to make the roster.

TE
- TE1: Dissly has 2 years remaining and has not stayed healthy yet
- TE2: Olsen is 35 years old and on a one year deal
- TE3: Hollister's money is not guaranteed and we save $3.3m if we cut him
- TE4: Willson's money is unknown but likely not guaranteed either
- TE5: Johnson looks like a camp body.

OG
- Fluker's one year remaining has only 500k guaranteed
- Iupati's one year deal us unknown but likely has few guarantees
- Warmack's one year deal has zero guarantees
- Haynes has three years left on a cheap deal
- Knox has two years left on a cheap deal
- Pocic has one year remaining on a cheap deal
- Roos has one year remaining on a cheap deal
- McKenzie has one year remaining on a cheap deal

xray

Reaction score
plug & play rookies in year 1 are hard to get no matter the position . If the Hawks come out of this draft with 2 studs that can start...I will be happy . :D

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
The first pick COULD pan out, I don’t think the second pick will, but the rest of the picks were actually quite impressive in my opinion. Just my take of course.

getnasty

Reaction score
TE was puzzling to me. I get one of them but not two and they seem like such a repeat of a pick. Your keeping Olsen, Dissly and Hollister as your 3rd stringer is great. Like i said puzzling.

OP
OP
vonstout

vonstout

Reaction score
My point is giving up a 6th rounder next year for a 6th TE that at best will be a 3rd TE doesn’t make much sense. 7th roundpicks don’t make many rosters and if they do, it doesn’t say much for our roster depth.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I am probably in the minority, but I really like what Hawks drafted. I think this was one of their better hauls lately.

OP
OP
vonstout

vonstout

Reaction score
AgentDib":yyt8acsh said:
I suspect your opinion could change significantly at TE and G depending on how the rest of the off-season plays out. The quantity we have is mostly non-guaranteed contracts who are there to compete but are nowhere near being locks to make the roster.

TE
- TE1: Dissly has 2 years remaining and has not stayed healthy yet
- TE2: Olsen is 35 years old and on a one year deal
- TE3: Hollister's money is not guaranteed and we save $3.3m if we cut him
- TE4: Willson's money is unknown but likely not guaranteed either
- TE5: Johnson looks like a camp body.

OG
- Fluker's one year remaining has only 500k guaranteed
- Iupati's one year deal us unknown but likely has few guarantees
- Warmack's one year deal has zero guarantees
- Haynes has three years left on a cheap deal
- Knox has two years left on a cheap deal
- Pocic has one year remaining on a cheap deal
- Roos has one year remaining on a cheap deal
- McKenzie has one year remaining on a cheap deal

You didn’t include:

C/G Finley
C/G Fuller
G Simmons

I would hope we could find two starters out of that list. I understand a lot of these guys won’t make the final roster, but we had a much bigger need at tackle and Jones was there. I hope it works out.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Seahawker76":2ifb76dr said:
vonstout":2ifb76dr said:

On the plus side at least you got a nice avatar.
+1 Actually the pair is near perfection

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think they filled a few holes nicely.
Got quality and depth at a few positions now. Wish they would have picked up one more RB
And one more corner but that can be addressed though trades and other FA pick ups.

The competition at WR and TE will be fierce. They are going to cut a couple of good WR’s by the end of preseason.

OP
OP
vonstout

vonstout

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":to1u5w2i said:
The competition at WR and TE will be fierce. They are going to cut a couple of good WR’s by the end of preseason.

I agree for TE. Not sure what you are talking about at WR. Other than Lockett, Metcalf, and Phillips, we don’t have anyone who is viable starter.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
vonstout":ervw9o31 said:

A few notes:

Firstly, I think we should address what we all think roster needs are. Personally, I see tight end as a need, which sounds ridiculous with how many players they have there. But, going over the guys there who actually have NFL level talent, we're reduced to Dissly, Willson, Olsen, and Hollister. Olsen is old, and will be gone after this year. Willson and Hollister are both fringe talents on one year deals. Dissly is a bona fide TE1... but with some serious durability concerns.

So, looking at who we actually have at the position, there's not a lot of quality talent there - and what is there is either unreliable or temporary. It's a position that is of fairly decent importance to the offense, and had the team sat around with their thumbs up their butts, we'd be looking around in 2021 going "what happened?" like John Travolta in Pulp Fiction. Better to draft a couple guys now with some high upside.

TL;DR Philosophically, you'd ideally want to attack your future needs before they become gaping roster holes. That's what happened here at tight end.

Secondly, I can see why Jones fell. I didn't think we were really in on him much, anyway. He's got short arms and has only ever played left tackle in his career, where he clearly doesn't project as a pro in most schemes. Lewis is one of the best guard prospects in the draft - gotta take good players that fit your scheme. Forcing Jones onto the team with less time to learn than usual probably would have had really crap results, whereas Lewis looks ready to (literally) give Fluker a run for his money.

I can see how that seems at odds with my first point about addressing needs early. Tackle is a future need, but specifically left tackle. I'm not sure that there were really any guys available past those first 4 guys that both:
A. fit the profile, and
B. didn't suck ass

I too hope for some talent at tackle soon, but man... it's getting rough to find it without having a high first.

Thirdly, I don't know if I see CB as a glaring need. Griffin, Dunbar, and Flowers as your top 3 is pretty solid. Ugo is a question-mark at slot, but I think they're gonna end up moving Dunbar inside if Ugo doesn't work out. That is, when they don't opt for base defense...

Finally, eh. Giving up probably a late sixth to get back into the seventh is fine. We're talking very miniscule value picks here. Spent it on a high upside developmental guy. Hard to get too angry over it for me, but I get the gripe.

morgulon1

Reaction score
getnasty":86rjt8cn said:
TE was puzzling to me. I get one of them but not two and they seem like such a repeat of a pick. Your keeping Olsen, Dissly and Hollister as your 3rd stringer is great. Like i said puzzling.

The second TE might be more of a WR , they lined him up everywhere in college

BigMeach

Reaction score
I'll never understand why people get so down on drafts before ever seeing the players in a uniform or how the UDFA and the rest of offseason/beginning of season plays out. Theres always a ton of movement in Seattle. There's always good things to look forward to here, we're very fortunate for that.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I get it, man, I used to be way into all the predraft staff and Tim Ruskell would knock it out of the park every April. However, every January these surefire mock draft superstars from big schools turned out were not good at the NFL level.

Then PC/JS showed up and I had no clue who these dudes they were drafting were.

6'3" corner that was a converted WR? Who the hell is that?
Some run-stuffing safety for Va Tech? Why?
A Utah State middle linebacker over a Pac-12 middle linebacker?
Who is this midget QB that was run out of NC State for a 6'5" stud QB?
Why are they bringing in all these UDFA guys? Must be camp fodder to keep TO and Kellen Winslow fresh

Trust in what they are doing, they are finding players who can play football at the NFL level. Sometimes that means the guys have to have qualities that don't show up on Saturdays. Sometimes the guys that got shit on at the NCAA level are the players that make the biggest jump in the NFL.

The draft is not some exact science, no matter what you read on PFF, Mel Kipper or ESPN. At the end of the day it is just a guess.

Largent80

Reaction score
The reason I started the Hawks need to draft an LB was what I saw as a GLARING need. No speed, crappy tackling. They appear to have fixed that with the first pick.

Clowney not signed, Jefferson gone, supposed crappy EDGE / DE draft and what do they do?...They get one of the best at the position, who got 81/2 sacks playing with a cracked fibula !!!!

They have 19 OL on the roster. the 2 guards are older, on one year deals, what did they do???...They get probably the best mauling guards in the nation.

Carson and Penny injured......What do they do????...there's a huge run on RB and they unearth a guy who fits the profile of what a Seahawk runner is.

They signed an OLD TE, They have their best TE coming off his second season ending injury in a row, they have 2 others who were castoffs from other programs and what did they do??...Get a 6'8" pass catching TE !!!!

They quite obviously did address a ton of holes. There's more work to do but they need to get a pat on the back for this draft.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Largent80":1duwmlt2 said:
The reason I started the Hawks need to draft an LB was what I saw as a GLARING need. No speed, crappy tackling. They appear to have fixed that with the first pick.

Clowney not signed, Jefferson gone, supposed crappy EDGE / DE draft and what do they do?...They get one of the best at the position, who got 81/2 sacks playing with a cracked fibula !!!!

They have 19 OL on the roster. the 2 guards are older, on one year deals, what did they do???...They get probably the best mauling guards in the nation.

Carson and Penny injured......What do they do????...there's a huge run on RB and they unearth a guy who fits the profile of what a Seahawk runner is.

They signed an OLD TE, They have their best TE coming off his second season ending injury in a row, they have 2 others who were castoffs from other programs and what did they do??...Get a 6'8" pass catching TE !!!!

They quite obviously did address a ton of holes. There's more work to do but they need to get a pat on the back for this draft.
Excellent points.

TreeRon

Reaction score
nwHawk":16eazd8c said:
I am probably in the minority, but I really like what Hawks drafted. I think this was one of their better hauls lately.
I don't have a problem either. Of course I didn't watch and evaluate every college football player in the nation as some here must have.

Latest posts