Cap Casualty speculation

rideaducati

Reaction score
kobebryant":1ibc64l7 said:
My issue with cutting Kearse is that it is like cutting Robert Horry.

Sure he is a marginal starter, and you can find better, but that clutch gene is hard to duplicate and I would hate to see him make one of his typical massive plays against the Hawks in a big moment.

He's pretty good on special teams too.

Horry wasn't a starter which is why teams didn't want to pay him and let him go.

The Seahawks wouldn't need clutch catches if Kearse played better earlier in the game. I don't think Kearse would scare anyone on the LOB. Which team would Kearse play on where he would be given such an opportunity to make a play against the Seahawks? I don't think he is good enough to be a starter on many other teams in the league.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
rideaducati":1h2qe8lq said:
Hawkfan77":1h2qe8lq said:
rideaducati":1h2qe8lq said:
Production/money vs replacement/money. I think his production can EASILY be replaced for one quarter of the cost.
Then why would they place a 2nd round tender on him in the first place? I guess that's my argument, if he was easily replaceable and not a productive member of the WR corps, why did they give him a 2nd round tender which was 2.5 million?

That tag was placed before the draft. Since then, the Seahawks drafted Lockett, who by all accounts is looking really good. Matthews looked good when he was given a chance too. It's not that I don't like Kearse, but when a cheaper replacement is found, you have to move on. We shouldn't fall in love with marginal players.
I'm not falling in love with "marginal" players, but I won't cast someone aside because I don't like their stat line. If you think Kearse's worth is based on stats alone, I'd have to disagree with your assessment of him. Lockett and Kearse don't play the same position, so I'm not sure why him being here would affect Jermaine at all.

Baldwin said something in an interview last year that I think is so telling and a major reason why Kearse was brought back. He talked about he and Kearse's chemistry level with Wilson. He said they've been together so long that they know exactly what to do and where to go when plays break down. He said they all three know each other's tells and it helps them tremendously. When plays break down and Russell runs around for what seems like forever and then chucks it up and it becomes a completion to either Baldwin or Kearse, that's not be accident. It's something that they have been a lot of time practicing. He also mentioned Richardson and said his skill set was there but he had no chemistry with Wilson so he had to brought along very slowly.

Chemistry between and QB and his WR is very important, IMO. It can't be replaced in an off season or one training, especially when it's been building up for years.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1zl1thrn said:
rideaducati":1zl1thrn said:
Hawkfan77":1zl1thrn said:
rideaducati":1zl1thrn said:
Production/money vs replacement/money. I think his production can EASILY be replaced for one quarter of the cost.
Then why would they place a 2nd round tender on him in the first place? I guess that's my argument, if he was easily replaceable and not a productive member of the WR corps, why did they give him a 2nd round tender which was 2.5 million?

That tag was placed before the draft. Since then, the Seahawks drafted Lockett, who by all accounts is looking really good. Matthews looked good when he was given a chance too. It's not that I don't like Kearse, but when a cheaper replacement is found, you have to move on. We shouldn't fall in love with marginal players.
I'm not falling in love with "marginal" players, but I won't cast someone aside because I don't like their stat line. If you think Kearse's worth is based on stats alone, I'd have to disagree with your assessment of him. Lockett and Kearse don't play the same position, so I'm not sure why him being here would affect Jermaine at all.

Baldwin said something in an interview last year that I think is so telling and a major reason why Kearse was brought back. He talked about he and Kearse's chemistry level with Wilson. He said they've been together so long that they know exactly what to do and where to go when plays break down. He said they all three know each other's tells and it helps them tremendously. When plays break down and Russell runs around for what seems like forever and then chucks it up and it becomes a completion to either Baldwin or Kearse, that's not be accident. It's something that they have been a lot of time practicing. He also mentioned Richardson and said his skill set was there but he had no chemistry with Wilson so he had to brought along very slowly.

Chemistry between and QB and his WR is very important, IMO. It can't be replaced in an off season or one training, especially when it's been building up for years.

That's all fine and dandy, but chemistry can be built with someone else too. I'm sure Russell has chemistry with Luke Willson too, but do you think for a minute that Russell wouldn't rather have Graham?

Look, this is a thread about cap casualty speculation. I gave my speculation base on production, price and replacement. To me, there is no other player on the team that by cutting could save more money with the least amount of drop off in production. This cut would just make sense.

OP
OP
SeaHawk80

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
Don't teams try to have some cap space left when the season starts to be able to sign people in case of injury and for the practice squad players? I thought I read that somewhere. So is his savings even enough to consider value in the roster spot? the person that replaces his isn't going to be that much cheaper so even if it is a veteran minimum it is only about 1.5 mil freed up, not sure that is enough. But, Yes, if a rookie out performs him, he is gone. He is pretty clutch though, makes huge plays at critical moments, I think Pete loves that. (Duh who doesn't) What I meant by that was Pete loves the play that is a dagger in the back of a defense, momentum or game changing plays, I believe he calls them, who else is making those for so little?

rideaducati

Reaction score
The Seahawks were over the cap with just their top 51 players prior to McDaniel being cut. Cutting him got the Seahawks under the cap by about 2.5 million. The two guys needed at the bottom of the roster will cost a minimum of $870,000. The Seahawks will need to have some money in reserve to replace injured players throughout the season and usually replacements are minimum salary guys, so the Seahawks will probably need around $4 million going in to the season. They are about Kearse's contract away from that $4 million mark.

I believe Kearse will be cut because the drop off from his replacement is less than the drop off in production that Mebane's replacement would bring, although cutting Mebane would save more money.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2015":18hwex4a said:
Fade":18hwex4a said:
Alvin Bailey > Okung

Watch the week 16 beat down of the AZ cardinals. 35-6 with a franchise record for total offense. Wilson was sacked 1 time.

*edit* Okung & Unger didn't play in that game.

Discounting injuries, which Bailey has not had a lot of, that is a crazy statement. Okung is a great run blocker, while Bailey is one of the worst run blockers on the team. Bailey also does not possess Okung's height or power, which makes it more difficult for him to recover in pass pro.

http://giant.gfycat.com/MildGeneralGosling.gif

Cherry picking 1 play huh.

Here is a gif of Alvin Bailey playing at his more natural position. LT.

Bailey has very quick feet, great balance, and long arms. While not being a penalty machine like Okung.
iwPLiTCZQYFvY.gif

Okung has cement galoshes for feet, and has to cheat the snap count. That is why he gets so many false starts.

chris98251

Reaction score
Unless Kearse stinks it up he stays, he has been Wilsons clutch go to guy, Okung stays unless we have a breakthrough player in camp. We have the most depth in the wings at D line and CB, something will shake out there, Kearse doesn't make that kind of money that would make a significant impact also. We could also see a LB get traded or cut if the younger guys step up. Mebane is a anchor inside, if he is 100 percent as advertised and that's a key point in my mind he stays also. If there is a question about his health we are unaware of then yes he could be released on a injury basis.

OP
OP
SeaHawk80

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
Well the choice was McDaniels. So I guess we go with who is next, Now that who is first has been answered.

3 million freed up

*edited to add savings

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks HAVE TO release one more player that doesn't have a minimum salary as a cost cutting move. If a player is on the week one roster, his contract is guaranteed for the season and the Seahawks don't have enough in the till to make it through the season with injury replacements. That is why I believe Kearse will be cut. It seems like a minimal move, but for the money he would make, the Seahawks could sign 5 minimum salary players as injury replacements.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
So, what we are saying is ... we are a few injuries away from being in trouble? How can we find money for Kam this year? Is it even possible, if we are at cap limit?
We just need to keep our fingers crossed and hope none of our big performers goes down ...

rideaducati

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2tl5e9oz said:
So, what we are saying is ... we are a few injuries away from being in trouble? How can we find money for Kam this year? Is it even possible, if we are at cap limit?
We just need to keep our fingers crossed and hope none of our big performers goes down ...

Kam has THREE YEARS left on his deal. He can quit football or play for the money he agreed to play for. The Seahawks should NOT do anything with Kam's contract, because if they do, they'll have EVERY player holding out for the same thing wanting to re-do their deal EVERY YEAR.

Exittium

Reaction score
rideaducati":2h3iz4lf said:
joeseahawks":2h3iz4lf said:

Kam has THREE YEARS left on his deal. He can quit football or play for the money he agreed to play for. The Seahawks should NOT do anything with Kam's contract, because if they do, they'll have EVERY player holding out for the same thing wanting to re-do their deal EVERY YEAR.

This right here. He's got no leverage. So he's sad he's not getting "paid", if he want's to get paid then he can wait until the end of his contract for something more. To me it makes Kam's speech "Just about trusting one another, playing for one another,” he said. “Just every snap, everything you do out there, always thinking about the man beside you, your brother on the field.” from last year before the AZ game seem all smoke and mirrors. Its "about the man besides you" until you want more money, "play for one another" until you want more money, "trusting one another" Yeah apparently he doesn't trust the team to take care of him when its HIS time and not with 3 years left on a contract.

drdiags

Reaction score
As far as potential cap relief cuts, here are the only 4 that could help. So now that McDaniel has been released unless the unthinkable happens, no cap casualties are going to happen unless a bunch of minimum wage vets get released for rookie/udfa replacements:

Russell Okung 5M
Jimmy Graham 5.1M
Brandon Mebane 5.5M
Jermaine Kearse 2.35M

Ryan and Sweezy offer ~1,5M cap relief but I would be shocked if they got the boot.

Exittium

Reaction score
drdiags":2vnrpz8j said:
As far as potential cap relief cuts, here are the only 4 that could help. So now that McDaniel has been released unless the unthinkable happens, no cap casualties are going to happen unless a bunch of minimum wage vets get released for rookie/udfa replacements:

Russell Okung 5M
Jimmy Graham 5.1M
Brandon Mebane 5.5M
Jermaine Kearse 2.35M

Ryan and Sweezy offer ~1,5M cap relief but I would be shocked if they got the boot.

I really think we won't see much more cap casualties. The only one from that list I see is Kearse, but we'll see.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Kearse is the only one that offers any significant savings. He played for around 500K last year so a significant bump if he is on the roster.

The team has around 10 mil of dead money this year from Harvin, Miller and Unger. That will all be gone next year which will help.

When looking at the roster, there are not many places to find cap savings, even TJ is on the hook for 1.5 mil and its all guaranteed for this season!

Marshawn and KJ provide significant savings with minimal dead money next year........

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Great analysis. They forget to mention that our kicker is also very well paid amongst kickers (and he is one of the best). We aren't using Franchise tags. And all of our contracts run for 4 years, most of the time after we have already have the players around for 3 years.
Basically, we are "keeping" guys for 7 years, which is really their best years in football.

drdiags":1td0sfw3 said:
While trying to figure this out, ran across this article. Looks like a good read so far:
http://overthecap.com/the-seahawks-superstar-roster-strategy/#more-10427

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
rideaducati":a3t70pk1 said:
joeseahawks":a3t70pk1 said:

This is something we can agree on. Kam will not and should not get any kind of new deal/restructure.

netskier

Reaction score
I agree, but I will not be surprised if they do it despite our agreement.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score