Cap Casualty speculation

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
So with all that speculation on Mebane being the overall favorite to be cut or restructured, I offer up a different and better IMO solution. How about trading or cutting OKung? I think it would be a better option then cutting a thin area already. He is consistently hurt, even though he is good when on the field I like our younger players getting in there and doing a serviceable job then the D-line trying to replace 'Bane. I also believe as trade bait a Left Tackle is infinitely more valuable then a D-lineman. So we trade OKung and get, what, 3rd round pick, maybe a 2nd if we get lucky, from say; Tennessee, Carolina (Please don't), San Diego, Denver, Indy, St. Louis. There are some Obvious downsides to some trade partners . Well, what do you think?
Here is a link to the Cap savings
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/

Edited because apparently I can't write in English

blkhwk

Reaction score
You do not trade your starting LT to replace them with a "serviceable" replacement. LT is one of the probably three toughest positions to fill. A new, restructured contract may be coming Okung's way, but I don't see anyone on this current roster that fills his position if he was sent packing.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Okung's trade value is a 5th round draft pick at best.

And right now we don't have a suitable replacement.

OP
OP
SeaHawk80

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
We don't have a replacement, and yet we do every year since we drafted him.
Games Played
2010 10
2011 12
2012 15
2013 8
2014 14

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5632/russell-okung

So, you don't go to the superb owl without him either, and yet we do, and you cant sign B Wags and Russ both, yet we did, and you can't keep all your best core player, yet we have. Traditional NFL thinking did not get this franchise to the point it is. So, how about mentioning some creative solutions.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
SeaHawk80":1xpvj82g said:
We don't have a replacement, and yet we do every year since we drafted him.
Games Played
2010 10
2011 12
2012 15
2013 8
2014 14

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5632/russell-okung

So, you don't go to the superb owl without him either, and yet we do, and you cant sign B Wags and Russ both, yet we did, and you can't keep all your best core player, yet we have. Traditional NFL thinking did not get this franchise to the point it is. So, how about mentioning some creative solutions.

There is nothing to indicate this will happen. Depth at OT is thin right now. Gilliam is still refining his technique and getting stronger. The one rookie they brought in to play OT, Jesse Davis, has been terrible so far in camp.

Okung has never missed games in the playoffs, which are the must-win games. The offensive line has enough holes, I don't think we can afford to give up our best offensive lineman, and only capable LT, just to save a little money.

OP
OP
SeaHawk80

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
He is in the big games. I think we were all shocked we traded Unger, maybe 2 really good lineman is too many to loose in a year. I don't see us resigning him. I guess I am hoping we get some value out of him. If we only get a 5th, then that is less then his Comp pick would most likely be. There would definitely be some growing pains without him. I think Bailey would do fine.

OP
OP
SeaHawk80

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
Correction Loosing 3 starting O lineman in a year might be too much. Forgot that Carp left.

Fade

Reaction score
Alvin Bailey > Okung

Watch the week 16 beat down of the AZ cardinals. 35-6 with a franchise record for total offense. Wilson was sacked 1 time.

*edit* Okung & Unger didn't play in that game.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Fade":35pfx0p1 said:
Alvin Bailey > Okung

Watch the week 16 beat down of the AZ cardinals. 35-6 with a franchise record for total offense. Wilson was sacked 1 time.

*edit* Okung & Unger didn't play in that game.

Discounting injuries, which Bailey has not had a lot of, that is a crazy statement. Okung is a great run blocker, while Bailey is one of the worst run blockers on the team. Bailey also does not possess Okung's height or power, which makes it more difficult for him to recover in pass pro.

MildGeneralGosling.gif

Cartire

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":i2yg4w3x said:
Okung's trade value is a 5th round draft pick at best.

And right now we don't have a suitable replacement.

Nah. Hes still a good LT, and any good LT is gonna get at least a 3rd from someone, if not higher. Its just to important of a position with not enough players to fill it. Okung would easily get a 3rd.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Kearse is the next to go. Cutting him leaves zero dead money and gets $2,356,000 back to the cap.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Okung’s cap savings (if cut or traded) is “only” 5 mil, on his now 7.28 mil contract so, even if he feels he’s a top 5 LT that’s only about a 3 mil pay increase.
Whether he IS a top 5 LT is another debate but his cost vs. his savings is minable at this time.

We could restructure Mebane and push a couple mil out to next year for a little savings.

Just a thought, given the unknown potential of other young receivers, the addition of Graham and the thought he will see some (or perhaps a lot) of WR position time…
Kearse’s 2.356 mil cap hit without any dead money becomes a viable option as well.

Also remember Harvin’s 7.2 mil dead money comes off the books after this year.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
rideaducati":8wp1fmy4 said:
Kearse is the next to go. Cutting him leaves zero dead money and gets $2,356,000 back to the cap.
Kearse isn't going anywhere until 2016

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3nsu0dne said:
rideaducati":3nsu0dne said:

We shall see. I bet he is gone before the season starts.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
rideaducati":2t0oxq25 said:
Hawkfan77":2t0oxq25 said:
rideaducati":2t0oxq25 said:

Why?

blkhwk

Reaction score
Depending on how the WR situation plays out, I could see Kearse getting cut. If Lockett, Matthews and maybe Norwood continue to develop, Kearse would probably lose out due to $$$$ if nothing else. I would guess if he doesn't come out of camp as a #1 he will be cut.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2g4kaoal said:
rideaducati":2g4kaoal said:
Hawkfan77":2g4kaoal said:
rideaducati":2g4kaoal said:

Why?

Production/money vs replacement/money. I think his production can EASILY be replaced for one quarter of the cost. John Schneider's job is to replace every player with a better player that costs less than the player being replaced.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
rideaducati":2dmwtqwe said:
Production/money vs replacement/money. I think his production can EASILY be replaced for one quarter of the cost.
Then why would they place a 2nd round tender on him in the first place? I guess that's my argument, if he was easily replaceable and not a productive member of the WR corps, why did they give him a 2nd round tender which was 2.5 million?

kobebryant

Reaction score
My issue with cutting Kearse is that it is like cutting Robert Horry.

Sure he is a marginal starter, and you can find better, but that clutch gene is hard to duplicate and I would hate to see him make one of his typical massive plays against the Hawks in a big moment.

He's pretty good on special teams too.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2jdivqkv said:
rideaducati":2jdivqkv said:
Production/money vs replacement/money. I think his production can EASILY be replaced for one quarter of the cost.
Then why would they place a 2nd round tender on him in the first place? I guess that's my argument, if he was easily replaceable and not a productive member of the WR corps, why did they give him a 2nd round tender which was 2.5 million?

That tag was placed before the draft. Since then, the Seahawks drafted Lockett, who by all accounts is looking really good. Matthews looked good when he was given a chance too. It's not that I don't like Kearse, but when a cheaper replacement is found, you have to move on. We shouldn't fall in love with marginal players.

Latest posts