Can we talk Bevell?

Reaction score
Yeah, um, wasn't blaming the qb's. I'd be curious to see (in preseason next year if bevell is still the oc...) If the other qb's end up holding the ball forever too...

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Ah, yeah. I remember Hass speaking in an interview about the differences between PC and Holmgren and one of the things he mentioned was how Holmgren stressed throwing the ball away and not taking a sack and PC (and then OC Jeremy Bates) emphasized allowing plays to develop longer. The principle was along the lines of a sack here and there being worth it to get the occasional big play. It would seem that this is still our philosophy.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'd love to see what Bates would do with this offense. I think we'd be challenging Denver in the points scored per game stat. Just a guess, though. I'm not saying our offense is as good as Denver's is right now, but if our offense was always on the field for good periods of time, our defense would have less pressure on them and stay fresher, and they're already awesome. They'd give us more chances to score than Denver's defense gives them.

CEHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":yeybrcyw said:
I'd love to see what Bates would do with this offense. I think we'd be challenging Denver in the points scored per game stat. Just a guess, though. I'm not saying our offense is as good as Denver's is right now, but if our offense was always on the field for good periods of time, our defense would have less pressure on them and stay fresher, and they're already awesome. They'd give us more chances to score than Denver's defense gives them.
I agree, I've had a problem with Bevell all along and pointing the finger at a lack of offensive talent or Wilson's height is just completely inaccurate. And Wilson does not get better on the run, his performance is comparable if not better IN the pocket.

We need more play action and more screen passes! IMO when Bevell does well it's typically right after PC just finished chewing him out!!

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Never been thrilled with Bevell. Probably one of the best gifts he's given to team however, has been that the team has to pull itself out of a jam in the 2nd half/4th q/overtime. It's made our players, if not their stat lines, stronger through his ineptitude. Also, Bevell was the OC that unleashed Harvin on the NFL, I think he's really really missing PH and when he returns defenses will shake with fear.

I do think he's gone next year though. I believe somebody will give him a HC job even if they have to wait until after the SB (Tampa wouldn't surprise me).

I was hoping somebody would last year, but another good thing is RW hasn't had to switch OCs so early in his career.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3h0djbct said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":3h0djbct said:
I don't think any level of guru-ness can make up for a non-existent pocket.

Yet, Bevell does this in the second half of almost every game. He dials up much more effective plays and we drive down the field better. So......

In theory, I do believe you, but we will never know as that conversation could never happen.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2npiezrd said:
TDOTSEAHAWK":2npiezrd said:
I don't think any level of guru-ness can make up for a non-existent pocket.

Yet, Bevell does this in the second half of almost every game. He dials up much more effective plays and we drive down the field better. So......

I think that is a function of us pounding down the defense and developing our playbook.

Two things that are necessary because a lack of talent.

If Russell could take 7 step drops from the beginning of the game and distribute to studs like Manning, we'd be fine. Against the ferocious front 7s we have faced - that is just not possible. We need a tired defense who overreacts to get big plays.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":3uwg0ynb said:
In the third quarter after what I believe was our first quick roll-out and easy dish to Zack Miller, I thought he finally got something going. I can't recall the next two plays but I do remember griping about that easy play not being called up again.

Sometimes it does seem he's not playing to our strength in consideration of the opponent at hand.

This!! There is the one thing (among many) that I wish Bevell would borrow from Holmgren. Once Mike found a play that worked, he would exploit it repeatedly until the opponent showed him they could stop it. Russell commented that he told Bevell "give me a chance" at half time, so the adjustment was all RW. I'm thinking this happens more often than not. It's almost as if Pete is fearful of having a brilliant offensive coordinator that would upstage him and change the image of his team. This offense could be so much more.

Yeah, I know that sounds ridiculous, but I really think we can do better OC-wise.

justafan

Reaction score
It still comes down to execution and controlling the line of scrimmage.Houston dominated at the line.Their D has a homefield advantage thats just as real as ours.not as loud but its real.
If the Oline didnt get beat so badly the plays that were called would have worked better
On the other side Kubiak didnt call an inspired game and trick the D, they manhandled us at the line and executed in the first half.
As far as the scoring difference between halves, I think thats what physical teams do.They pound and pound untill things start opening up and they break the other team down.I have no problem seeing them run it alot in the beginning even if it looks like its going nowhere it will pay off later.
If they pass people will bitch about not pounding the rock,if they run people will bitch about running the same play "everytime"
Either way the players make the coaches look dumber or smarter than they really are.

getnasty

Reaction score
I think a lot of this has to be on the WR's and Russell too. Even when he has time it seems he can't find anyone open. Bevell needs to do a better job dialing up plays that help with that as well. It seems like we either throw a hail marry or a boot leg to the TE, oh and the bubble screen which I like but RW can't seem throw a accurate pass when it's called.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Bevell has games that is just genius, and then there are games that the play calling is just strange. Somebody gets a stubborn at times with the calls and keeping things the same. It appeared rather vanilla in the beginning of the game and the lack of designed roll outs was something I hoped would have been executed earlier on. Christine Michael getting a couple touches would be nice to see, but understood with playing from behind the entire game yesterday.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HawkMeat":k00wdfpa said:
Bevell has games that is just genius, and then there are games that the play calling is just strange. Somebody gets a stubborn at times with the calls and keeping things the same. It appeared rather vanilla in the beginning of the game and the lack of designed roll outs was something I hoped would have been executed earlier on. Christine Michael getting a couple touches would be nice to see, but understood with playing from behind the entire game yesterday.

I think considering the line problems, the play book was napkin size yesterday.

There has been a lot said here, it will take the all-22 to know exactly why little passing developed. One thing I can answer for you, the lack of bootlegs and designed rollouts is because the Texans bring both outside backers wide most plays. Which is not good for a bootlegging QB's health.

Right now, considering the heat the Texans brought most plays, I am anticipating the coaches view showing both Seahawks not beating single coverage, and routes not developing as quickly as an under seige QB needed. I am also going to track the lack of success from 2 back sets, and the lack of targeting areas vacated by blitzing players.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
It's weird how the WR's can't seem to get open in the first half, but don't have the same problem in the second half. Also strange how it wasn't til towards the end of regulation when we threw a screen to Marshawn

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":19m25msh said:
HawkMeat":19m25msh said:

There has been a lot said here, it will take the all-22 to know exactly why little passing developed. One thing I can answer for you, the lack of bootlegs and designed rollouts is because the Texans bring both outside backers wide most plays. Which is not good for a bootlegging QB's health.

Right now, considering the heat the Texans brought most plays, I am anticipating the coaches view showing both Seahawks not beating single coverage, and routes not developing as quickly as an under seige QB needed. I am also going to track the lack of success from 2 back sets, and the lack of targeting areas vacated by blitzing players.

And, as always, you'll follow any all-22 analysis with an argument for Lane Kiffin as OC?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":38zms98r said:
Scottemojo":38zms98r said:
HawkMeat":38zms98r said:

And, as always, you'll follow any all-22 analysis with an argument for Lane Kiffin as OC?

There are government subsidies for hiring "challenged" folk, right? And it's good PR, giving the trike rider a job.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm not worried about the WR's. Yeah, they should win a handful more 1-on-1 matchups, but, Wilson doesn't throw it unless wide-open. Pete's beat that in his head.

It's Bevell's job to get them open. And, that's my gripe.

I know I'll get flamed, but I agree with iRo. I always kind of like Bates. At least his passing game design.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Only a matter of time before the Bevell thread showed up. Thing is this year we are winning and it showed up. Crazy.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
pehawk":1rxy83q2 said:
I'm not worried about the WR's. Yeah, they should win a handful more 1-on-1 matchups, but, Wilson doesn't throw it unless wide-open. Pete's beat that in his head.

It's Bevell's job to get them open. And, that's my gripe.

I know I'll get flamed, but I agree with iRo. I always kind of like Bates. At least his passing game design.

Don't know if you were responding to me but I was being sarcastic

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":a154yhyp said:
Only a matter of time before the Bevell thread showed up. Thing is this year we are winning and it showed up. Crazy.

Easy, TrollMaster Thomas. Why don't you read the thread and contribute to it, via understanding, instead of your usual "safe" approach? I guess I could be more like you, keep track of any opinions said, paste a link to my hard drive, wait for it to prove incorrect, then make a thread titled "Told ya so...."?

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with my opinion. What I do have a problem with is dismissing it as if it has little merit or thought. Pay attention, son, I kind of know football.