Can someone who was at the game...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I turned the heater off in the house for the game to feel like I was there. Had to put on socks. It was rough.

But seriously, anybody who thought we would have our normal crisp passing attack was delusional.

PennywiseVikesFan

Reaction score
It was brutal. Hand warmers didn't get warm at all unless you went somewhere where it was warmer. I lost feeling in my toes so I hit the bathroom long enough to get the warmers warm then put those in my boots. My beers were frozen and I had to peel the can back so I could get at the slush. It was all gonna be worth it though........

Good game Hawks!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Never had a drink today, so my observations are...unimpaired.

First, look at one fact. There was one fieldgoal, a short one, and one missed, also short, going into the wind. No, it wasn't a real strong wind. Didn't matter. It killed offense.

The other end? 3 FGs and a TD.

As for me, I had ice on my eyelashes. My sweat froze inside my waterproof shell, I had a layer of frost INSIDE my clothes. I stayed warm with a back warmer, toe warmers, and hand warmers in my pockets and mittens, 5 layers of thermals on top and Thermals, jeans, and snowboard pants and really good boots. Still, the cold got to my legs, too much standing around, and my legs started to cramp up.

That weather is fit for neither man nor beast.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
Image pic 700
whidbeast":181vcxqq said:
Please talk about how painful it was just to be outside today?

I think some people are bummed our offense didn't perform better in conditions so brutal your grapes retract into your chest cavity. You could offer some reassurance.

Was there bundeld up not cold at all as the sun was on us for the whole game had hand warmers in my boots and cloves very comfortable three layers under my jacket two layers of thermal pants plus ski pants on top of that vary warm artic boots two pair of whole shocks .

Had the towel the wrong way sorry

Attachments

• image pic 700.jpg
    image pic 700.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 1,214

BigMeach

Reaction score
irocdave":375l6dc0 said:
Guess we have a lot of people that have never experienced temperatures like what this game was played in today and need some reference to prove some point about the temps not mattering. LAME. Listening to people that have actually been in them and or the players take mean nothing.

If you want to know what it feels like go sit in a minus 10 freezer for 4 hours. If your really interested I'm sure one of the fish processing plants on the water front will let you do it. But you wont, just like you wouldn't spend much time outside if the temps get down to that in Seattle again.

I worked in these temps in the early 90's in Seattle, maybe 92 or 93 then again in the winter of 95. Betting most of these new hawk "fans" have never experienced these temps, and are looking for some one to justify their opinion of what did or didn't happen because of the weather.

How can someone help it if they weren't born till the 90's? How can my son or daughter help that?

How else would one find out what it is like to be in this weather if they have never had the chance to be? They're going to ask and take opinion from those who have. I'm hoping the freezer thing is complete sarcasm. Wouldn't be the same anyway as the slightest wind in temperatures like that make it a hundred times worse. There's no wind in a freezer, well maybe a fish freezer... Could you tell us more about fish freezers?

rjdriver

Reaction score
To all those who went. I salute you. This community has some of the best 12's in the world, and I am proud of you guys and gals that represented in very challenging conditions. Love you bastards.

I am going to do my best to make the Carolina game, it's looking good, I just hope I can catch a "Blair break" and stumble on a ticket for a decent price between now and Sunday.

Shout_out

Reaction score
THE COLD: We were in the shaded side on the 30 yard (the side of the missed kick). It was brutally cold. If I took my gloves off, my hands were screaming for warmth within 30 seconds. There was frost on beards. Those hand warmers wouldn’t heat up in the cold. Beers would freeze. That game was ugly mostly because of the weather. It seemed the players were running at half speed and couldn’t make quick movements. I don’t think we will be seeing these same issues next week.

THE FANS: My buddy who goes to a lot of games says these are the best fans he has seen. And I agree, the fans around us were polite and cool. Yes, there was a fair amount of ribbing going into the stadium, and a few angry a-holes after the game but overall a great experience. The people here are football savvy and awesome. Though, it does tend to help when you buy your seat neighbors a beer.

THE NOISE: It was pretty loud for such weather. Nothing like Centurylink obviously, but certain third downs it might have been loud enough to effect the offense. The excited of the Vikings fans was pretty electric by the end of the game. I did enjoy the Vikings song and the Viking horn blasts for first downs.

THE MISSED KICK: I, like many, thought it went in based on our viewing angle. My buddy was jumping up and down yelling ‘he missed it! He missed it!’ and I didn’t believe him until I saw the refs signal it. The Vikings fans reaction was a general stunned disbelief. I actually felt bad for them and most Hawk fans didn’t do much gloating after the win.

endzorn

Reaction score
The cold didn't bother fans much. I didn't hear a single person complain other than everyone's beers were frozen and all the condiments at the condiment counter were frozen solid. The relish came out in a block with a spoon frozen inside.

I thought the Viking fans were great. We were treated better than anywhere I've ever gone.

You could definitely tell the cold had a huge effect on the flight of the ball. Kick, punts and deep passes started with a burst of momentum and then just died and fell out of the air like someone shot the ball mid-arc. Wilson had two deep balls that initially looked like easy TDs and then just dropped from the sky and fell way short.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
How many Vikings fans tears froze up on their face immediately after the game?

253hawk

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":18pw2mb0 said:
My friend posted a picture of her beer that froze up right after she opened it. How do you handle such conditions?!

Plastic flasks inside your mittens (to get them through security).

IowaSeahawk

Reaction score
Myself and three of my buddies were in 135....in the shade where Baldwin caught the TD.

Memorable to say the least. The cold really wasn't too bad if you were prepared. Luckily, I preheated my hand warmers in the car before getting outside (which seems better than trying to start them in the cold)--had one in each glove...each jeans pocket and my hoodie pocket and I was completely fine the entire game. Wish I could say the same about those damn foot warmers---they didn't work at all. I thought about taking a boot off and putting a hand warmer that was hot already there, but like someone said...the moment you took a glove off...you wanted it back on pronto! So, my feet, mainly my toes were no match for the temps and I was glad to get back indoors after the game (thank goodness no OT this game) Definitely saw the same sights with the frozen beards and beers. The main downside was that it was too damn cold (and my gloves were too bulky) that I barely snapped any pics. Oh well. Have the memories in my head.

As far as the fans go...lots of profanities towards the Seahawks going into the game and during the game...but overall fans were alright. They were die hards like the rest of us. My section had a few plastered fans---one threw up on someone in front of my buddy. Had a girl behind us that was obliterated..and then as the FG was missed at the end; some cop was taking down a drunk Minny fan, who had blood gushing out of his nose. All added up, lots of memories and the ending made it all worth while sitting through the cold!

Have fun for those heading to Carolina!

GO HAWKS!

rideaducati

Reaction score
BigMeach":35awn05o said:
irocdave":35awn05o said:
Guess we have a lot of people that have never experienced temperatures like what this game was played in today and need some reference to prove some point about the temps not mattering. LAME. Listening to people that have actually been in them and or the players take mean nothing.

If you want to know what it feels like go sit in a minus 10 freezer for 4 hours. If your really interested I'm sure one of the fish processing plants on the water front will let you do it. But you wont, just like you wouldn't spend much time outside if the temps get down to that in Seattle again.

I worked in these temps in the early 90's in Seattle, maybe 92 or 93 then again in the winter of 95. Betting most of these new hawk "fans" have never experienced these temps, and are looking for some one to justify their opinion of what did or didn't happen because of the weather.

OmgurawkbrohowyouhandlealldattempIcantbelieveitwowandyoumustbesooldtobealivein92.

Really this post has no helpful information in it and just looks like you want to let everyone know you're great (though noone else is going to read this and think that) as well as dog on new fans? How can someone help it if they weren't born till the 90's? How can my son or daughter help that?

How else would one find out what it is like to be in this weather if they have never had the chance to be? They're going to ask and take opinion from those who have. I'm hoping the freezer thing is complete sarcasm. Wouldn't be the same anyway as the slightest wind in temperatures like that make it a hundred times worse. There's no wind in a freezer, well maybe a fish freezer... Could you tell us more about fish freezers?

Only tough guys with mullets drive IROC's so we should assume he is tough and all business up front and party animal out back.

ivotuk

Reaction score
sc85sis":2nad3fqn said:
I have a scar on my thumb. I got it brushing snow off a satellite dish late at night when it was sleeting, about -5 out and the wind chill was about 40 below (I was in small market radio and had to clean the dish so the news feed would come in instead of the sound of fuzz). The edge of the old-school dish sliced me. I never felt it until about ten minutes after I went back inside. I took off my gloves and wondered why I had blood on my hand. I was lucky the cut wasn't deeper.

There is a reason I moved from MI to CA. Temps that cold aren't meant to be lived in let alone be outside playing football.

You hush girl! I lived in Umiat, Alaska for almost 20 years, -60 was not uncommon this time of year. I still live just outside of Fairbanks in North Pole, but thankfully Global Warming is doing it's thing here and we've been hovering around 15F all weekend. :D

The biggest problem with cold is the bulky clothing, and sitting still in a seat for 3 hours. I don't know how those fans do it. Even if you can keep gloveless hands warm, your skin still reacts to the cold by closing off capillaries and making fingers less functional/able to grip.

I went back and looked at the 2 colder games and the Dallas/Green Bay game was 17/21, and the San Diego/Cincinnati game was 7/27. San Diego did not do well in that cold.

So not surprised that it was a 10/9 game. Thank you Kam Chancellor for that TD producing forced fumble!

Hawks46

Reaction score
ivotuk":qsxx2bjk said:
sc85sis":qsxx2bjk said:
I have a scar on my thumb. I got it brushing snow off a satellite dish late at night when it was sleeting, about -5 out and the wind chill was about 40 below (I was in small market radio and had to clean the dish so the news feed would come in instead of the sound of fuzz). The edge of the old-school dish sliced me. I never felt it until about ten minutes after I went back inside. I took off my gloves and wondered why I had blood on my hand. I was lucky the cut wasn't deeper.

There is a reason I moved from MI to CA. Temps that cold aren't meant to be lived in let alone be outside playing football.

You hush girl! I lived in Umiat, Alaska for almost 20 years, -60 was not uncommon this time of year. I still live just outside of Fairbanks in North Pole, but thankfully Global Warming is doing it's thing here and we've been hovering around 15F all weekend. :D

The biggest problem with cold is the bulky clothing, and sitting still in a seat for 3 hours. I don't know how those fans do it. Even if you can keep gloveless hands warm, your skin still reacts to the cold by closing off capillaries and making fingers less functional/able to grip.

I went back and looked at the 2 colder games and the Dallas/Green Bay game was 17/21, and the San Diego/Cincinnati game was 7/27. San Diego did not do well in that cold.

So not surprised that it was a 10/9 game. Thank you Kam Chancellor for that TD producing forced fumble!

I've been to North Pole as a kid. I remember it being incredible. Do you answer mail for Santa ? I read that a lot of town folk do that for the kids.

sc85sis

Reaction score
You couldn't pay me to live in Alaska. I still have nightmares when I hear the words "northwest winds" or "lake effect snow." Ugh.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
ivotuk":2s1een2o said:
sc85sis":2s1een2o said:

I've slept outside for a week at delta junction during winter

TXHawk

Reaction score
This is me on the summit of Mt McKinley in Alaska (20,320'). We didn't have a thermometer but I'm guessing it was about 30 below here. Fortunately there wasn't much wind that day. We spent 23 days on the mountain and I'm not sure if it ever got above zero. You need serious expedition gear to survive in those temperatures.

Water freezes up in no time so anything you want to stay liquid has to stay next to your body in your parka or sleeping bag. Everything you do is effected by the cold. Even getting up to piss in the middle of the night is a major endeavor.

So, yeah, playing football in subzero weather would be a bitch, especially for the quarterback.

Image 1

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
irocdave":2pb6lu4z said:

Bitter frozen beer face?

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
TXHawk":18dt2qgh said:
This is me on the summit of Mt McKinley in Alaska (20,320'). We didn't have a thermometer but I'm guessing it was about 30 below here. Fortunately there wasn't much wind that day. We spent 23 days on the mountain and I'm not sure if it ever got above zero. You need serious expedition gear to survive in those temperatures.

Water freezes up in no time so anything you want to stay liquid has to stay next to your body in your parka or sleeping bag. Everything you do is effected by the cold. Even getting up to piss in the middle of the night is a major endeavor.

So, yeah, playing football in subzero weather would be a bitch, especially for the quarterback.

Image 1
Man you have had a rough life since your avatar pic.

Seriously throw nice view behind you.

Rainmaker

Reaction score
I was in section 209 behind the Vikings bench so we were in the sun and it was still ungodly cold. I had 4 layers on with hand warmers taped all over my body and it was just warm enough. I didn't eat or drink anything because there was no possible way to pee with all the layers on.

Minnesota had a significant advantage by having their bench in the sun. Our guys were in the shade all day and you could tell they weren't prepared for that type of sustained cold.

The Minnesota fans were fantastic. They stadium was packed and no one in our section (or anywhere I could see) sat down the entire game. Not as loud as the C-Link due to reduced capacity and no roof, but they brought it. That city is one of the few places in the league where you can wear your gear without constantly being hassled. Lots of respect from Minny fans and heard more than once that the Hawks were their second favorite team to cheer for. On the tram to the game both Hawks and Vikes fans united in a "Packers suck!" chant.

I got the feeling that the weather had a massive effect on our level of play and that you just flush this one and move on to the Panthers. After all, we just beat a team that won their division, 11 games, and was hosting you for the second time in five weeks...in an ice box.