Byron Maxwell named starting CB

scutterhawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":f4wnaun4 said:
Browner was great for us, but that train has left the station. Maxwell has the physicality down, have you seen him mugging the WR's out there?!
You can seriously mention the word Physicality, Maxwell, and Browner in the same sentence.
I'll give Maxwell credit for being a damned good baller, but all you have to do is re-watch that game against the Cards a couple Years back, and THAT's, the true definition of Physicality.
Browner was/is one of the original LEGION OF BOOM, and his attack on the ball made people leery, and uncomfortable about going up for a catch in his area/arena.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":22dvv4zy said:
OkieHawk":22dvv4zy said:
Browner was great for us, but that train has left the station. Maxwell has the physicality down, have you seen him mugging the WR's out there?!
You can seriously mention the word Physicality, Maxwell, and Browner in the same sentence.
I'll give Maxwell credit for being a damned good baller, but all you have to do is re-watch that game against the Cards a couple Years back, and THAT's, the true definition of Physicality.
Browner was/is one of the original LEGION OF BOOM, and his attack on the ball made people leery, and uncomfortable about going up for a catch in his area/arena.

I guess you haven't really watched Maxwell, your loss.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Last two seasons BB has put himself before the team. I'll take Maxwell for the future over BB and his shenanigans.

BASF

Reaction score
Pstark3":2e38pgwc said:
Chukarhawk":2e38pgwc said:
I like Thurmond over Maxwell and browner over both of them.
This.
Not a fan of Maxwell, especially after giving up that jump ball for a TD, you know that wouldn't happen with Browner

Browner played a very similar play against the Bengals a few years ago that also resulted in a touchdown. Browner didn't play that ball nearly as well as Maxwell played the one against the Cardinals.

I am very happy for Maxwell who has worked his butt off to make himself starter caliber.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Beyond the physicality, Maxwell plays CB very well technically. The Arizona TD was a tough one to defend, but Maxwell was right where he needed to be. It's 50/50 that Browner would even have been in position to make the play like Maxwell was.

I swear, it's like PC and JS have a crystal ball or something, drafting so much depth at CB as if they knew about Browner and Thurmond's struggles.

Thurmond may have been out-competed by Jeremy Lane at this point also. But we could always try him at KR/PR again. I'd rather have him there than Baldwin (too important on offense).

Pstark3

Reaction score
Ok i guess maybe im just a fanboy of having oversized corners..

But honestly what makes me mad is the fact that Jeremy Lane isnt getting any love right now, or at least more playing time at corner. I know he's been lights out on covering punts but damn.

Hawks46

Reaction score
OkieHawk":29qlr4x6 said:
scutterhawk":29qlr4x6 said:
OkieHawk":29qlr4x6 said:

I guess you haven't really watched Maxwell, your loss.

When Maxwell annihlates screens and completely shuts down the run to his side like Browner did, then we'll talk about him being on the same level of physicality. When WRs drop easy balls because Maxwell is heading for them, then he'll be there.

I'm not saying he won't; I'm astonished by his progression and I think he has a much higher ceiling than I ever thought he wouuld. He WILL get better with more playing time.

In a strange, ironic twist the most physical CB I've seen at the LOS after Browner was actually....tiny Antione Winfield.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ar88ttf said:
Beyond the physicality, Maxwell plays CB very well technically. The Arizona TD was a tough one to defend, but Maxwell was right where he needed to be. It's 50/50 that Browner would even have been in position to make the play like Maxwell was.

I swear, it's like PC and JS have a crystal ball or something, drafting so much depth at CB as if they knew about Browner and Thurmond's struggles.

Thurmond may have been out-competed by Jeremy Lane at this point also. But we could always try him at KR/PR again. I'd rather have him there than Baldwin (too important on offense).

Exactly, people are so certain Browner could have defended the play but are leaving out the probability that he would be in position to in the first place.

Michael Floyd is 6'3, 225 pounds with 4.4 speed.

sutz

Reaction score
Not surprised here. Maxwell has done well and Thurm is bound to be a bit rusty his first game back. Nice to have the depth to foster conversations like this, though. :)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3c2bgiuq said:
MontanaHawk05":3c2bgiuq said:

Exactly, people are so certain Browner could have defended the play but are leaving out the probability that he would be in position to in the first place.

Michael Floyd is 6'3, 225 pounds with 4.4 speed.

I would like to add, do you know who the only Seahawks CB to run close to a 4.4 at either the Combine or the player's Pro Day?

You're correct if you guessed Byron Maxwell, who ran a 4.43 Forty yard dash in 2011 at 6'0, 202.

Lane ran a 4.48 in 2012 at 6'0, 190.

Sherman ran a 4.53 in 2011 at 6'3, 195.

Thurmond didn't run.

Old man Browner posted a 4.63 at 6'4, 221 in 2005 or 2006.

Even ultra athletic Will Blackmon posted only a 4.47 at 6-0, 198 back whenever he was drafted.

Tharold Simon who is 6'2, 202 ran a 4.47 also.

The funniest thing also Maxwell posted the most bench reps than any of the other CBs at the the time they were drafted.

Sherman had 16. Thurmond had 14. Browner had 13. Lane had 12. Simon had 9.

Maxwell had almost as much as Sherman and Simon combined with 24 reps.

What is also amazing looking at my prior research is Richard Sherman is as fast or faster than all the other CBs in the 10 yard dash and 20 yard dash splits including Trufant, Blackmon, and Winfield ( save for Winfield's 10 yard dash which is only .03 faster than Sherman's 1.56, to put that in perspective Winfield was 5'9 and 176 pounds at the time)

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I've seen Browner get burned and although I like him, I've moved on with Maxwell who's played fantastic.

Why can't we like both of them?

olyfan63

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":14sxo24e said:
Moving Browner to safety seems like a good idea....until you mention the fact that he would be a backup to a couple of top 5 safeties and never crack the starting lineup again. Where is the value in that?

Two words: Etric Pruitt.
Two more words: Steelers win.

The Willie Parker 76 yard TD and the trick play TD were both the responsibility of the "man off the street" safety they had to plug in after 2nd stringer (but 1st team level of play) Marquand Manuel went down with a hamstring injury in the 2nd quarter.

Having depth at safety is a big deal. 2 TD's worth in a Super Bowl. Just ask Mike Holmgren.

I say bring back BB at safety or wherever. He'll be cheap. And the value will be unbeatable.

olyfan63

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":6s91a3kw said:
Last two seasons BB has put himself before the team. I'll take Maxwell for the future over BB and his shenanigans.

Great point about BB and Maxwell. I think Maxwell is just flat overall better than BB at this point. And he hasn't put himself in *stupid* situations like BB.

I still want Browner back for a couple more seasons, as a cheap backup to Maxwell, and also as a backup to Kam. Dude's a baller. Love the plays he's made on the field. I felt like his pick-6 against the Giants 2 years ago was really the start of the current run and overall team attitude. Road game, Giants driving for winning score, SOS, (Same Old Seahags, sigh...) then Browner comes up with that, and it was like a different team attitude from there forward. (or maybe just this fan ;-) ) And oh yeah, those Giants won the Super Bowl that year.
Also loved Browner's play against Carolina last year. And his obliteration of Welker that helped us beat the Patriots. He's historically won us a couple games a season with his key plays. When he's not on the field due to suspensions... not so much.

BASF

Reaction score
olyfan63":70tud35c said:
The Willie Parker 76 yard TD and the trick play TD were both the responsibility of the "man off the street" safety they had to plug in after 2nd stringer (but 1st team level of play) Marquand Manuel went down with a hamstring injury in the 2nd quarter.

I see this way too much. Parker's run was to Michael Boulware's side. Boulware took the wrong angle to the wrong hole and Pruitt was on the other side of the field. I am not hunting down that picture again to prove it, but I have posted it on this forum before. Also, on the the deep crossing route, it was from Pruitt's side, but we were playing zone. Boulware should have been deep to cover his part of the field, but had bit up on the run to Randle-El who then threw the TD to the cheap shot artist.

I loved Michael Boulware. He was my favorite player while he was with FSU and was automatically my favorite Seahawk as soon as we drafted him. I loved how he played nickle LB his first season and was excited about his transition to safety. He is one of the few former players who went to other teams whose name plate I did not remove from the jersey. However, there is a reason that his confidence was gone after the Super Bowl, he knows that the two biggest plays of that game were his responsibility.

olyfan63

Reaction score
BASF":23t4tet2 said:
olyfan63":23t4tet2 said:

I see this way too much. Parker's run was to Michael Boulware's side. Boulware took the wrong angle to the wrong hole and Pruitt was on the other side of the field. I am not hunting down that picture again to prove it, but I have posted it on this forum before. Also, on the the deep crossing route, it was from Pruitt's side, but we were playing zone. Boulware should have been deep to cover his part of the field, but had bit up on the run to Randle-El who then threw the TD to the cheap shot artist.
--snip--

If you have things you can share that show that, I'd love to see it. I try to base things I say on accurate information to the extent possible.
I've seen the stuff about Etric Pruitt repeated in several different places, thus accepted it as "fact". I can see how your comments could be on target; my recall is that Boulware was more of an instinctive "roving" playmaker type than a "strict assignments" guy.

Even if those two were Boulware's assignment, the chemistry disruption of losing "real" safety Manuel, and replacing with Pruitt, "(Pruitt)...Having never played safety throughout the season as well as the playoffs", could cause massive coordination problems, e.g., where Boulware was trying to account for 2 sets of assignments, his and Pruitt's, with Pruitt's play being unpredictable. Probably a new topic, and possibly you (BASF) can point to some existing threads where this has been discussed and analyzed ad nauseum.

Back to a topic related to the thread, bottom line is still that having experienced, quality DB depth has EXTREME value, especially in "big game" situations where players go down. Maxwell looks like the guy for the future, but I say Browner would still have value to this team for another couple years, +/- how much tread is left on his tires. Missing a whole year, if that doesn't change, sucks for him and his "window".

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
olyfan63":2iguou3a said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2iguou3a said:
Moving Browner to safety seems like a good idea....until you mention the fact that he would be a backup to a couple of top 5 safeties and never crack the starting lineup again. Where is the value in that?

Two words: Etric Pruitt.
Two more words: Steelers win.

Having depth at safety is a big deal. 2 TD's worth in a Super Bowl. Just ask Mike Holmgren.

I say bring back BB at safety or wherever. He'll be cheap. And the value will be unbeatable.

Sorry, but you aren't going to convince me that Maragos, Johnson, or even Shead are and Etric Pruitt. Browner cannot be trusted to be on the field because he cannot be trusted to avoid doing something that he knows will end in a suspension.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
olyfan63":3lewxooa said:
AF_Hawk":3lewxooa said:

Great point about BB and Maxwell. I think Maxwell is just flat overall better than BB at this point. And he hasn't put himself in *stupid* situations like BB.

I still want Browner back for a couple more seasons, as a cheap backup to Maxwell, and also as a backup to Kam. Dude's a baller. Love the plays he's made on the field. I felt like his pick-6 against the Giants 2 years ago was really the start of the current run and overall team attitude. Road game, Giants driving for winning score, SOS, (Same Old Seahags, sigh...) then Browner comes up with that, and it was like a different team attitude from there forward. (or maybe just this fan ;-) ) And oh yeah, those Giants won the Super Bowl that year.
Also loved Browner's play against Carolina last year. And his obliteration of Welker that helped us beat the Patriots. He's historically won us a couple games a season with his key plays. When he's not on the field due to suspensions... not so much.

Really?