Byron Maxwell and Jeremy Lane...

BlueThunder

Reaction score
*SIGH*. So, seeing as how idiot Thurmond has decided to screw the team and the entire city of Seattle with his selfishness, how are we gonna fare with the two "next men up"? I remember being impressed with Lane last season, but I don't really know that much about Maxwell. So how much of a drop-off are we really looking at? I'm not sure it's as bad as some are thinking. It's not like we're gonna be left with 10 guys on Defense. I'm just curious about your opinions of our backups backups, and how you think they will do as we close out the season. The following here was cut and pasted from an article on ESPN:

"Byron Maxwell, who would start for Thurmond, is another capable backup who plays that spot when the Seahawks go to their nickel defense and move Thurmond to the slot. This would change the dynamic on how the Seahawks line up in obvious passing situations.

Jeremy Lane, a second-year player from Northwestern State (La.) will get more playing time. Lane started the final three games of the regular season last year when Browner was suspended for PEDs. But Maxwell has played well this season, so Lane probably will move to the slot in the nickel package and Maxwell will stay outside at corner.

The Seahawks also could make a roster move now to add depth to the secondary. If so, the likely addition is cornerback DeShawn Shead, who is on the practice squad. Like Browner, Shead (in his second year out of Portland State) is a big corner at 6-foot-2, 220 pounds. The coaches are high on his athletic ability.

So even without Thurmond, the Seahawks could be OK
"

But even so... DAMN YOU THURMOND!!!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hopefully it's the last game after HFA is locked up and all of the reserves are in.

Monistat

Reaction score
Hawks have an amazing pass rush to help injuries in our secondary. Bye week equals boredom. Our front seven will handle the Saints.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I really have no idea, I have only really seen Maxwell in garbage time. Lane did alright last year, but man.......them going against Brees scares me to death.

mrblitz

Reaction score
it could be that thurmond plays versus new orleans anyway, then goes on suspension.

thurmond is probably clearly better than lane/maxwell.

but maybe lane/maxwell each compare fairly well with a hamstrung browner. prior to the groin injury, it never looked to me like browner was at full strength this season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Full time practices with the starting unit will help them a lot, they will know the looks and assignments much better then we have seen in spot duty. My worry is about quickness of both in the slot, Jeron Johnson may end up there or Maragos or even Earl with a shift of one of the other Safetys to the Free spot.

Throwdown

Reaction score
They did fine last year the 4 games they had to do the duty, losing Thurmond isn't the end of the world.

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
Lane and Maxwell are great back ups and played awesome last year.

To be honest, I am more frustrated at Thurmond than I am scared at having Lane and Maxwell playing. The idiot couldnt stay on the field because of injuries in the previous seasons. While having a great year and finally staying healthy, he finds a way to blow it.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seahawks CB cut Will Blackmon is starting and making game-winning plays for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Lane and Maxwell are both better based on Seahawks' coaches choices. Thus, Lane and Maxwell would both be starting on a lot of NFL teams. Maybe Deshawn Shead sends him a thank-you note if he's the one that gets called up from practice squad.
Pete and Quinn will figure out a way to defend well with Maxwell and Lane on the field, and maybe Jeron Johnson and/or Maragos get some extra reps too.
WTIII is an excellent, excellent NFL corner, and mostly he hurt his offseason payday opportunity. I find it hard to get too down on the guy; he'll be back for the playoffs, and healthy then, and might just be the one that makes the "big play" in a big game, at which time we will all forgive him.

In any case, the "next men up" will get some good reps and the net result will be a stronger team. It only sucks mildly, and could be a net positive. Maybe we win an extra Super Bowl because of how Thurmond just hurt his value, and the Seahawks get to keep him AND another talented player next year they wouldn't have been able to keep if Thurmond really "got paid".

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Throwdown":2017119b said:
They did fine last year the 4 games they had to do the duty, losing Thurmond isn't the end of the world.
Exactly and is the reason why I don't understand the total panic on a thread currently 21 pages long primarily driven by BFS's unfounded fears.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1w0jr0kd said:
Throwdown":1w0jr0kd said:
Exactly and is the reason why I don't understand the total panic on a thread currently 21 pages long primarily driven by BFS's unfounded fears.

It's OK. There is no rule in place dictating that you understand other poster's concerns.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I tried to come up with some play on Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now", given the way Wilson often says, "Stay in the now" to the team, but came up empty. Maybe someone else will find inspiration there that I couldn't put together. DangeRuss it is. Maybe DangeRuss WilsoNow?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
olyfan63":3pfqnman said:
I tried to come up with some play on Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now", given the way Wilson often says, "Stay in the now" to the team, but came up empty. Maybe someone else will find inspiration there that I couldn't put together. DangeRuss it is. Maybe DangeRuss WilsoNow?

"say no to drugs"?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Actually, I think Maxwell would be better suited to sliding inside and he's done sometimes in the past. When Lane has played in the past, he's played almost exclusively on the outside where his speed is more utilized in man and deep 3. Maxwell is also very fast, but he has a toughness that really lends well to nickel. He's a really physical cover player who can hit. The experiences of each player also plays a part.

I obviously can't say that my opinions trump the coaching staff that see them in practice though so we'll see.

Hawks46

Reaction score
chris98251":2cuq24cz said:
Full time practices with the starting unit will help them a lot, they will know the looks and assignments much better then we have seen in spot duty. My worry is about quickness of both in the slot, Jeron Johnson may end up there or Maragos or even Earl with a shift of one of the other Safetys to the Free spot.

Wow. Good call. I didn't even remember Earl playing some slot CB last year and loving it. Maragos almost has the range that Earl does, but he doesn't have the instincts. That's a quandary: move Thomas up to erase their slot guy and weaken up the back end, or take your chances with Lane in the slot and keep Earl back to shore up the back end?

Maxwell has played a lot this year. Every time teams go 3 wide on us, Maxwell plays outside and Thurmond slides into the slot. His first couple of years, the coaches kept talking about his potential, but I remember him fighting tons of injuries, namely ankle injuries. He's outplayed Lane this year, but both guys are really outside guys. They lack the quickness and intuition to play inside.

Lane filled in for Browner last year and did very well. He's faster than Maxwell. He's slightly smaller, so he could be quick enough to hang in the slot. I remember him getting some nickle playing time last year and getting beat a bit in the slot, but younger players can progress and get better. Problem with Lane is lack of real secondary playing time on the field. Lane really has only seen the field during garbage time.

Shead projects more as a Safety. He probably lacks the quickness and experience for us to throw him into the game against Drew Brees.

I'm actually pretty worried about his, as Thurmond was really the only true slot guy we've had on the roster, excepting Earl Thomas.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Shead has outstanding quickness, actually. Especially for someone his size. If I remember correctly, he had a 6.78 3 cone time. 4.51 40 also so while his speed is good enough he's actually got really good feet. He was a corner at PSU that played some safety.

General Manager

Reaction score
I don't see any drop off in talent with Maxwell or Lane they haven't played as much though so there will be some period of adjustment. Thurmond screwed up big time I'm not sure I want to see him play again this year.

stack600

Reaction score
E.T.3 would be a great choice but the way he is playing his own position you cannot replace..His reads and speed to the ball is needed right were he is at.
Depth baby...Who was it? Sherm or Cam, that talked about Shead and what a great player he is, been awhile back now. Right down the depth chart= Speed and size, only thing lacking is experiance. I know will be fine, next man up as has been said, over and over.
On a different note, man did you see Palmer and Fitz yesterday. We got a tough road from here on out. Everyone knows Saints-49ers-Giants are going to be tough challemges but the Cards and Rams looking tough too.