Bruce Irvin suspended

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
The kid came all this way from a life that included robbery. Since signing with the Seahawks, he has recorded his first wrong doing...a single case of unauthorized PED use. Said PED use was most likely an effort to take the 'next step' at his job, which most fans and coaches were EXPECTING, by way of putting some more beef on his frame for one. Yep, he's guilty of trying to meet some pretty high expectations.

Also, believe it or not, Bruce Irvin genuinely gives a sh*t about his fans and wants to produce for them. He's a man of his word as well.

...and he follows me on Twitter...hold on, maybe I better re-examine the guy :shock: :thirishdrinkers:

I don't think anybody questions his guilt and the resulting punishment, but to sit in a glass house and criticize the guy for 'poor decisions' when the vast majority on this board haven't walked the same road and don't stand his shoes is laughable.

He either sinks or swims, and from what I've seen he's a survivor that has come a long way. This team rolled the dice on him because of his past, and if the only hit they ever take because of that is a 4 game suspension, I can live with that. Disappointed?.. you bet, but this isn't as jump-off-the-cliff serious as some of you are trying to paint it.

warden

Reaction score
Good teams overcome adversity

This is just another hurdle that we need to jump over in our journey.

Bennett and Avril will do just fine.

As of now the word is Clemons recovery is doing very well.

Time to step up and not whine about the suspension.

seahawksflow

Reaction score
bestfightstory":s5tx01lw said:
I am beginning to believe Richard Sherman's claim that he was misquoted in Canada. He didn't say "half the league is on Adderall."

He said "Half my team is on Adderall."

Maybe he was being honest. He's only been in the same locker room his whole career. Maybe according to his experience, he truly believes the entire NFL is taking Adderall... based on what he see's in his own locker room.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
gargantual":27k7ukxg said:
sc85sis":27k7ukxg said:
LoneHawkFan":27k7ukxg said:
I want to believe that Pete has had nothing to do with any of this, but obviously he didn't run an honest shop at SC...so why would or should I give him the benefit of the doubt here? If RW hadn't made him look like a genius last year and we finish 8-8 in that campaign, I'm thinking more folks would be questioning him right now.

Damn. Just...damn.

(sigh) I keep hoping that one of these days people will get the facts straight about what happened with Reggie Bush and people keep dashing those hopes into dust.

Yeah. Getting a bit sick of hearing this BS.

And 8-8.....really? So Pete gets no credit for Russell Wilson at all? Not for deciding to draft him (jointly with JS of course), or putting him into the 3-way competition, or picking him to be the starter?

Every bed-wetter in this place was crying endlessly about how the reps taken away from Flynn would kill our season, not to mention the whole too short.....wasted 3rd rounder.....the list is just about endless. You can't have it both ways. Either Pete built this team....and therefore gets credit for all it's success.......or not. Which one is it going to be?

Not saying that at all; I loved Wilson at Wisconsin and loved the draft pick. My point was that if we had gone 8-8 last season (thus we wouldn't be sitting here talking Superbowl) there would be a completely different sentiment regarding our 6 failed drug tests. As far as the SC stuff is concerned and Pete running an honest shop- I don't think anyone on this board knows exactly what happened. I think Pete is a great football coach- I give him credit for that...and if he has had any knowledge of this Adderall use and didn't absolutely force it's end...then he's partly to blame for that as well. I said I want to believe his hands are clean...but I'm not convince they are- nor am I convinced they aren't. I was simply suggesting a suspicion.

sc85sis

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":2fkz4ujv said:
sc85sis":2fkz4ujv said:
LoneHawkFan":2fkz4ujv said:
I want to believe that Pete has had nothing to do with any of this, but obviously he didn't run an honest shop at SC...so why would or should I give him the benefit of the doubt here? If RW hadn't made him look like a genius last year and we finish 8-8 in that campaign, I'm thinking more folks would be questioning him right now.

Damn. Just...damn.

(sigh) I keep hoping that one of these days people will get the facts straight about what happened with Reggie Bush and people keep dashing those hopes into dust.

Yeah right, because you're omniscient. I don't know what happened at SC and neither does anyone on this board. Don't act like you do. The most likely scenario is that for every speeding ticket handed out, there's 1000 other guys speeding. Same with NCAA rules violations...and same for failed piss tests.
I don't claim omniscience and never have. I also don't omnisciently assume that that actions of one player and his family mean that an entire program was somehow dirty, especially after the NCAA spent over four years going through the program with a fine-toothed comb.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":nqikcjlo said:
The kid came all this way from a life that included robbery. Since signing with the Seahawks, he has recorded his first wrong doing...a single case of unauthorized PED use. Said PED use was most likely an effort to take the 'next step' at his job, which most fans and coaches were EXPECTING, by way of putting some more beef on his frame for one. Yep, he's guilty of trying to meet some pretty high expectations.

Also, believe it or not, Bruce Irvin genuinely gives a sh*t about his fans and wants to produce for them. He's a man of his word as well.

...and he follows me on Twitter...hold on, maybe I better re-examine the guy :shock: :thirishdrinkers:

I don't think anybody questions his guilt and the resulting punishment, but to sit in a glass house and criticize the guy for 'poor decisions' when the vast majority on this board haven't walked the same road and don't stand his shoes is laughable.

He either sinks or swims, and from what I've seen he's a survivor that has come a long way. This team rolled the dice on him because of his past, and if the only hit they ever take because of that is a 4 game suspension, I can live with that. Disappointed?.. you bet, but this isn't as jump-off-the-cliff serious as some of you are trying to paint it.

I haven't read all 16+ pages, but the "chicken little" sentiment here seems to be misinterpreted. What I see (and how I feel also) I that this is stating to become too much of a trend- when we strap up for week 5 this year we will have endured 8 out of our last 10 games with a starting defender suspended for Adderall use. I think concern, not only about the team- but the individuals also, is warranted.

I don't see anyone on here saying "there goes the Superbowl"

As an isolated incident, it would obviously be easier to forgive and understand. Bruce Irvin seems to have made a conscious choice to take Adderall AFTER several of his teammates had already been caught. Those decisions are not created equal. He's not guilty of trying to meet some pretty high expectations here, he's guilty of being the next in what is becoming a longer line of suspended Seahawks for the use of Adderall.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
We don't KNOW it was Adderall. It could have been a specialty roids cocktail or a blunt or he could have been roofied by Moffitt.

Subzero717

Reaction score
seahawksflow":26yhtrpa said:
bestfightstory":26yhtrpa said:
I am beginning to believe Richard Sherman's claim that he was misquoted in Canada. He didn't say "half the league is on Adderall."

Maybe he was being honest. He's only been in the same locker room his whole career. Maybe according to his experience, he truly believes the entire NFL is taking Adderall... based on what he see's in his own locker room.

He knows outside his own locker room. He knows the intimate secrets of all 1700 active roster guys in the league because in the offseason some guys from other team sometimes work out together. :cry:

warden

Reaction score
bestfightstory":dvfdml4o said:
We don't KNOW it was Adderall. It could have been a specialty roids cocktail or a blunt or he could have been roofied by Moffitt.

We know nothing. It amazes me how strong the opinions are with such limited access to facts

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
sc85sis":3vl8lf3l said:
LoneHawkFan":3vl8lf3l said:
sc85sis":3vl8lf3l said:

Yeah right, because you're omniscient. I don't know what happened at SC and neither does anyone on this board. Don't act like you do. The most likely scenario is that for every speeding ticket handed out, there's 1000 other guys speeding. Same with NCAA rules violations...and same for failed piss tests.
I don't claim omniscience and never have. I also don't omnisciently assume that that actions of one player and his family mean that an entire program was somehow dirty, especially after the NCAA spent over four years going through the program with a fine-toothed comb.

The NCAA met with Carroll and others for three days upon the completion of their investigation. I didn't follow it too much at the time, but I read about it some yesterday. Evidently he was the only guy south of San Francisco that didn't know where Reggie's family was living. Evidently he was the only guy who didn't know how to legally hire his assistant coaches.

In our case here, I have to believe that he has done one of three things:

1 Completely ignored the Adderall issue altogether and not talked about it to anyone

2 talked to whoever he needed to about it and demanded that they needed to figure out how to mask it better

3 talked to whoever he needed to about it and demanded that nobody on the team be involved in any PEDs without a doctor's prescription.

Funny thing is that if 3 is correct, then Irvin's decision looks even worse...and if either of the first two are correct, well, then...we don't have ourselves an honest program here either. I fully expect that no NFL team is PED free- especially Adderall and HGH. Unfortunately, Pete has the *percieved* history of leading a cheater campaign so he's already behind the 8-ball with the media- and some fans.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Likely already posted... didn't read all 17 pages... but it's an expensive $203,400 "mistake" for Bruce.

Ouch.

McGruff

Reaction score
seahawksflow":24iqg83s said:
bestfightstory":24iqg83s said:

No, what he meant is half the NFL is pleading "adderall" to cover up their steroid use . . .

sc85sis

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":1t67hnak said:
sc85sis":1t67hnak said:
LoneHawkFan":1t67hnak said:
sc85sis said:

The NCAA met with Carroll and others for three days upon the completion of their investigation. I didn't follow it too much at the time, but I read about it some yesterday. Evidently he was the only guy south of San Francisco that didn't know where Reggie's family was living. Evidently he was the only guy who didn't know how to legally hire his assistant coaches.

In our case here, I have to believe that he has done one of three things:

1 Completely ignored the Adderall issue altogether and not talked about it to anyone

2 talked to whoever he needed to about it and demanded that they needed to figure out how to mask it better

3 talked to whoever he needed to about it and demanded that nobody on the team be involved in any PEDs without a doctor's prescription.

Funny thing is that if 3 is correct, then Irvin's decision looks even worse...and if either of the first two are correct, well, then...we don't have ourselves an honest program here either. I fully expect that no NFL team is PED free- especially Adderall and HGH. Unfortunately, Pete has the *percieved* history of leading a cheater campaign so he's already behind the 8-ball with the media- and some fans.
As a USC fan, I read about it extensively. I've also read the COI report multiple times, and I have some contact with people reasonably close to the program. I have seen a lot of incorrect statements thrown about by fans of other schools and people in the media, the latter of whom really can't be excused for not doing their homework.

USC's football program was hit extremely hard primarily for the actions of a single player and his family. Much of the basis for the decision is on the assumption that an assistant coach "should have known" what was occurring - not that he knew, but that he should have known. The 'evidence' is primarily one photo of said coach posing with some guys in a bar and a single phone call that occurred late at night. The coach was given an incorrect date when asked about the call during NCAA questioning. There are also emails between NCAA members that may indicate that said coach was disliked by the NCAA and that improprieties occurred in their investigation. The possible release of those emails is currently in appeal as part of the coach's lawsuit against the NCAA.

As to Pete, he was cited for hiring an extra coach. This coach was a friend of his who had recently lost his job. Due to the timing of his firing, it was unlikely he could find another job in the near future. Pete threw him a bone and had him review special teams tape and make some recommendations. Yes it was technically a violation, but it was not a conspiracy to cheat on Pete's part. An assistant AD was aware of the hiring and authorized payment. He is as guilty of compliance failure as Pete is.

One other bone of contention is Paul Dee's (COI chairman's) statement that "high profile athletes demand high profile compliance." This is a standard that had never been applied prior to the Bush case, and also has not been applied since. It's also ironic to many that Dee was the AD at Miami when many alleged violations occurred.

I agree that there is a perception held by some that Pete ran a dirty program. My issue is that those people don't get all the facts before jumping to that conclusion. We also must guard against conflating events.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Dismas":1eq9ci3w said:
I'm late to the thread, so forgive me if this has been said already, I didn't want to read 16 pages of people screaming dummt and bust.

He took a banned substance, it's done, and nothing to be done about it.

Bruce made a mistake, and now, I think, he is using it as an excuse to grow up.

He did the first thing absolutely right, he owned it. He isn't blaming someone else, or screaming for a loophole . . . he did it, he owned it.

I am guessing that he has been doing a lot of soul searching lately, seeing that he has a very real chance of steamrolling bad decisions, and ending up right where he was 4 years ago. Judging by his statement, that is not where he plans to end up.

He cut his hair . . . to me, this is a huge sign of growing up. Becoming less concerned with looking cool, and more concerned with gewtting his shit together.

I think this may ed up being just what he needed. I am looking forward to game 5 this year, when he gets back on the field with redemption burning in his veins!

Most of this growing up stuff is translated from my personal exerience I had to find myself in a position where my choices were to change everything about my life, or to continue as I was and get used to spending significant portions of my life in confinement. I chose to grow up.

I am hoping Bruce chose to grow up. It took me til I was 35 to become a man, maybe he can do it before he hits 25, and if so, good for him.

Stay stromg Bruce. We all make mistakes . . . it is how you respond to them that will be your legacy.
What? An island of sanity in this sea of handwringing, kudos. :th2thumbs:

cacksman

Reaction score
Now how do we think this impacts us in the first 4 games of the season? I think the biggest potential loss is him vs Carolina in week 1. He had a dominant game last year rushing Cam. I will feel a lot better if we can just get out of Carolina with a victory.

Giedi

Reaction score
cacksman":3m4s5s28 said:
Now how do we think this impacts us in the first 4 games of the season? I think the biggest potential loss is him vs Carolina in week 1. He had a dominant game last year rushing Cam. I will feel a lot better if we can just get out of Carolina with a victory.
I don't think you should have any problems with Cam. If Wilson does his thing and keeps scoring, I don't think they have the team to come back from a deficit if Bennet and Avril are as good as advertized.

warden

Reaction score
Let's hope PC/JS found another gem with hill, a strong push up the middle will make it easy for Bennett and Avril to wreck havoc

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
cacksman":2inirtdu said:
It will be alot less than last year because we did pick up Avril and Bennett and a bunch of rookies who may or may not work out. I think it's short enough (4 games) that we can cover for it given we have all the time in the world to work up specific schemes etc. to cover for the weakness.