Bruce Irvin Highlights 2016/ Rant

Jville

Reaction score
I think Irvin's on air answer to the question of would you rather have a sack or an interception was rather predictive of his future. After all, Seattle's head coach begins every year with the proclamation .... "it's all about the football".

Seymour

Reaction score
seabird12":3v14hlbc said:
:greetingsearthling: Im a raider fan first but a closet seahawks fan matthew hasselbeck is who made me pay attention to the hawks then yall stole Tom cable and zack miller from us. Anyways I have no idea why you guys got rid of Bruce yall treated him like a role player. This guy notched 7 sacks,6 forced fumbles 72 tackles , 14 behind the line of scrimmage in 2016. The raiders are the new hawks ken norton,bruce irvin,malcolm smith,marshawn lynch. Our Gm openly admitted he offered schneider a 2nd rd pick for sherman but the talks cooled off a while back.Yall should of took the sec rd pick. The best thing yall did was cut skyler howard that dude was trash in college. Temper your expectations on luke joeckel I mean cable making him seem like a hall of famer he was good in college but so far in his career he is a bust.
https://youtu.be/lV1P_hDHDXo :0190l:

Bruce had more sacks here his rookie season for starters.

Also, I see 57 combined tackles for Bruce last year, so I'm flat out calling BS on your post.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1dkawdqn said:
If Joeckel can be mediocre -- I think that is an upgrade for us.

TBF it would also be an upgrade for Joeckel.

In any case, this is a weird thread, but I guess we can talk about Irvin in it.

I think Irvin was a great fit in the Hawks' defense, but there was also the sense by some that he was a more multifaceted player than what the Hawks required of him, and with a scenery change he could be more of multifaceted of an impact player than what his role in Seattle allowed for.

So far in Oakland I think he's proven that to be accurate.

As a result it's one of those atypical situations in which I think the Hawks were as right to not resign him as the Raiders were to sign him -- that doesn't happen too much.

As for Irvin leaving Seattle with some animosity, that's not a debatable point. Them not picking up his option and his reaction to that was incredibly well documented. I can kinda understand why the Hawks didn't do it, but since the new CBA I can't think of any other player of Irvin's ability who didn't have his option picked up.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Bruce Irvin smack? el o el.

Every good thing Irvin did he did two boneheaded disasters. He is the perfect Raider

Jville

Reaction score
With regards to would of, could of, should of, John Schneider and Reggie McKenzie have a very good relationship. It's not at all adversarial. They have exchanged thoughts and found ways to help one another. I think we will continue to see more evidence of that going forward.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":6xbpz6dh said:
As for Irvin leaving Seattle with some animosity, that's not a debatable point. Them not picking up his option and his reaction to that was incredibly well documented. I can kinda understand why the Hawks didn't do it, but since the new CBA I can't think of any other player of Irvin's ability who didn't have his option picked up.

Yeah, obviously there was some bent feelings on Irvin's side.

But Schneider has been on record that he doesn't like using the 5th year option. Granted, our sample size is small. But we've never utilized that option. Seattle has also been extremely conservative with franchise tags as well and has only used them once to my recollection and that was on a kicker.

Seattle's a bit different in this regard. Consistent but different. I suspect that factors in fairly heavily in our annual trade out of R1 strategy.

With other players who we did retain (Wagner, Sherman, Chancellor, Thomas, Wright), we've simply done the extension route with them. So I do think we recognized those we wanted to resign and used the traditional methodologies for that.

I am not that well versed in the history of 1st round picks where they were granted the 5th year option (classes of '11, '12 and now '13). I suspect you're right that Irvin is one of the best players who didn't have that option picked up. Regardless though, the circumstances for letting him go still remained. Seattle had far too many extensions to defensive players either freshly inked or impending. If Seattle didn't have that many defensive stars they wanted to keep, they could have. And probably would have.

Personally, I was surprised that we opted to retain KJ Wright, instead of Irvin. However considering the season Wright just had, I can see that was a wise choice. Ultimately, Seattle couldn't pay pro bowl market rate for three defensive backs, three linebackers and two defensive ends.

Seattle is going to have to trim some salary somewhere when Frank Clark is due. It's possible that he'll end up forcing Seattle to either cut Avril or Bennett or manage to extend him so that cap hits come when their current deals expire.

It's also worth noting, that Irvin ultimately got a better deal in year 5 onwards than he would have had we picked up the option. In virtually every way (guarantees, bonus and salary). He was a player who came in as a 25 year old rookie. So hitting the open market at 29 is far preferable than 30. He may still have an outside chance of getting a decent 3rd deal.

JPatera76

Reaction score
"Seahawks" fan but then goes on some rant of "we're the new hawks" blah blah and somehow discreetly crapped on the team he's a "fan" of. lol interesting great troll

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maulbert":1ucyo4lf said:
NINEster":1ucyo4lf said:
stang233":1ucyo4lf said:
Malcom Smith is now a whiner.

He will play better in SF than either of his previous spots.

So he'll get 2 NFC Championship clinching interceptions and 2 Super Bowl MVPs in San Francisco?
Ouch! That has to sting a bit! :2thumbs: