Bruce Irvin free agent market

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Basis4day":2vz3nvi4 said:
There seems to be a conflict when i discuss Irvin's future with fellow Hawks fans (Not necessarily in this thread) .

On the one hand they don't think Irvin deserves a huge contract from the hawks while at the same time believing another team will be willing to offer him one. Isn't that contradictory?

You could plug Russell Okung's name into this comment as well. I do think it feels contradictory.

However, I think this contradiction makes a little more sense with Irvin. He may be one of those rare players who is worth more to a different team (due to scheme, role, etc.) than he is to the team that developed him. The notion that he looks like a 3-4 prototype probably drives this thought, as well as the team's commitment to Avril and Bennett as their starters.

If I was a GM, I would be a little skeptical. Four years in, and we still don't really know what he is or how he fits on any given team. He wouldn't be on my target list, but a 3-4 GM who wants to gamble might take a shot, and it really could pay off for him.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Fade":1voqnh8h said:
Bruce is going to have many suitors.

OAK / JAX / ATL are all familiar with him. OAK & JAX have crazy cap space in particular.

Then there are the 3-4 teams that need an OLB as that is his natural position. The Jets, and I could even see the Cards & Niners going after him to stick it to Seattle.
I don't think the Cards have the cap room and will need to sign some of their own UFA's. The 9'rs have room but I think Bruce will be able to select a similar offer from a better ball club.

dogorama

Reaction score
Basis4day":1hjn4h18 said:
DavidSeven":1hjn4h18 said:
He needs to be an every-down DE for Seattle to justify a big-money extension.

If Seattle thought he was good enough to be that, it probably would've happened already.

That is your answer.

No one is going to pay huge money for him to be a competent 4-3 LB.

That said, 3-4 seems like his wheelhouse. Wonder if he (and other teams) realize that.

There seems to be a conflict when i discuss Irvin's future with fellow Hawks fans (Not necessarily in this thread) .

On the one hand they don't think Irvin deserves a huge contract from the hawks while at the same time believing another team will be willing to offer him one. Isn't that contradictory?

Last year's lack of an extension (or whatever that was) spoke volumes about how the FO feels about Irvin BUT another team may feel he fits their scheme. All said, I tend to agree w/your assessment.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well clearly our line, which struggles to get pressure against a good line, will be that much better getting rid of one of our productive pass rushers and one of the better LBs out there.

But we cannot afford him, so I imagine he is gone.

But the team gets worse without him.

Disappointing to hear.

sutz

Reaction score
Basis4day":2aeoqk2j said:
DavidSeven":2aeoqk2j said:
He needs to be an every-down DE for Seattle to justify a big-money extension.

If Seattle thought he was good enough to be that, it probably would've happened already.

That is your answer.

No one is going to pay huge money for him to be a competent 4-3 LB.

That said, 3-4 seems like his wheelhouse. Wonder if he (and other teams) realize that.

Not when you account for the 3-4, 4-3 argument. Bruce seems more like a 3-4 pass rushing OLB than a 3 down 4-3 OLB. We ask him to do a lot more in coverage and the run game than a base 3-4 team might, and it is likely he'll get more opportunities to rush the passer from that slot.

We'll see. He said he might soften his contract demands toward a more team friendly deal, but it seems likely that some team will dangle a pretty big deal in front of him. Doubtful he'll give up $3-4 mill/year over 4-5 years if it comes to that.

rideaducati

Reaction score
It "MIGHT" be time for Bruce to become the Leo and Avril to move on. Just a thought, but I think it might happen.

Basis4day

Reaction score
rideaducati":uhcwo3ss said:
It "MIGHT" be time for Bruce to become the Leo and Avril to move on. Just a thought, but I think it might happen.

How do you figure that? They just extended Avril mid 2014 season and chose not to pick up Irvin's option.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Basis4day":3ijbdi1c said:
rideaducati":3ijbdi1c said:

How do you figure that? They just extended Avril mid 2014 season and chose not to pick up Irvin's option.

Avril's age and cap savings by letting Avril go. They've been grooming Irvin for four years...maybe he's ready. They might be able to get good value in a trade too. I don't know what they'll do, but I see this as a possibility. They tend to surprise us every now and then and this would be a surprise.

Basis4day

Reaction score
rideaducati":3p0lxxeo said:
Basis4day":3p0lxxeo said:
rideaducati":3p0lxxeo said:

Avril's age and cap savings by letting Avril go. They've been grooming Irvin for four years...maybe he's ready. They might be able to get good value in a trade too. I don't know what they'll do, but I see this as a possibility. They tend to surprise us every now and then and this would be a surprise.

Except they haven't been grooming him as a Leo. And if that was the original plan i think they would have extended him already and not extend Avril at the same time.

edogg23

Reaction score
rideaducati":1v4semjh said:
Basis4day":1v4semjh said:
rideaducati":1v4semjh said:

I'm guessing you didn't know that Irvin is 28 and Avril is 29. Not exactly a big age difference there.

rideaducati

Reaction score
edogg23":3s55jnn3 said:
rideaducati":3s55jnn3 said:
Basis4day":3s55jnn3 said:
rideaducati":3s55jnn3 said:

I'm guessing you didn't know that Irvin is 28 and Avril is 29. Not exactly a big age difference there.

I thought Avril was older. It seems like he's been around forever.

McGruff

Reaction score
rideaducati":2g39tbhz said:
I thought Avril was older. It seems like he's been around forever.

He has. He was very young coming into the league. And Bruce was a 24 year old rookie.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
I agree with the above, my biggest hope is he gets enough for us to get a 3rd rounder comp pick

Pretty sure that will happen there are several idiots running teams out there that have got "extra" bucks to throw at a slightly above player and "utlize him better" LOL

mrt144

Reaction score
rideaducati":2mpdt7pb said:
Basis4day":2mpdt7pb said:
rideaducati":2mpdt7pb said:

We could play madlibs and create 'possible' scenarios with players.

I'll start

Jermaine Kearse traded for a ham sandwich.

Rob12

Reaction score
I'll miss him but he's gone. If the team valued him as much as many of us do, that option would have been picked up.

My money is still on Dan Quinn bringing him home to the ATL.

seahawks51usc

Reaction score
I think Irvin was one of yesterday's biggest winners.

He's almost a carbon copy of Von Miller athletic-wise. After seeing what a huge difference Von Miller made yesterday, Irvin is going to get paaaiiiiddddd.

nrayorr

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":29d2y94t said:
Hawk_Nation":29d2y94t said:
When we signed both KJ & Bobby and didn't pick up his option, the writing was on the wall. I love Bruuuuuuce, but the NFL is a business, and money trumps all. He needs to go get paid and raise his family.

...and you can't manage to raise a family on $4 million a year?

You give me a million dollars a year and I'll raise the heck out of my family!! :mrgreen:

firebee

Reaction score
Rob12":oybvy3r4 said:
I'll miss him but he's gone. If the team valued him as much as many of us do, that option would have been picked up.

My money is still on Dan Quinn bringing him home to the ATL.

My thoughts exactly to the tee... I think he ends up in the ATL too.