Bruce Irvin free agent market

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm projecting that some team will pay Irvin $8.5M APY, and the team will get a 4th round comp pick in exchange.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I hope that's true. That'd pretty much mean he's getting us a 3rd round compensatory pick back

pmedic920

Reaction score
Yes, let's be fair.

Bruce tweeted 3 emojis in response to what somebody else tweeted.
Here's a screenshot of the actual tweet.

9cff2c782867d7df12a2c5128638a6c0.jpg

Basis4day

Reaction score
If someone blows him out of the market with an offer a can't begrudge him for it. You don't get many chances to make this kind of money.

But that's the thing. Some team actually needs to be willing to spend that kind of cash. You can't make what no one offers.

I'm interested to see his real market in FA. He wants more of a pass rushing role, but the Seahawks converted him to a OLB in a 4-3 scheme. Are teams really going to break the bank for a pass rusher without the stats to back it up? Will Bruce accept a smaller offer from a team that will use him as a pass rusher? Will the market be lower and the Seahawks have a chance to resign him at something reasonable?

It's intriguing.

drrew

Reaction score
Really like Bruce, the story of what he went through as a teenager was just crazy, and 12 years later he's about to acquire multi-generational wealth, that's fantastic for him.

I can't really see any way he stays, and if I had to guess, I think he signs in Oakland.

jblaze

Reaction score
Bye Bruce, it was fun while it lasted!

Pick 15 overall, was he a bust? You'd expect more from a 15 overall in my opinion.

He wants to rush the passer but he's a bit of a one trick pony.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pmedic920":1v9w9y1u said:
Yes, let's be fair.

Bruce tweeted 3 emojis in response to what somebody else tweeted.

Context is everything...

Nice find pmed..

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I think Seattle would love to resign him and I think there is no chance the team can pay anywhere near to what Bruce will command.

zelter

Reaction score
My favourite Bruce story
They had a kids event two summers ago in North Vancouver
Bruce was signing autographs for the kids - A few dads asked to have something signed but we had to wait until all the kids were done - Eventually all the kids were done and gone - Before we could get a autograph, this drop-dead gorgeous centerfold in a tight hawks low cut t-shirt appears out of nowhere - she goes to the front of the line (all the dads mouths drop and take a step back) she says she saw Bruce at the club last night - she pulls down her t shirt from the collar and asks for her breast to be signed - the crowd gasps - Bruce does with a big smile - The signs the rest of our stuff - I am sure its like that for most of these guys but wow to see it in person

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
jblaze":3j1b3fp3 said:

Pick 15 overall, was he a bust? You'd expect more from a 15 overall in my opinion.

I don't think you're going to get a lot of traction in the "Bruce is a bust" bandwagon. He's been great at times and pretty solid the rest of the time. As for the "bust for the 15th overall pick" comment, lets not forget that pick 3 was Trent Richardson. Or that pick 2 and 3 first round picks were used to get RG3 (and his 1 hit wonder season). Or Justin Blackmon at 5. I would lump in Mo Claiborne (6) too as a bigger bust than Irvin and that's just from the 2012 draft.

Irvin has developed as an average to above average coverage backer with a fantastic speed rush. He'd do well as either a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 SLB. He's going to get $8-$10 mil/year. I just hope it's enough for a 3rd round comp.

kearly

Reaction score
drrew":1thz7vgj said:
Really like Bruce, the story of what he went through as a teenager was just crazy, and 12 years later he's about to acquire multi-generational wealth, that's fantastic for him.

From drug house to penthouse in only a few years, it really is an insanely unlikely journey he's had. I'll miss Irvin, but if he gets us a 2017 3rd round comp pick, it will help ease the pain.

Basis4day

Reaction score
jblaze":29lw9s93 said:

You always need to compare what other players were available when evaluating picks as they don't exist in a vacuum.
We badly needed pass rush at the time. Had we stayed at pick 12 we could have gotten Fletcher Cox at DT. But we traded down and got Irvin and received the pick that got Jaye Howard (Who really came on for the Chiefs) and Jeremy Lane.

Getting Irvin, Wagner, Wilson, Howard, Lane, and Sweezy in one draft is one heck of a haul.

Fade

Reaction score
Bruce is going to have many suitors.

OAK / JAX / ATL are all familiar with him. OAK & JAX have crazy cap space in particular.

Then there are the 3-4 teams that need an OLB as that is his natural position. The Jets, and I could even see the Cards & Niners going after him to stick it to Seattle.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if he's back next season.

Some team will pay more than the hawk will to acquire his services.

Seymour

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2htnwvtz said:
Hawk_Nation":2htnwvtz said:
When we signed both KJ & Bobby and didn't pick up his option, the writing was on the wall. I love Bruuuuuuce, but the NFL is a business, and money trumps all. He needs to go get paid and raise his family.

...and you can't manage to raise a family on $4 million a year?

Crack houses tend to have very large families. :stirthepot:

edogg23

Reaction score
Sign that monster deal and get us a 3rd round draft pick Bruce!!!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He needs to be an every-down DE for Seattle to justify a big-money extension.

If Seattle thought he was good enough to be that, it probably would've happened already.

That is your answer.

No one is going to pay huge money for him to be a competent 4-3 LB.

That said, 3-4 seems like his wheelhouse. Wonder if he (and other teams) realize that.

sutz

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1lzya47c said:

If Seattle thought he was good enough to be that, it probably would've happened already.

That is your answer.

That said, 3-4 seems like his wheelhouse. Wonder if he (and other teams) realize that.
Cannot argue with what you posted.

My problem is that once he's gone, and supposing he gets a job as a pass rushing 3-4 OLB like suits his skill set somewhat, people around here will be pointing at his higher sack totals and scream, "See we should have paid him!"

Watch, it'll happen. ;)

nanomoz

Reaction score
It's been said about a hundred times, but it's worth reiterating: a team that runs a 34 base defense is going to pay Bruce bags of money to be a pass rushing OLB. And he'll be worth it to them, most likely.

Basis4day

Reaction score
DavidSeven":71f6q71i said:

That is your answer.

There seems to be a conflict when i discuss Irvin's future with fellow Hawks fans (Not necessarily in this thread) .

On the one hand they don't think Irvin deserves a huge contract from the hawks while at the same time believing another team will be willing to offer him one. Isn't that contradictory?

Latest posts