Brooks Has Torn ACL

morgulon1

Reaction score
What seems odd to me..

The defense didn't take a giant step back when Brooks went down. Would anyone agree ? And if so , does Brooks stay in the lineup because of where he was drafted ? That's supposed to not be the case with PC and his philosophy.

Seattle is paying Will Dissly like he's a center piece of the offense yet he's hurt every year. The Seahawks seem to have a strong TE group whether he's there or not. I noticed the entire team was jacked beyond belief when Mabry got his TD . Offense and defense.

Which brings me to the next question,
DK Metcalf is being paid like he's not jag.
Yet he was shut down yesterday, and he's missing in action for long stretches .
He gets into fights and loses composure at the worst times. After hearing the Richard Sherman podcast with Tyler Lockett , I kind of understand where he's coming from and I feel a little bit like an asshole for talking about him. He's consistent, stats healthy for the most part and we're lucky to have him.

Is DK irreplaceable? Is Dissly? Is Brooks? Does Darrell Taylor emerge if
The interior of the line is solid?

Seattle did well against a pretty damn good NY Jets defense. This team perplexes me .

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
What seems odd to me..

The defense didn't take a giant step back when Brooks went down. Would anyone agree ? And if so , does Brooks stay in the lineup because of where he was drafted ? That's supposed to not be the case with PC and his philosophy.

Seattle is paying Will Dissly like he's a center piece of the offense yet he's hurt every year. The Seahawks seem to have a strong TE group whether he's there or not. I noticed the entire team was jacked beyond belief when Mabry got his TD . Offense and defense.

Which brings me to the next question,
DK Metcalf is being paid like he's not jag.
Yet he was shut down yesterday, and he's missing in action for long stretches .
He gets into fights and loses composure at the worst times. After hearing the Richard Sherman podcast with Tyler Lockett , I kind of understand where he's coming from and I feel a little bit like an asshole for talking about him. He's consistent, stats healthy for the most part and we're lucky to have him.

Is DK irreplaceable? Is Dissly? Is Brooks? Does Darrell Taylor emerge if
The interior of the line is solid?

Seattle did well against a pretty damn good NY Jets defense. This team perplexes me .
I completely agree with alot of what you're saying here.

I actually thought the D was better without Brooks.

Dissly - kinda the Jamal of the offense. I agree on this one. TE group seemed fine without him. And I like Dissly.

I think the riot act needs to be read to some people with big heads on the Hawks this offseason. But, when you got Pete apologizing to DK and Tyler for not getting them enough touches yesterday at a press conference - Iron hand rules are a ways away.

I've thought that PC lets everyone get away with way too much. Anyhow. Off topic now.

To answer your final question directly - I think there are some replaceable airbags and some injury prone expensive dudes on the team. For sure. Will they be slapped/replaced? I tend to think not.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I completely agree with alot of what you're saying here.

I actually thought the D was better without Brooks.

Dissly - kinda the Jamal of the offense. I agree on this one. TE group seemed fine without him. And I like Dissly.

I think the riot act needs to be read to some people with big heads on the Hawks this offseason. But, when you got Pete apologizing to DK and Tyler for not getting them enough touches yesterday at a press conference - Iron hand rules are a ways away.

I've thought that PC lets everyone get away with way too much. Anyhow. Off topic now.

To answer your final question directly - I think there are some replaceable airbags and some injury prone expensive dudes on the team. For sure. Will they be slapped/replaced? I tend to think not.
This is a problem that keeps this team from moving forward. Not being able to
Say " enough" and get the people in the game that are willing to make it happen and not hurt the teams progress.
To respond directly , I like Dissly as well.
I like DK for that matter. I don't think they're worth what they're being paid .
I'm jag who has followed this team for years , this doesn't make me an expert
and I'm sure there's plenty we'll never know about the inner workings of this team.
I also agree , I thought the defense worked better after Brooks left .

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
This is a theory, so if anyone watches extensive tape on Barton could help answer this I'd greatly appreciate it.

What if Barton's mindset has always been as a MLB which explains why he was out of position CONSTANTLY?

renofox

Reaction score
...which explains why he was out of position CONSTANTLY?
I see this knock on Barton continuously on this board. I played football (mostly LB/Safety) from peewee through college, and even though I can make educated guesses there is no way I can ever be sure exactly what Barton's assignment is on any given play.

I'd like to know what posters here have the intimate knowledge of the Seahawks playbook that allows them to categorically state that they KNOW Barton constantly blows assignments.

Calling him out on missed tackles and failure to shed blocks is reasonable, but he hasn't been measurably worse than the other LB/DL in that area. From the eye test, he's actually been better overall in those areas than Brooks and even many of the DL.

I understand that .net needs a whipping boy, but I can think of more deserving candidates.

I don't think Barton is great by any means, but he is near dead-on average. That means he is playing at a higher level than much of the remaining front 7 on this team.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
It seemed mean to say in light of Brooks being hurt but yeah, I thought our D didn't take a step back either. Granted White wasn't playing well but it seemed like the big runs that happened early stopped.

This could come back to burn me vs Akers next week

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
This is a problem that keeps this team from moving forward. Not being able to
Say " enough" and get the people in the game that are willing to make it happen and not hurt the teams progress.
To respond directly , I like Dissly as well.
I like DK for that matter. I don't think they're worth what they're being paid .
I'm jag who has followed this team for years , this doesn't make me an expert
and I'm sure there's plenty we'll never know about the inner workings of this team.
I also agree , I thought the defense worked better after Brooks left .
I think we both agree on several of your points… and the fact that we need new head coach leadership. We throw a TON of money at people that don’t produce:

Adams
Wilson
Dissly
Brown

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I see this knock on Barton continuously on this board. I played football (mostly LB/Safety) from peewee through college, and even though I can make educated guesses there is no way I can ever be sure exactly what Barton's assignment is on any given play.

I'd like to know what posters here have the intimate knowledge of the Seahawks playbook that allows them to categorically state that they KNOW Barton constantly blows assignments.

Calling him out on missed tackles and failure to shed blocks is reasonable, but he hasn't been measurably worse than the other LB/DL in that area. From the eye test, he's actually been better overall in those areas than Brooks and even many of the DL.

I understand that .net needs a whipping boy, but I can think of more deserving candidates.

I don't think Barton is great by any means, but he is near dead-on average. That means he is playing at a higher level than much of the remaining front 7 on this team.
Oh don't get me wrong, I have no idea if he truly is out of place or not, just going off of what a lot of people have said in prior game-day posts. That's why I asked for more intelligent, watchful opinions

Fade

Reaction score
This injury is a blessing 🙏 in disguise.

There is now zero chance of a massive extension. And also zero chance he will start next year. Addition by subtraction.

He's a Sam in a 4-3 anyway, not a Mike. Watching him take bad angles, and get roasted in the pass game has been tough to watch.

They need an upgrade, and with this injury, the Hawks have no choice but to do just that.

morgulon1

Reaction score
This injury is a blessing 🙏 in disguise.

There is now zero chance of a massive extension. And also zero chance he will start next year. Addition by subtraction.

He's a Sam in a 4-3 anyway, not a Mike. Watching him take bad angles, and get roasted in the pass game has been tough to watch.

They need an upgrade, and with this injury, the Hawks have no choice but to do just that.
I agree Brooks wasn't the dude to play Middle.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Im no x's and o's expert but doing the old eye test... lol Barton seemed to play more naturally in brooks spot and the run was less prominent for the jets at that point.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Top Billings and several other commentators I saw noticed how Brooks was always slow to get to get to his gap. Keep in mind, he's responsible for getting people lined up. What I noticed throughout this season is that the defense seemed to have a lot of communication issues. I surmise that Brooks has been part of that issue. I don't think Brooks really gets his new position well.

In the defensive scheme that we've been running there is a great deal of pressure put on the linebackers to diagnose and get to the position quickly to stop the run. Brooks always seems to hesitate to his position and he never really seems to attack. Sometimes it looks as if he's just standing around and waiting.

Brooks also is awful at shedding blocks. Someone gets a hand on him and he's out of the play. He doesn't know how to shed blocks. I've never been overly impressed by him even at OLB in the 4-3 scheme. His coverage skills are also extremely bad, worse than Cody Bartons for sure. He's just always seemed like a very soft linebacker that athletic all the way back to college. He just kind of seems like JAG. His tackle stat is very misleading.

Barton on the other hand makes more big splash plays than Brooks ever did. He is able to knife through the LOS and cause havoc more often on run plays. He is also quicker to his position than Brooks is. We've actually won several games on a key Barton stop this year. I can't say the same about Brooks.

Barton himself is a flawed player though and I don't think we can accurately say one way or another that he's going to be better than Brooks here. We have to remember that Barton was put in that position when the Jets were way behind. They had to all but abandon the running game at that point in time (hey sound familiar?). Though, I will say this, he looked far more aggressive and proactive than Brooks at that position.

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
This is a theory, so if anyone watches extensive tape on Barton could help answer this I'd greatly appreciate it.

What if Barton's mindset has always been as a MLB which explains why he was out of position CONSTANTLY?

I certainly haven't watched the tape on Barton, but he's graded out above average since the first Rams game. And shockingly, he grades out (significantly) better than Brooks. So most of the narrative surrounding him, specifically his being a liability, is overstated. He's been good at pretty good OLB. So there's no reason to believe he was miscast in his prior role.

Rat

Reaction score
Brooks ****ing sucks anyway. Who gives a ****? That was a stupid draft pick to begin with and most of Seahawks fandom recognized that.