Broncos very near deal for Colin Kaepernick

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2az9mwfi said:
chris98251":2az9mwfi said:
Kaep showed up today so now he is on track to collect his bonus and the 49ers on the hook for salary, so the game of chicken has begun, if Kaep is still injured and can't throw or do anything he is collecting a paycheck watching everyone work, wonder how his presence at the facility makes everyone feel, basically he is an expensive decoration and distraction now.
As you see, Justice may be blind, our quarterback too short (like the rapper that did just fine) but the law isn't. What goes around comes around sometimes hilariously for the peanut gallery.

Mizzy droppin' rymes like a Mic.

I'd like to carry on our torrid P.M. love affair we've had. By carry on I mean, start one.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":30qkazm5 said:
MizzouHawkGal":30qkazm5 said:
chris98251":30qkazm5 said:
Kaep showed up today so now he is on track to collect his bonus and the 49ers on the hook for salary, so the game of chicken has begun, if Kaep is still injured and can't throw or do anything he is collecting a paycheck watching everyone work, wonder how his presence at the facility makes everyone feel, basically he is an expensive decoration and distraction now.
As you see, Justice may be blind, our quarterback too short (like the rapper that did just fine) but the law isn't. What goes around comes around sometimes hilariously for the peanut gallery.

I'd like to carry on our torrid P.M. love affair we've had. By carry on I mean, start one.

Hit me sir. Life is being fair to me currently and I'd love to tell you how if you care.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":plb0f82w said:
400WattHPSHawk":plb0f82w said:
MizzouHawkGal":plb0f82w said:
chris98251":plb0f82w said:

Hit me sir. Life is being fair to me currently and I'd love to tell you how if you care.

Our previous agreement still binding?, No Amway sales pitches, agreed?

...I care. :th2thumbs:

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
I say heck yes, sign him up.

The next time the Hawks plays the Donks will be such an awesome game on so many levels.
Turkey, anyone?

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Kaepernick throwing a seam route...

(no offense to Lamar, or white guy at Rock Fest USA)
[youtube]JUPCET4PGaA[/youtube]

OkieHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":av5egk2v said:
Tical21 said so not you. We're in total agreement so just relax you will live longer. :)

How you embedded the quotes it looked as if you were replying to me directly. If you would have simply quoted Tical and replied there wouldn't have been confusion.

NINEster

Reaction score
The most insulting thing about the whole Kap to Denver saga is Elway being an arrogant prick about it.

As someone pointed out to me, Elway was ready to give BROCK OSWEILER $16 million per year after 7 starts and a lower career QB rating than Kap, and here he is nickel and diming Kap like he's garbage.

Let's get one thing straight here:

Colin Kaepernick has done way more in this league than Osweiler has so far. Comparing their first 7 career starts isn't even on the same level.....one guy plays in a Super Bowl throwing 300 yards on 10 YPA, the other backs up a QB on his last legs who only won because his defense was lights out.

One forced an entrenched starter to be traded, the other lucked out on a dinosaur retiring.

Osweiler may well go on to be a decent QB in this league but we've yet to see any proof of that. This logic of giving him $16 per, you would have had to give Kap at least $20 if he was an FA after 2012.

Osweiler sat on the bench for a lot longer than Kap, had more weapons than him and still got displaced by a subpar QB.

The entire thing is ridiculous.

You either believe you're getting 2012/2013 Kap or you're not with this trade.

If Crabtree catches just one of several passes at the end of 2012 or 2013, Kaepernick is a top 5-10 QB in this league till the end of time.

Crazy world we live in.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
NINEster":1nyreevf said:
The most insulting thing about the whole Kap to Denver saga is Elway being an arrogant prick about it.

As someone pointed out to me, Elway was ready to give BROCK OSWEILER $16 million per year after 7 starts and a lower career QB rating than Kap, and here he is nickel and diming Kap like he's garbage.

Colin Kaepernick has done way more in this league than Osweiler has so far. Comparing their first 7 career starts isn't even on the same level.....one guy plays in a Super Bowl throwing 300 yards on 10 YPA, the other backs up a QB on his last legs who only won because his defense was lights out.

One forced an entrenched starter to be traded, the other lucked out on a dinosaur retiring.

Osweiler may well go on to be a decent QB in this league but we've yet to see any proof of that. This logic of giving him $16 per, you would have had to give Kap at least $20 if he was an FA after 2012.

Osweiler sat on the bench for a lot longer than Kap, had more weapons than him and still got displaced by a subpar QB.

If Crabtree catches just one of several passes at the end of 2012 or 2013, Kaepernick is a top 5-10 QB in this league till the end of time.

Crazy world we live in.

We agree in that I think Osweiler is stupid overrated for some reason, but things this account is leaving out:

1) The Broncos have a cap problem this year (they're 1.5 million under). There's no way a long-term extension to Oweiler would have been actually paying him anywhere close to 14.5 in year one (as Kap's contract is currently schedule to pay out).

2) Draft picks have to be a part of the cost calculation. Osweiler was just salary. Kap is salary + pick(s).

3) Osweiler is two years younger than Kap and still a bit of an unknown. You can tell yourself a story about what he'll be able to do if he's given all the starter reps and that he has more room for growth than Kap does.

4) For Osweiler Elway was competing against the Texans. He could tell himself that he was offering a better situation for a little less money, but still had to raise what he probably wanted to offer because the Texans also wanted his services.

For Kap, Elway already knows that Kap doesn't want to be on the 9ers, and he's betting that the 9ers don't want Kap either. Rather than competing with another team for Kap's services, he's just playing a game of chicken.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
NINEster":27qm8czw said:

Consider it the "Matt Flynn" rule: better to have a track record comprised of a few quarters of good play than years of inconsistency. When it comes to finding a franchise QB--the most absolutely vital thing in all football for any GM or Coach who wants to keep their job--the unknown grass on the other side of the high fence is ALWAYS greener.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Absolutely agreed.

The only way that the comparison fails (and what makes Osweiler a bizarre case IMO) is that rather than having a few quarters of good play, he had a whole half season of below average play (on what is generally believed to be a really stacked team) but still got the Matt Flynn treatment you're talking about.

Just for fun and by way of example compare player "A" and "B" (who are basically the same age):

PLAYER A IN 8 GAMES

1,197 Yards, 61.8%, 10 TDs, 6 Ints, 2.9 YPC for 61 yards.

PLAYER B IN 8 GAMES

2,031 Yards, 63.1%, 10 TDs, 6 Ints, 5.8 YPC for 185 yards.

Player "A" is Osweiler last year and Player "B" is Blaine friggin Gabbert last year.

I don't make the comparison to say Gabbert is good, I make it to say that Osweiler kinda sucks. Gabbert also did that on a dumpster fire of a team that was down to O Lineman and RBs from off the street, and Osweiler did it on a team that was ridiculously stacked.

This is the guy who's getting 18 APY and 37 mil guaranteed? I just don't see it.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
NINEster":1677k7gw said:

Crazy world we live in.

Can't agree with you here. Brock has limited reps but showed promise and it was conventional promise. He doesn't have any baggage and didn't fall apart under pressure.

Kaep is now a mystery. You don't know if he has been figured out and couldn't adjust or if Harbaugh was the only reason he was any good to begin with. Add rumors of locker room distraction and an obvious lack of leadership that looks very much like immaturity and you have high risk.

Essentially the risk with Kaep is much higher and just assuming he will suddenly become a competant pocket passer and all around team leader and good guy is a bad tactic.

Denver is hedging thier bets with Kaep and not to, would be foolish and very risky.

Marvin49

Reaction score
All I can say is that horse-face has some serious cajones on him.

Let me see if I have this straight.

We wan't you to take a 4th round value for your QB AND we want YOU to pay half his salary.

Yeah. John? Yeah. Go screw yourself. LOL.

You want him or you don't. You can pay him or you can't. The Niners shouldn't give them $$$ to take Kap away any more than Kap should accept a pay cut.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin49":2erz6h28 said:
All I can say is that horse-face has some serious cajones on him.

Let me see if I have this straight.

We wan't you to take a 4th round value for your QB AND we want YOU to pay half his salary.

Yeah. John? Yeah. Go screw yourself. LOL.

You want him or you don't. You can pay him or you can't. The Niners shouldn't give them $$$ to take Kap away any more than Kap should accept a pay cut.

I hadn't heard he wants the 9ers to pay half his salary. I didn't even think that was an option. Interesting.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
rlkats":1i7xzpuu said:
chris98251":1i7xzpuu said:

Agreed. They need to take the hit and cut him. Better for the team. He lost the team last season and there is a chance he will not be able to regain their trust. Oh well. The circus continues.

How do they cut him though? If he is only guaranteed his base while injured then once he passes a physical they could then cut him at no additional cost or more game checks.

If they cut him now it would reqiire an injury settlement and being he is unwilling to restructure his contract, how much would it take?

You also have to consider even having a discussion about a settlement at this stage could be very damaging to his value (assuming it got out they were trying to settle and you know it would get out) and probably destroying any chance of the situation working itself out.

I suspect Baalke is hoping Kaep decides to try and compete. Then he would have to pass a physical and the team would have the option then to cut him.

This really is a sticky wickett.

Kaep senses he will be cut if he passes a physical and already knows his market value elsewhere is much less, he might just say his hand didn't heal correctly and force the 9ers to pay him full base and he could even decide to retire claiming the injury has changed him. Probably unlikely but how would any doctor prove he is lying?

Baalke's hands are tied to Kaeps injurys and Kaep has to know he has one of two ways to earn his money. Either compete and win the starting job or play possum and milk his injury. If he doesn't believe he will get a fair shot to be the starter then option two becomes much more attractive.

If you were Kaep would you believe Baalke and Chip really want to give him a fair shot? You would have to believe if he was healthy and there were any question of him winning, they wouldn't bench him, they would cut him before he got another injury.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is kind of the red light for me about Kaep, if he want's out and believes in himself he signs a new deal with the Broncos incentive laden for a year and goes and gets the starter position, if he has doubts about himself then the play it safe collect his money option looks better. A elite player has no issues accepting a challenge, he could do a 4 or 5 million deal earn the spot and then get his big contract this time.

Jville

Reaction score
Colin insisted on signing that allegedly team friendly deal to take care of the 49ers. All he has to do to stay the course is collect on that team friendly contract.

It is not like the money is coming out of the pockets of anyone outside of York.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":1l86dokz said:
Colin insisted on signing that allegedly team friendly deal to take care of the 49ers. All he has to do to stay the course is collect on that team friendly contract.

It is not like the money is coming out of the pockets of anyone outside of York.

So you would stay with your ex wife or girlfriend regardless if you didn't get along because she has a pretty face?

Kind of how it is looking here. He sure isn't going to get a real chance anymore then you would have a chance at getting any in a soured situation with the little women there.

Jville

Reaction score
chris98251":13hz712a said:
Jville":13hz712a said:

So you would stay with your ex wife or girlfriend regardless if you didn't get along because she has a pretty face?

Kind of how it is looking here. He sure isn't going to get a real chance anymore then you would have a chance at getting any in a soured situation with the little women there.

Sorry, your analogy alludes me. I have no idea where your are going with that.

All I am saying is that Jed York is getting what he paid for as long as Colin stays with his existing contract.

Latest posts