Broncos and field turf.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
The Broncos haven't played on field turf since Nov. 24th.
2 of their 3 losses came on it too.

I know their WR's have used grass surfaces to get open. I've seen it all year.
It's subtle but still can make a difference when receivers don't think a defender should be where they are.

Largent80

Reaction score
I remember talking with you in 2006 at Temple about the Hawks on Grass. You were up on all the tendencies. I'm pretty sure you are spot on regarding anything to do with teams and the field.

OP
OP
TheHawkster

TheHawkster

Reaction score
When you grow up being not real fast, You learn to appreciate turf! lol

Defenders peel out often on grass. Manning abuses those defender hard cuts.

Our defense is so much better on the plastic stuff. especially with the run defense game.
Their WR's will get as much separation as they are used to.
Tipped balls go crazy places....

OP
OP
TheHawkster

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Largent80":12546gwm said:
I remember talking with you in 2006 at Temple about the Hawks on Grass. You were up on all the tendencies. I'm pretty sure you are spot on regarding anything to do with teams and the field.

lol.
The Holmy Hawks were terrible on grass.
It screwed with Hass's timing.
The defense was relatively light.

I'm glad those days are over!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
From my little experience as a semi-fast guy back in the day in high school decades ago playing football, practicing mainly on grass, and then playing our home games on AstroTurf, I was much faster on the fake stuff vs the real stuff. IMHO it's advantage for a faster team.

oasis

Reaction score
So many questions on this thread. What kind of turf do Broncos use? What kind of turf is in NY? Does the NY turf help us or hurt us? aaaaaaaaaaaaugh...'m gonna get a sandwich.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Reading between the lines, I am assuming that MetLife has field turf. But this whole thread is incredibly vague about some key information.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2c4bn8s4 said:
From my little experience as a semi-fast guy back in the day in high school decades ago playing football, practicing mainly on grass, and then playing our home games on AstroTurf, I was much faster on the fake stuff vs the real stuff. IMHO it's advantage for a faster team.

You're not kidding. The difference between the two is wearing cleats for natural grass and wearing running shoes on AstroTurf.

I remember playing in the State semi finals at the Tacoma Dome and the Finals at the Kingdome. YOu were so fast and got so much traction on AstroTurf, you had to watch yourself. Your foot would stick to that stuff and you would almost roll your ankle. We all just wore running shoes because no one could really afford the special turf cleats.

Field Turf is supposed to be more like natural grass, but I found the metal cleats worked better on grass, while the rubber cleats worked better on the Field Turf. I was faster on Field Turf, but it felt better to land on natural grass lol.

stack600

Reaction score
Small Town Player...In the Mid to Late 70s....Friday Nights on Grass..If it rained Mud...So I have only stepped on Field Turf at the C-Link. Stepped On Astro Turf at the Dome way way back. Never played on either..Just Grass. I think what was said above..Peyton looked cold, stiff and slow in N.E. in the cold. So 37 for a high and 25 low ?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I have been on this one too. Hawks are faster anyway, but on Turf? This could be huge.

oasis

Reaction score
So bottom line -- the turf situation can be helpful? (all the specifics give me a headache)

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3ejgf7rq said:

With your avatar i always picture you as a former d-lineman forced to retire due to a hernia :mrgreen:

OP
OP
TheHawkster

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Just watch games and see where, when and when players slip fall.
Manning uses the playing surface to his advantage, especially on short routes.

It's one of the most underrated factors in football that can be exploited.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Swedishhawkfan":32z3brsl said:
Sports Hernia":32z3brsl said:

With your avatar i always picture you as a former d-lineman forced to retire due to a hernia :mrgreen:
Nope, Safety, CB and TE. Retired because I wasn't that good, LOL!
Worst injurys besides the usual stuff was a sprained ankle and a concussion. Spotbilt made a real good combo grass/AstroTurf clete back then.

Latest posts