Brock Huard and Michael Bennett Twitter interaction

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete: “Sometimes, guys can’t hang with what’s expected ... and the best thing I can tell you is that they’re not here.”

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3ox93kxv said:
Seymour":3ox93kxv said:
Uncle Si":3ox93kxv said:
He still finished 6th in the league in pressures. He was still far above the league average for his position... and far above it in the 4th quarter. And you should check the teams pressure stats in his last two years when he wasnt on the field.

There is no way to know a lot of things in football. However.. its easy to see that bennetts playing level, while slightly below his mark was still far above most other players.

The team was ranked in the top 3 last year in pressuring the qb. Yet look how far they dropped without Bennett on the field.

But sure... he was "declining"...

Just call it what it was... he was shuffled on because he caused more disruption in his own locker room then the other teams backfield.

Not even sure why youd argue it

And he is the 18th highest paid DE in the league.....yet according to Mr2018 we shipped him out because of salary. :roll:

We must be the dumbest team in the league to ship off a value like that.....according to someone.

Let me know when you learn how trades affect dead money, then we can have a discussion. LOL.

Let me know when you learn that 1+1 doesn't =3 and "we'll have a discussion". :lol: :lol:

You will never admit Sherman and Bennett were team / message disruptions and that is why they were shipped off. I'm sure you'll pass this to "your friend" Hawknation2019 in 17 days so you can run and hide again. :2thumbs:

hawknation2018

Reaction score
sc85sis":by880e8q said:
Pete: “Sometimes, guys can’t hang with what’s expected ... and the best thing I can tell you is that they’re not here.”

I think he said that in direct response to hearing Bennett’s claim that he “read books during meetings,” which Carroll said didn’t happen.

Avoiding distraction was a part of the decision. But I think it’s an overblown explanation. Getting rid of aging (and injury prone) veterans was a much bigger factor.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3aei6ny6 said:
Uncle Si":3aei6ny6 said:
He still finished 6th in the league in pressures. He was still far above the league average for his position... and far above it in the 4th quarter. And you should check the teams pressure stats in his last two years when he wasnt on the field.

There is no way to know a lot of things in football. However.. its easy to see that bennetts playing level, while slightly below his mark was still far above most other players.

The team was ranked in the top 3 last year in pressuring the qb. Yet look how far they dropped without Bennett on the field.

I wouldn't say he's declining, but you have to factor in the line he's playing on now, and how deep the Eagle's D-line rotation is. Playing 60% of the snaps on their veteran D-line with guys like Ngata, Cox, Jernigan, Graham and Long is a much better situation for Bennett than here having to play 80-90% of the snaps.

There doesn't have to be a "right or wrong" trade or "who lost" with Bennett leaving. IMO it worked out well for everyone involved. We got rid of a player who needed to go, got a 5th round pick, the Eagle's got a good player and Bennett can now extend his career maybe a couple more years playing on a good line with less snaps.

If he didnt "need to go" then hed still be here. Thats the point im trying to make.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":34z1ppji said:
Sgt. Largent":34z1ppji said:
Uncle Si":34z1ppji said:

I wouldn't say he's declining, but you have to factor in the line he's playing on now, and how deep the Eagle's D-line rotation is. Playing 60% of the snaps on their veteran D-line with guys like Ngata, Cox, Jernigan, Graham and Long is a much better situation for Bennett than here having to play 80-90% of the snaps.

There doesn't have to be a "right or wrong" trade or "who lost" with Bennett leaving. IMO it worked out well for everyone involved. We got rid of a player who needed to go, got a 5th round pick, the Eagle's got a good player and Bennett can now extend his career maybe a couple more years playing on a good line with less snaps.

If he didnt "need to go" then hed still be here. Thats the point im trying to make.

That's why I said
We got rid of a player who needed to go

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":1tazy6wd said:
hawknation2018":1tazy6wd said:
Seymour":1tazy6wd said:
Uncle Si":1tazy6wd said:

Just call it what it was... he was shuffled on because he caused more disruption in his own locker room then the other teams backfield.

Not even sure why youd argue it

And he is the 18th highest paid DE in the league.....yet according to Mr2018 we shipped him out because of salary. :roll:

We must be the dumbest team in the league to ship off a value like that.....according to someone.

Let me know when you learn how trades affect dead money, then we can have a discussion. LOL.

Let me know when you learn that 1+1 doesn't =3 and "we'll have a discussion". :lol: :lol:

You will never admit Sherman and Bennett were team / message disruptions and that is why they were shipped off. I'm sure you'll pass this to "your friend" Hawknation2019 in 17 days so you can run and hide again. :2thumbs:

If I ever said “1+1=3,” I would be willing to admit I was wrong. That’s what an adult man should be willing to do.

I don’t think we can have a rational discussion when you are incapable of acknowledging your basic factual errors.

A happy New Year to you too. :D

Seymour

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2g6cggkw said:
Seymour":2g6cggkw said:
hawknation2018":2g6cggkw said:
Seymour":2g6cggkw said:

If I ever said “1+1=3,” I would be willing to admit I was wrong. That’s what an adult man should be willing to do.

I don’t think we can have a rational discussion when you are incapable of acknowledging your basic factual errors.

Ohh good god...pot to kettle!!!

That is the entire issue between you and I and you know it! You NEVER would admit Tom Cable was the problem with our oline no matter how much info I fed you and showed case after case of evidence that he just plain sucked.

To this day you never admitted to being wrong about Tom Cable. :177692: :pukeface:

pot-kettle-black.jpg

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":1wzpdbvr said:
hawknation2018":1wzpdbvr said:
Seymour":1wzpdbvr said:
hawknation2018":1wzpdbvr said:

Ohh good god...pot to kettle!!!

That is the entire issue between you and I and you know it! You NEVER would admit Tom Cable was the problem with our oline no matter how much info I fed you and showed case after case of evidence that he just plain sucked.

To this day you never admitted to being wrong about Tom Cable. :177692: :pukeface:

pot-kettle-black.jpg

I’m willing to admit that Cable was horrible. And I was very happy that Cable and Bevell were replaced. I thought it would have been a horrible outcome if Cable was fired but not the OC.

kobebryant

Reaction score
The team is 8-5, young and playing really well.

I don't think the media needs to be saying anything negative about guys who are no longer here and helped deliver the teams first championship with their great play. There was a radio segment this morning where they were still going at former players even though it's been almost a whole season now and there is so much to say about the current guys.

It just seems cowardly to speak about former players when there is no risk of them confronting you while they are in other cities. It isn't like these players forced their way out: Mike (traded), Sherm (released), ET (IR), Cliff and Kam (career ending neck trauma). Very low from the media.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":an0nkqqp said:
Uncle Si":an0nkqqp said:
Sgt. Largent":an0nkqqp said:
Uncle Si":an0nkqqp said:

That's why I said
We got rid of a player who needed to go

Lets go get a beer...

kidhawk

Reaction score
Guys,

Let's get back on topic. This thread is about Bennett and Huard not Cable, Bevell or anything else. No need to tear up one thread to argue about off topic subjects.

Seymour

Reaction score
Rodger that Kid.....

Way to go Brock!.....you go girl!! :lol:

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":196t3khe said:
toffee":196t3khe said:
hawknation2018":196t3khe said:
I think there is too much bashing of former players. Bennett was great when he was here. Helped the Seahawks win a Super Bowl. He got traded for practically nothing and made a stupid comment after the fact about not paying attention during team meetings. We had an amazing defense when Bennett was here and healthy. The defense would be better today if they had the cap space to afford Bennett and knew he would stay healthy.

Groupthink often becomes an echo chamber of ignorance.

I respectfully disagree with you hawnation2018. Here's why:

1. There should be no doubt that Hawks 2017 had way better players than Hawks 2018 on the defense side.

2. Compare the result of defense Hawk '17 vs Hawk '18? The set back was way smaller than the depleted roster would suggest. We are #6 in points allowed per game up to this point at 20.5/game; 2017? We were #13 at 20.8/game.

3. Ummm... but the stars, Bennett etc. did put up good stat in '17, even now in '18 with their new teams, so why didn't the team defense benefit from their individual effort in 2017? or why their absence are so invisible in Hawk defense '18?

In the end, football as we know it still is a team sport. when stars aka locker room leaders are being negative and destructive in the locker room, the whole unit suffered as they couldn't function as a team, this is after all not tennis. Let's be honest, Tre Flowers '18 is no way better than Sherm, Earl is way superior than Tedric, Sheldon Richardson vs Shamar Stephen? Bimmer vs Hyundai? No one can argue Green/Dion is anywhere close to Bennett or Avril, may be one day in the future but not now. But hey when Flowers, Tredic, of the world bought into a system, being hungry and played as team, they may not excel, but very serviceable, and with upsides. Needless to say, aging stars had no upsides, aging team spirit destroying stars were must trades.

Even as a Pete Carroll homer, I think it's fair to question why Pete lost the heart of all the stars that he picked, molded, and nourished. I am hoping Pete learned from the past mistakes and not let that repeat on the current youngsters.

You make some good points. However, I think the main issues in 2017 were the massive number of injuries to our aging defensive veterans.

Cliff Avril played his last game in October last year. Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman were done in November. Dion Jordan missed the first eight weeks of the season. Earl Thomas missed games due to injury. Bennett was playing through injury and his pressure rate plummeted. Even Bobby Wagner, who was having a great year, was hurt at the end of last season, which contributed in a huge way to the debacle against the Rams.

This season, the playing calling and run game have helped take some pressure off the defense. Last year, we were heavily reliant on the passing game, and there were a number of quick three-and-outs. Ken Norton, Jr. has been a positive factor this year. We had an off-season to prepare and account for some of those personnel losses. Last year, they allowed 20.8 points per game. This year, it is 20.5.

I think the defense would be even better with Michael Bennett, who happens to be healthy. But there was no way to know that a 33 year old coming off an injury-plagued season was going to have a bounce back year.

Agree with you, our defense in:
Hawks '16: #3 18.3/game, our current 20.5/game would translate into #12 Eagle of '16.
Hawks '15: #1 17.3/game, our current 20.5/game would mean #13 Rams of '15

Make no mistake, our youngsters are not dominating as we were back in our hey days, but I like our chances to improve in coming seasons.

Just for fun, defense in regular season of superbowl champs for last few years:
'17 Eagles #4, 18.4/game; Patriots #5, 18.5/game
'16 Patriots #1, 15.6/game; Falcons #27, 25.4/game (we were #3)
'15 Bronco #4, 18.5/game; Panthers #6, 19.3/game
'14 Patriots #8, 19.6/game; we were #1, 15.9/game (f**k them)
'13 Hawks #1, 14.4/game; Denver #22, 24.9/game
'12 Ravens #12, 21.5/game; 49ers #2 17.1/game
'11 Giants #24, 25/game; Patriots #15, 21.4/game

Our current 20.5 isn't really ready for prime time, yet.

warden

Reaction score
After all the players no longer here from last year, this years team is going to have a better record than last years team. Kind of tells me that there were players who were no longer buying in. Time for a change

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2dbo1cfz said:
Seymour":2dbo1cfz said:
hawknation2018":2dbo1cfz said:
There are now three possibilities for Seymour:

1. Admit he was factually incorrect because he didn’t understand how trades affect dead money. Seems like the sensible thing to do.

2. Continue to double down and refuse to comprehend this new information, making any rational conversation impossible since we can’t agree on objective reality.

3. Run and hide. :2thumbs:

This was the basis of the disagreement, why he was shipped out.

From the very article you posted...... :roll:
Based on those figures, it seems more likely that the Seahawks would cut him in 2019 or 2020. It's not like he's suddenly turned into a horrible player. He's still good, if not dominant, and he still adds value to the team

Exactly what I said. You cannot find that talent for what they would have paid to keep him.

Back to the facts. Fact: Bennett was a cancer and was shipped out.

Not because of Mr 2018 reason....salary
Not because of Mr 2018 reason....age
Not because of Mr 2018 reason....injuries

He went with Option 2. :lol:
No he didn't; he created Option 4: Pretend it never happened.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2oz60niq said:
DomeHawk":2oz60niq said:
Unnecessary on both of their parts.

Brock's a jock on the radio, he's entitled to his opinions.

In fact, I love ex players that aren't afraid to criticize and give their opinions. I love Cliff Avril, but he's too safe on the radio because he never wants to say anything negative about his buddies.

So good for Brock.
This is why I have a difficult time listening to Seattle sportsradio. A bunch of clowns and dorks looking for attention to fill 3 hours of dead air. They’d rather “take the easy way out” and start these spats with players to get attention.

While Brock’s mistake here wasn’t as egregious as Jim Moore’s Sherm incident, you as a sportsradio host, lose ALL credibility in my eyes when YOU CHOOSE to become part of the story. As a former player (albeit not a good one in the NFL) Brock knows better! He sure as shit wouldn’t have the balls to say this in a sit down interview with MB.

Brock would be best to stay off Twitter and concentrate on his preachy little religious sports show on Sunday mornings and stick to being a commentator on college games.

And for the record, I had ZERO problems with the Hawks trading MB away, he’d run his course here.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
warden":18bdxia6 said:
After all the players no longer here from last year, this years team is going to have a better record than last years team. Kind of tells me that there were players who were no longer buying in. Time for a change
There is some truth in your last sentence. I didnt like some of the moves at first, but really liked the Hawks draft as Ive stated numerous times. Too bad the local sportsradio clowns can’t move on though, as they are desperate to have a boogey man!