Brock and Danny - Pete coming on in a few minutes

amill87

Reaction score
kidhawk":3zfbk9jx said:
I was glad that he explained that 3rd and 1 where Wilson had an easy first down scrambling and ended up throwing a difficult pass to Baldwin that wasn't caught and ended up having to punt. For those who didn't listen, basically, an official on the field had originally signaled 1st down after the 2nd down play and that Lynch and Wilson both saw that. They then huddled up, called the play, but never noticed the official quickly reversing his call and saying it was 3rd and short. When Wilson scrambled out, in his mind it was 1st and 10, therefor he didn't want to just run for a yard when he could throw for 10 yards.

I was furious with Wilson on that play. But at least we know why and he wasn't just being greedy.

Knowing what we know about Wilson, I guarantee he will never make that mistake again.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2hmx6ixx said:
Do you guys actually think its unreasonable to hope/expect that a team that is hugely struggling on offense would at least attempt to get something out of a second round pick who has demonstrated tremendous explosive playmaking ability as recently as the preseason? You really think I am out of line thinking that a playmaker like Michael could possibly help this offense right now if given a few touches here and there?

If he's not good in pass pro, give him a handoff. Call a screen pass for him. I don't think anyone on here has ever suggested he replace Lynch and be the every-down running back.

Are you saying that Lynch doesn't have playmaking ability? It's not like we don't have one of the top rushers in the league already. You aren't adding that much to the offense by swapping Lynch for Michael, but you are risking the health and safety of our franchise qb. I think the risk reward is extremely unfavorable until he gets better at pass protection.

getnasty

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":lx9f9t22 said:
Do you guys actually think its unreasonable to hope/expect that a team that is hugely struggling on offense would at least attempt to get something out of a second round pick who has demonstrated tremendous explosive playmaking ability as recently as the preseason? You really think I am out of line thinking that a playmaker like Michael could possibly help this offense right now if given a few touches here and there?

If he's not good in pass pro, give him a handoff. Call a screen pass for him. I don't think anyone on here has ever suggested he replace Lynch and be the every-down running back.

I don't think anyone is saying your wrong other then the guy who makes that decision. I for one would love to see CM, our offense doesn't have a big play guy like him, unfortunately he has flaws in his game right now that Pete doesn't feel comfortable with on the field.

kidhawk

Reaction score
amill87":18bsepri said:
kidhawk":18bsepri said:
I was glad that he explained that 3rd and 1 where Wilson had an easy first down scrambling and ended up throwing a difficult pass to Baldwin that wasn't caught and ended up having to punt. For those who didn't listen, basically, an official on the field had originally signaled 1st down after the 2nd down play and that Lynch and Wilson both saw that. They then huddled up, called the play, but never noticed the official quickly reversing his call and saying it was 3rd and short. When Wilson scrambled out, in his mind it was 1st and 10, therefor he didn't want to just run for a yard when he could throw for 10 yards.

I was furious with Wilson on that play. But at least we know why and he wasn't just being greedy.

Knowing what we know about Wilson, I guarantee he will never make that mistake again.

Same here, although I wouldn't say I was furious, but I did see it as a huge blunder on his part. I continue to have faith in him though, because he does seem to learn from his mistakes and doesn't tend to repeat them too often, so it's easier to get past these transgressions. It's also easier to get past them when they get a good explanation like this after the fact. It is an emotional game though, and it is understandable that people would question it in the moment, not knowing all the facts

hoxrox

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":30utcvjq said:
Russell was in studying at the facility at 4am per Pete watching film and making adjustments.

After 30+ starts, everyone will have a clunker at somepoint.

He's hasn't been himself ever since the MVPs chants started after the Saints game. He has looked tired and burned out.

Love his work ethic but if I were his coach I would tell him to take a break, enjoy the holidays and come back refreshed and recharged.

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
kidhawk":3tqwngnt said:

Was this more on Russell and Lynch or the officials, it sounds to me like the officials changed the call after their initial decision?

I didn't see the game mind you.

jdblack

Reaction score
amill87":1q6kctur said:

I guarantee he WILL make that "mistake" again if there are enough times where the refs tell him it's 1st down when it's really 3rd.

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Oh God, someone just called in and compared Russell Wilson to Kaepernick... stop.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
kidhawk":36wjcaeh said:
Missing_Clink":36wjcaeh said:

Are you saying that Lynch doesn't have playmaking ability? It's not like we don't have one of the top rushers in the league already. You aren't adding that much to the offense by swapping Lynch for Michael, but you are risking the health and safety of our franchise qb. I think the risk reward is extremely unfavorable until he gets better at pass protection.

No I'm not suggesting Lynch does not have playmaking ability. That is why I said Lynch should not be replaced as the every-down back (though I should have said primary back). Obviously Lynch is great, even if he's been struggling a bit lately. Lynch doesn't need to play every single snap though. Michael could be a great change of pace back. Bring him in and get him 3-5 touches a game. Find ways to get the ball in his hands. It is possible to call plays in which Wilson will not be put at risk because of Michael's blocking deficiencies. I will tell you one thing: I absolutely believe Michael is more likely to take a screen pass 75 yards for a score than Lynch is. He is a different type of athlete.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Did anyone ask Pete if Robert Turbin is ever ever ever ever going to return kicks ever ever again? (Hopefully with a horrified-sounding voice...)

2_0_6

Reaction score
hoxrox":3ul536jn said:
Hawk_Nation":3ul536jn said:
Russell was in studying at the facility at 4am per Pete watching film and making adjustments.

After 30+ starts, everyone will have a clunker at somepoint.

He's hasn't been himself ever since the MVPs chants started after the Saints game. He has looked tired and burned out.

Love his work ethic but if I were his coach I would tell him to take a break, enjoy the holidays and come back refreshed and recharged.

He could go to Cabo like Romo did a few years ago I guess. lol

kidhawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":aiczrond said:
kidhawk":aiczrond said:
Missing_Clink":aiczrond said:

No I'm not suggesting Lynch does not have playmaking ability. That is why I said Lynch should not be replaced as the every-down back (though I should have said primary back). Obviously Lynch is great, even if he's been struggling a bit lately. Lynch doesn't need to play every single snap though. Michael could be a great change of pace back. Bring him in and get him 3-5 touches a game. Find ways to get the ball in his hands. It is possible to call plays in which Wilson will not be put at risk because of Michael's blocking deficiencies. I will tell you one thing: I absolutely believe Michael is more likely to take a screen pass 75 yards for a score than Lynch is. He is a different type of athlete.

Other teams know a player's weakness and can see a team's tendencies and if you only put Michael in for certain types of plays or you know he is poor at pass protection, then teams would easily scheme it to limit any impact he may have. This is the NFL, teams eat up weakness like that for breakfast. It's just not worth the extra risk to Wilson. I'd rather lose a game (or 3) with Michael learning on the bench than win one extra and lose Wilson to a season ending blind side sack

Anthony!

Reaction score
amill87":330zlsnz said:
kidhawk":330zlsnz said:

Pee was right, I was at the game, and the ref did say 1st down and changed it.

getnasty

Reaction score
People complaining about calls is getting really old.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The calls sucked, but the Hawks sucked worse. Plain and simple, they flat out got beat by the better team on that day.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
kidhawk":2cp062s3 said:
Other teams know a player's weakness and can see a team's tendencies and if you only put Michael in for certain types of plays or you know he is poor at pass protection, then teams would easily scheme it to limit any impact he may have. This is the NFL, teams eat up weakness like that for breakfast. It's just not worth the extra risk to Wilson. I'd rather lose a game (or 3) with Michael learning on the bench than win one extra and lose Wilson to a season ending blind side sack

Normally I would say that an offensive coaching staff should be able to figure out a few ways to get a player like Michael the ball, without calling on him to pass block. I would even think that some of these plays would work, despite defenses being aware that he is not a great pass blocker. I will say though, after yesterday it is clear that creative playcalling is not a strong suit of this team right now. So asking them to find a way to get a playmaker like Michael on the field like I am doing is probably just asking too much of these coaches.

plyka

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":35zjf6xd said:

I agree. If he is not good in protection, then you don't want him out there on 20-30 plays, but put him out there on a random play here or there --a run, a quick pass, a screen, etc. It MAY tip your hand after a length of time --if he comes out there 20 times and all 20 are either runs or quick passes, it may give something away to the defense. But at first it should not give away the playcalling at all.

Not to mention coaches are not infallible. It's possible he steps up on the field, like so many others have. Let's remember that Lynch was a bust before he came to Seattle, Arian Foster was an undrafted free agent, Doug Baldwin was an undrafted free agent, Sherman/Maxwell/Lane/Browner are all late draft picks or off the street. It's possible that Christine steps on the field and blows up and provides that threat that is currently missing due to Percy being out.

kidhawk

Reaction score
plyka":1chnshkz said:
Missing_Clink":1chnshkz said:

I agree. If he is not good in protection, then you don't want him out there on 20-30 plays, but put him out there on a random play here or there --a run, a quick pass, a screen, etc. It MAY tip your hand after a length of time --if he comes out there 20 times and all 20 are either runs or quick passes, it may give something away to the defense. But at first it should not give away the playcalling at all.

Not to mention coaches are not infallible. It's possible he steps up on the field, like so many others have. Let's remember that Lynch was a bust before he came to Seattle, Arian Foster was an undrafted free agent, Doug Baldwin was an undrafted free agent, Sherman/Maxwell/Lane/Browner are all late draft picks or off the street. It's possible that Christine steps on the field and blows up and provides that threat that is currently missing due to Percy being out.

If you are arguing that Michael SHOULD play, then why are you making the prime argument against yourself? Every player you listed was selected, evaluated and coached by our coaching staff to play at the level they are, this same exact staff is coaching and evaluating Michael. If he was so ready to play, they'd play him. If we had better pass protection without using the backs, we might play him either way, but anyone who watches our pass protection has already got to know that we need all the help we can get in that department and that making that any weaker than it is now will not bode well for our offense.

amill87

Reaction score
Anthony!":3p9qwgr7 said:
Pee was right, I was at the game, and the ref did say 1st down and changed it.

jdblack":3p9qwgr7 said:
I guarantee he WILL make that "mistake" again if there are enough times where the refs tell him it's 1st down when it's really 3rd.

All Wilson and Lynch had to do was look at the scoreboard or the sideline markers. I would lean towards the side that they will be checking those a bit more closely in the future

formido

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2ia0xh1f said:

Not out of line at all. Michael is too good not to get a few reps and see how it affects the offense. The offense moved too well in the preseason with him in, including against first string defense, to not at least experiment with it. Our running game has looked bad and the risk/reward profile has changed. It's losing us games right now.