Breaking down the Arizon game going into the Rams

Shock2k

Reaction score
So I decided to do some research as to the state of the Seahawks going into this St. Louis game and see where it would take me. I had a lot of questions about the team starting with:

What’s up with the passing game?
Suddenly we can’t move the ball down the field. I mean Arizona by DVOA is the best defense in the NFL, but their pass defense is not as good as their run defense… Looking at some stats:

Seahawks Passing Stats2013RankLast 3Rank
Pass Play %48%31st54%22nd
Yards Per Pass7.83rd5.925th
Pass First Down %53%N/A63%N/A
Incompletions Per Game9.71st11.710th

Well here we have a 6% increase in passing with a -2 yards per play drop in per pass and a +2 to incompletions per game. The 10% increase in passing first downs over the last three games is also interesting. If I take the emotion out of it, what does all this all tell me. There must be something wrong in the run game.

But before we determine that:
Why hasn't an increase in passing turned up the same increase in passing production?

Well from my position it’s because of a stat I’ve been concerned with all year. Offensive line pass protection. Which has been downright poor all year. Both Russell Wilson and Ryan Tannehill have dealt with really poor offensive line play in pass protection. I feel like with a couple more lucky breaks Tannehill’s way, or less Breaks Russell’s way, they have had a pretty similar season.

QB Sack Rates %(Passing)2013RankLast 3RankWeek 16HomeAway
Russell Wilson9.15%30th10.99%28th12.90%7.11%10.83%
Ryan Tannehill9.48%32nd17.40%29th17.50%9.61%9.37%

30th in the league is just not getting it done. This gets real pronounced when playing really good defenses like the 49ers and Arizona. Take some of the best pass rushes in the League (SF, AZ and Rams) and put them up against the 30th worst pass blocking in the league and you will have some tough games.

The 10.83% away game percentage makes sense, since this was when we were missing a lot of offensive line pieces through a bunch of tough road games. But we had everyone back against Arizona and Russell was sacked almost 13% of time on passing plays. This is even more pronounced when you add in, as stated above, a marked increase in pass incompletions (dropped passes) while making 10 more passing attempts a game. This may be a reason that game was such a shocker. Or should it have been a shocker?

The only reason the Seahawks aren’t the number one worst pass protecting team, is because Russell Wilson avoids a lot of sacks by shifting, rushing and scrambling away from them.

With that said, what was the problem with passing in Arizona?
- We have a QB in trouble folks, and playing these tough defensive lines is exposing where our problems. The difference here is we no longer are threating read options to slow the opposing pass defenses down. (I make an argument for this further down)
- Our receivers didn't make receptions they usually make.

Solution: Either the O-Line figures something out in a week (which they haven’t done in 2 years, last year we were the 26th worst pass protecting o-line) or the receivers catch the ball.

Solution (If only): If only we could “scheme” but let’s be honest, they couldn’t scheme the Carolina, 49ers, or Arizona games, so it’s not a reliable option.

This still doesn’t explain what has happened to our run game right?

Seahawks Rushing Stats2013RankLast 3Rank
Attempts per Game31.53rd25.717th
YardsPerRush4.411th4.216th
Rushing Yards/Game138.54th107.720th

With the uptick in the passing game the running game has seen a downturn in attempts of course. And .2 yards per rush downtick doesn’t seem like much, but I feel that is a little skewed with Russell Wilson averaging 16 yards a rush. For me the run game seems like 3 big runs a game and everything else is in the 1 to 3 yards arena.

Then you look at yards a game. We’ve gone from a Season 4th to 20th in the last three games. So add a major downturn in rushing production, which we try to compensate for by attempting more passes (or forced to pass more, or game plan to pass more) and suddenly we are not the same offense. The Seahawks aren’t used to playing that style of offense.

I think the problem is even more pronounced that we have abandoned the read option. It’s taken away that half a second of hesitation by these aggressive defenses, embolden them to pressure even more, and put even more pressure on an offensive line that is already struggling.

The read option argument is a little fantastical, but look at the difference between the New Orleans game and the Arizona game. Two very similar defenses and the same Scheme’s for their away Seattle games, but two very different results. Don’t believe me? Check this out.

Team Defense (Last 3)NewOrleansRankArizonaRank
Sack% Against Opponents10.59%3rd8.94%6th
Passing Yards/Game Allowed136.72nd230.315th
Rushing Yards/Game Allowed114.114th89.76th

You want to bet that when Seattle was game planning for Arizona they thought, well I’m going to attempt to expose the 15th worst pass defense instead of trying to expose the 6th ranked rush defense. Did you know that Arizona is 30th at allowing 1rst downs on pass plays. Almost the worst in the NFL! Heck it’s the game plan I would have come up with.

Again, I would say this helps my conclusion, the problem is with the offensive line.

Solution: What was working last year (and in New Orleans) was the read option helping the offensive line. Take it away and the results are bad against good pass rush teams. I think the Hawks are costing themselves games by not letting Russell Wilson burn people on the ground.
You may think you are saving him, but he’s one of the most hurried and hit QB’s in the league. So you aren’t helping him out. When Seattle was best was when Wilson would just keep burning teams, not for even the 16 yard plays, I’m talking the 5 yard plays where he would end in a QB slide. To me that will make the difference between having a New Orleans day or an Arizona day until the line gets better, or the line coaching/scheme gets better.

Oh and if your argument is still that our O-line is great because of how many yards we put up the last two seasons, I would counter with that’s a product of attempts.

Payton Manning has the #1 pass protection in the league, and even though Denver makes the second most pass attempts in the league, they have the 11th best rushing offense in the league. (You ever wonder how Tim Tebow got to the playoffs). Good lines make OK quarterbacks look great, and great quarterbacks legends. They of course can have the opposite effect.

Of all the teams in the NFL, I like the Seahawks Secondary against Denver receiving. But our Defensive pass rush against the #1 offensive line in the league…. I just don’t know. But I digress.

What does this tell me about the Rams Game?
Oh and as for St. Louis. You better not get your hopes up if we come in with the same game plan. St Louis and Arizona are almost exactly the same teams statistically. (Though edge to Patrick Peterson and the Arizona Secondary, but not the edge to the St. Louis pass rush).

Cards/Rams Defense (Last 3)RamsArizona
Sack % Against Opponents9.52%4th8.94%6th
Passing Yards/Game Allowed24824th230.315th
Rushing Yards/Game Allowed75.74th89.76th

If that’s not sobering to you it should be. You think we are going into the Rams game with the same gameplan and not getting the same treatment as Arizona. You think we are going to get 4 interceptions to balance things out?

Coaching (O-line, Gameplan) is going to have to make a significant shift. Read Options, Wide Receiver Screens, Full back options. I’m talking West coast, quick pass, dink and dunk. There is a reasonable possibility that we could get blown out. Turn two of those interceptions Against Arizona in the end zone into touchdowns and we lost 32 to 10. (Ask the 2012 Bears about relying on Turnover differential in winning a championship),

Sorry, I meant for this to be a hopeful post, I didn’t realize what we were actually facing on Sunday. Then again, what the hell do I know!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
That is one of the things I was kinda looking at from a non statistical perspective. We tried the run too much to make play option pass. Some times ya have to reverse it to make the other half work. With a third back (RW) in the backfield, they have to game play for it. Saving him now is not gonna work if they want to go to the playoffs with home field in their eyes. Short runs as you said with slides is a great idea. We still have the potential and will win tho. Go HAWKS.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":rtjgngam said:
That is one of the things I was kinda looking at from a non statistical perspective. We tried the run too much to make play option pass. Some times ya have to reverse it to make the other half work. With a third back (RW) in the backfield, they have to game play for it. Saving him now is not gonna work if they want to go to the playoffs with home field in their eyes. Short runs as you said with slides is a great idea. We still have the potential and will win tho. Go HAWKS.

This made me wonder what the big difference was between last years home game against Arizona vs this year.

Seahawks v. Cardinals @HomeScoreC/ATTYDSRush/AttRush/YdsTDINTSacksQBR
2012 - Russell Wilson StatsW-58-07/1314831211139.1
2013 – Russell Wilson StatsL-17-1011/2710823211449.6

Pretty identical numbers for Wilson in both games. The big difference was the team ran for 284 yards in that game. (Yes we were up against John Skelton, but he had a better game then Carson Palmer).

Seahawks v. Rams @Home(2012)ATTYardsTDINTSacksQBR
Russell Wilson15/19250106136.3
Marshawn Lynch181001N/AN/AN/A

After Russell had that bad game against Arizona he had gone on a tear against the Bills, 49ers and this game at St Louis. So I'm feeling a little less freaked out by this game. I have to remember that this isn't the old Seahawks. The is the new Seahawks.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
The assumptive here though is that the Oline was God awful with pass protection, but from Pete on down it was noted as quite decent.
And disagree on pushing our run game (where the Oline really failed imo). We did not push our run game, it was nearly abandoned last Sunday. I feel it was crucial, get Marshawn swinging outside and pound it. Quick slants were few and far between.

I don't wanna hear too much about our WRs getting separation either. Our QB had an awful day...and I think he seeks retribution this Sunday (he will get the ball out and he will use his rushing threat). We still always win and lose as a team though (just breaking down the details).

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
Technically from a Sack percentage perspective we can conclude it was not only a bad performance but worse then their season average (which is 30th in the league in pass protection). I agree with attempting to push the run game. Ever since Tampa bay stacked the box on us and came out ahead 21 points in the first half, other teams have been trying it. Heck it's been pretty effective the past 3 weeks.

I agree, I haven't seen Russell have 2 bad past the first half of last season. No doubt the team will come together and get their ducks in a row.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Thanks for the informative post Shock, I enjoyed reading it!

Latest posts