Bill Barnwell - "it was a truly dismal officiating effort"

coltsfan1405

Reaction score
I'm not gonna complain but you guys were all over our receivers all day just because we got a few calls all of you are calling "bloody murder" when we lost to the dolphins I was doing the same thing blaming the refs but then I just realized we had played the lesser game and got over it hope you guys do the same have a lot of respect for your team

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
coltsfan1405":23lbsg1y said:
I'm not gonna complain but you guys were all over our receivers all day just because we got a few calls all of you are calling "bloody murder" when we lost to the dolphins I was doing the same thing blaming the refs but then I just realized we had played the lesser game and got over it hope you guys do the same have a lot of respect for your team

Most of the rational people aren't blaming the refs for our loss. Yes our defense gave up points and our offense couldn't swap their FG's for TD's, we know that, we lost. But you can't blame people for being unhappy with the outcome when the ref definitely made some questionable officiating calls that benefited one team more than the other to the point where it starts affecting the outcome.

Maybe our db's were physical and on your recievers, maybe you guys held our dline, maybe we held your dline, idk, but imo, there's a much bigger difference in impact between when a call is made that is very questionable and directly affects the game than a no call that might be borderline. No one is excusing our play or taking away from your win, but the officiating effort was definitely questionable.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Settling for a bunch of FG's, the main reason we lost. Can't do that on the road.
The Hawks lost, the Colts made the plays they needed to. Blaming the refs or claiming a team only won because of calls reminds me too much of a team we all hate (don't want to sat the N word). I'd like to think that our fanbase is above that.
Although this was truly one of the worse officiated games they have ever played, almost XL bad, etc. But still not the reason they lost. I prefer to have a team that actually gives credit to the other team when they lose a game.

coltsfan1405

Reaction score
the officiating always looks worse when you lose, im sure if you guys won none of this talk of bad officiating would be present.....

volsunghawk

Reaction score
coltsfan1405":261u1rpv said:
the officiating always looks worse when you lose, im sure if you guys won none of this talk of bad officiating would be present.....

Given the Seahawks history with officiating, our fanbase generally notes it regardless of the outcome.

With that said, while the bulk of the questionable calls went Indy's way on Sunday, it doesn't really matter. Fans should realize that officials will ALWAYS make mistakes, and that players are aware of it. The key is to play well enough that the officiating doesn't affect the outcome. Seattle played well in stretches against the Colts, but they were bad on 3rd down on both sides of the ball. Indy was better on 3rd down. That's the primary reason for the outcome.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Coltsfan, go look through threads on this forum from losses last year, and note the distinct lack of blaming officials in them. Then re-read what Barnwell wrote about it, and admit the officials screwed us in key ways several times. We're not just blaming the officials for losing; we didn't execute well on offense, defense, OR special teams; but again, we did enough to win that game almost certainly with fair officiating. That's all I'm saying.

coltsfan1405

Reaction score
Instead of blaming the refs blame your DB's for being all over our receivers all game. the just happened to call it on opportune times.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
hawker84":35rgrv4z said:
HawkFan72":35rgrv4z said:
I know there were calls against both teams, so I'm not going to say the officiating was the reason we lost.

But the officiating was TERRIBLE and these refs were an embarrassment to their profession. Calls against both teams were awful.

What bad calls went against INDY? not questioning you here, i honestly don't remember any.....

The hit on Luck's head was the big one, but there were a few times I saw PI on our defenders that were not called as well.

These refs were just terrible. They were calling penalties that were not there, and ignoring the penalties that were.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
coltsfan1405":3tojuiic said:
Instead of blaming the refs blame your DB's for being all over our receivers all game. the just happened to call it on opportune times.
Shut up and get out of here already. Also, read the NFL rule book before you claim to understand under what circumstances PI is even supposed to be called, or what makes an action PI in the first place. I guarantee you that you will be enlightened by it.

coltsfan1405

Reaction score
Pretty sure pushing and grabbing while ball is in the air is considered PI so thanks but I know football maybe you dont

mikeak

Reaction score
I can live with the missed PI calls on our last drive because missing calls is part of football. That is why Clemons doesn't get flagged because they missed it.

I can even live with the Sherman PI - my big issue with that and not calling them on Indy was the fact that they point to big inconsistencies. Either call them or don't call them. To let the teams "play it out" when Seahawks are driving to win but not on Indy when they are trying to win just because the one happened to be the last drive of the game makes no sense.

What makes absolutely no sense and should lead to a downgrade for the crew is 1) 12 men on the field (which I am pretty certain is reviewable) and 2) The PI on Tate. ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS???? That was a defender putthing his hand on Tate, Tate removing it if anything and no other contact. That cannot be called - it did not exist. If that was called the same ref should have called PI on every single play of the game.

Look if Tate touched him but didn't push if there was something I would have said - stupid bad call but whatever happens. Just like I am doing with the Sherman PI calls.

When refs make up calls that aren't there it makes me annoyed. Like SD losing because of a "roughing the center" on a FG where the guy went over the player to the side - HORRIBLE calls that just aren't there, can't be made and should lead to suspensions of the crews

jdblack

Reaction score
coltsfan1405":33sllwq9 said:

Poor play in general by our dbs HAS been discussed. What forum are you reading? It is possible for multiple factors to contribute to a loss, and it's dumb to expect every thread that discusses one of the factors to discuss every factor.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":uspexk7d said:
The only issue I had with the calls was the inconsistency. The flags always coming out in bail out fashion. I would have preferred they called PI on 2nd down too. At the very least, the secondary would have the opportunity to adjust to how the game would be called. Instead of assuming tight play would be allowed as it had been on earlier downs.

Man, this is it exactly! The plays they allow on 1st and 2nd down are suddenly penalties when the ball would have changed possession?

I have a theory that the refs have their personal favorite storylines and will make calls in favor of "their team" early which can be a momentum changer, then even them up in the 2nd half. By then either the momentum has changed or it hasn't but they can always claim "it was called evenly."

Veilside

Reaction score
coltsfan1405":2f8kftoe said:
Pretty sure pushing and grabbing while ball is in the air is considered PI so thanks but I know football maybe you dont

He's not joking coltsfan. There really is a very enlightening post about what is officially considered PI that I found to be very informative. I thought the same way as you before I read it so I don't blame you for thinking how you are. Maybe if I can find it I will re-post it in here for you.

coltsfan1405

Reaction score
you cant be hugging my receiver that's all I know and your db's were doing it regularly

coltsfan1405

Reaction score
but I don't want to sound sour, It was a great game and I just hate for it to be tarnished by people calling bush league on the referees best game I've watched in a while and surely a sign of things to come for both teams who have bright futures

coltsfan1405

Reaction score
You guys talking about reggie wayne using stickem is a joke, and the reason I came and I've just gotten caught up in the talk about my team sorry