Bevell!

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Bevell can take the blame for oline and drops etc. He's not good at adjusting. Even if we still lost all of those games, but still tried running or wide out short pass or over the middle dump passes, at least we would have adjusted for a weakness. Bombs on 3 and 4 are not tricky.

It's almost that we emphasize the run when Rawls starts and abandon it when lynch does.

Either ml is really hurt or DB really dislikes Beasts mom.

I love watching lots of runs in 1 half to see lots of tired and bruised d in half 2.

Last year we were following a stat of how many teams lost the weak after playing Sea and we waxed how it was playing us took its toll. This year, especially after watching the panthers grind 80yrd 8 minute drives, the tables are turned.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think that was good game for Bevell he helped Wilson get the ball out his hands. The solid running game however made it easier for him to call short passing plays.

Sadly though he still hasn't learned to use Grahams size mismatch with any effectiveness.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3dg0q7an said:
Some of you can't be pleased. sigh.

Bevell cannot choose the opponent. But he can call good situational football. Yesterday he made the game a lot less about tricking the defense and a lot more about getting the ball into the hands of playmakers.

There's room for optimism. Bevell has featured more quick passing stuff in the gameplan ever since the Dallas game, and it's helped Russell in certain situations.

Scotte, what would you like to see Bevell do in situations where the defense takes us out of our schedule (which is their job anyway)? Seems like every time they do, Bevell trots out his terrible 3rd down passing concepts and we punt.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It pains me to have to give Bevell credit but he deserves some for yesterday's play calling.

timmat

Reaction score
It has been very puzzling to see what seems like so many passes on first down in previous games. It is so important to even just get 3 or 4 yards on first down, and I saw a lot of that yesterday, which was great. 2nd and 6 gives you a ton of possibilities and if they don't work, you still have 3rd and manageable. Yesterday played to our strengths rather than trying to fit the square peg in the round hole. We really need to now take that next step and see something like this against a decent opponent.

mrt144

Reaction score
Aros":35izifcp said:
It pains me to have to give Bevell credit but he deserves some for yesterday's play calling.

He didn't get rattled by adversity. I really wonder what sort of cognitive bias is in play where you ratchet up the risk when previous less risky things don't work out. (Gambling addiction - hehehe, because I am one)

Anthony!

Reaction score
Scottemojo":shhr94f8 said:
Good job.
When we got behind the sticks, other than one ugly screen, the playcalling was on schedule. He fed the hot hands. Other than a couple of dial em up max protect deep shots, Russ had hot read options on most plays. There were some rhythm plays, Russ hits his back foot and the ball is out. The blitz was no problem. when we got inside the 30 we didn't all of the sudden switch personalities, and when OL player after OL player went out, he stuck with what had worked.

This was the best offensive effort in two years from the standpoint of situational playcalling.

Agreed hope he keeps it up and does not try to get stupid.

White Devil

Reaction score
I'm usually seated at the front of the bus when Bevell has a bad game, but I will completely give him credit for this last game. THIS was Seahawks football. He allowed the run game time to work and fed off the play action.

Well done. Do it again.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":15wunapm said:
........Russ had hot read options on most plays. There were some rhythm plays, Russ hits his back foot and the ball is out.....................
This is what us detractors have asked for all damned year, especially hot read options (and for me that point actually goes back to 2013 against the Rams).

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3el53321 said:
Scottemojo":3el53321 said:
Some of you can't be pleased. sigh.

Bevell cannot choose the opponent. But he can call good situational football. Yesterday he made the game a lot less about tricking the defense and a lot more about getting the ball into the hands of playmakers.

There's room for optimism. Bevell has featured more quick passing stuff in the gameplan ever since the Dallas game, and it's helped Russell in certain situations.

Scotte, what would you like to see Bevell do in situations where the defense takes us out of our schedule (which is their job anyway)? Seems like every time they do, Bevell trots out his terrible 3rd down passing concepts and we punt.
Without specific situations, it is kind of hard to say what we should have done.

kearly

Reaction score
I was really interested in Scottemojo's take after this game. Early in the game I was groaning at the WR screen calls- the WR screen has been one of my bigger play calling critiques of Bevell the past two years since they are so rarely effective- but in this game they were consistently positive plays. The execution of those plays seemed crisper than usual.

There were some phantom holds in this game and a few others that were chippy. Lots of penalties on the OL which masks a very strong outing for the group.

kearly

Reaction score
Seemed like Wilson had a lot of trouble finding deep options come open in this game. On most of Wilson's deep looks, he had a lot of time and just couldn't find anybody. This is without the benefit of all 22, but when seeing this in the game I was envisioning 4 WRs all running basically the same route to the same field depth as has happened so many times before.

There were also a couple of sacks Wilson took or had to throw the ball away where he held the ball a long time and when things eventually broke down it didn't appear he had any outlet.

I thought the offense looked good, but even if counting the missed PATs, 31 points feels like it isn't enough for a team that had a RB go over 255 total yards with 2 TDs. Though I guess dropping 3 INTs plays a role in that too.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Can't be too stoked when he has a good game against an abysmal team (at home).

It was nice to see some kind of offense though, it's been far too long. Hopefully he can keep it up and not fall apart when he HAS to put up points on the board.

Not bad though.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3hjnz2wx said:
Good job.
When we got behind the sticks, other than one ugly screen, the playcalling was on schedule. He fed the hot hands. Other than a couple of dial em up max protect deep shots, Russ had hot read options on most plays. There were some rhythm plays, Russ hits his back foot and the ball is out. The blitz was no problem. when we got inside the 30 we didn't all of the sudden switch personalities, and when OL player after OL player went out, he stuck with what had worked.

This was the best offensive effort in two years from the standpoint of situational playcalling.

It helps when your opponent is a whipped dog.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Regardless of whether he called a reasonably competent game yesterday, he's still pretty predictable by formation and by down and distance.

At the game yesterday a friend who sits behind me and i were announcing the play to be run before each play and were better than 80% by the end. Wilson's effectiveness with the Oline he has is greatly improved if he has a short pass to throw rather than waiting for downfield play to open up. Of course having a solid running attack allows that to happen with effectiveness.

I do wish he could learn to use Graham better and find ways to run seam passes to the TEs like every other team runs against our D.

kf3339

Reaction score
I'm glad the play calling was effective for this game, but come on it's against the 49ers. No one really expected them to challenge us this game.

What I want to see is how we play against the Steelers and Vikings. If we can do the same against them with dominant wins I will then think perhaps we have turned the corner. Until then I will just say good game!

Hawks46

Reaction score
It was a well called game, but it seems like play calling is easier for Bevell when the run game is working. And the run game was working to epic proportions last game.

Pittsburgh is one of the top ranked run defenses in the league this year. We'll see what happens if we either can't get the run established, or if they manage to establish the run against a good team. That will color me a believer.

Chawker

Reaction score
HEY! WTH I thought you guys wanted to run Bevell out of town on a rail or tar & feather him, and now you guys are showing some respect for him??? Did hell get in an order of ice or what. Where sports? I'd like to hear what he thinks about this.

themunn

Reaction score
The 49ers are still a division rival, and 500 yards of offense is still a great performance.

Could have sworn the 49ers just held the Falcons to a single TD and just 17 rushing yards a week ago.

Isn't Kyle Shanahan the guy we wished we had instead of Bevell too?