Bengals vs Chiefs

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
GemCity":3i8499vq said:
Last I checked, PFF had us ranked lower. But, PFF isn’t the best standard to go by.

No argument here. Both lines are bad imo. Burrow is al ready a really, really good QB and deserves kudos.

Mael…you’d statement about it being a testament to the live while Russ is in there makes sense as well.

I’m still a bit salty about Eskridge over Creed…

I was a bit salty over it today as well.

p9f111.webp

Dude's like a redneck Blastoise from Pokemon. I had him as Center #1 and a bona fide first round talent. Loved him.

I get a lot of shit for defending the pick, but I only defend it in the sense that I viewed WR3 as a big need - and the Bengals are a big reason why. If Eskridge had ended up being an impact guy, a three-headed monster is near impossible to stop. Covers up so many other roster holes. I was calling for Creed too, but even I couldn't have predicted how good he'd be as a rookie despite loving him as a prospect.

Elemas

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2qu6znf4 said:
GemCity":2qu6znf4 said:
Maelstrom787":2qu6znf4 said:
GemCity":2qu6znf4 said:
And sacks aren’t the only indicator.

Our line is and has been worse. I’m not taking away anything from Burrow. He’s incredible. But, throwing Russ under the bus because he should win with a bad line inferences are questionable.

I'm not trying to rag on Russ here - I just think that Cincinnati's line is significantly worse.

Worse LG, C, RG, and a practice squad player at RT currently, plus Jonah is on par with 2021 Duane and worse than past Duane.

I'm of the opinion that the Bengals have the worst line in the league, and I follow them pretty closely as my second favorite team. I would put Seattle around 20th if I had to.

Same here…our AFC team. Hard not to be as we live 20 minutes north. My whole family are all “Who Dey”.
Their line is horrible. No doubt. I thought I read that ours is overall worse (if I recall, the rankings were close though…pressures, penalties, etc).

Nice. My uncles a big Bengals fan. Practically raised me after my dad died. Taught me all I know about football.

I went my entire life up to this point having never seen them win a playoff game. I'm gonna take the 12 hour drive down to watch the game with him in a few weeks. He rooted his ass off for Seattle in their Super Bowls, time to repay that.

That’s awesome. My grandpa took me to Bengals games when I was young. Many fond memories.

I’ve just been a Hawks fan forever. Started around the Largent days…stayed up at all kinds of hours to watch Sean Alexander when I was in the service. Geographically, I should be a Bengals fan. As they’re AFC, I don’t feel bad about rooting for them (unless they play us). It does pain me a bit when my 9 year old wants Burrow jerseys (instead of Russ) but, I always cave in.

Elemas

Reaction score
Agreed. Still high hopes for Eskridge.. it wasn’t just the Creed pass for me. Josh Myers played in our town. I’ve watched him since 2015. My oldest son used to stay the night over at his house as they played ball together.

Injury aside, he tore it up for GB. Really wanted to see him in a Hawks jersey.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yup, Mahomes did multiple Wilson Hero-Ball plays that backfired... I do love Mahomes as a player, but he and Wilson do a lot of the same Hero-Ball stuff. Mahomes is just way better at it, a better runner, and has more variety to his game.

Credit Cincy's defense for being able to force the issue. Unbelievable job by the Cincy DC, especially in making adjustments and shutting down KC in 2nd half.

That play at the end of the 1st half, Eli Apple redeeming his worthless self after DPI in EZ, by tacking Tyreek Hill to end the half, good stuff! Then that sack-fumble at the end of regulation, and also that one where the Bengals spy chased Mahomes down and sacked him, not buying the jukes--great stuff!

I didn't realize Cincy's O-Line was so bad, though the 9-sack game sure is a clue. I just know Joe Burrow has sneakily become a top-three QB in this league, been watching him develop and play amazing this year. Saw lots of games over the season where Burrow hit big plays to Tee Higgins, so it wasn't a stretch to see him use Higgins to take up the slack for Jamarr Chase being often taken away by the KC Defense.

So impressed by the whole package Burrow brings, reading D's, leadership, in-game adjustments, rapport with his receivers, playing within himself, but somehow making big plays in big moments, the Brady comparison is for sure a reasonable one. (Love Justin Herbert too.) Burrow is the perfect QB for that team. Those two 3rd-and-7 runs for first downs, especially the one where he got away from Chris Jones sack attempt, then high-stepped out of a tackle from behind, what a remarkable play, especially for a "non-running" QB!

People don't realize what a cold, ruthless, effective assassin Burrow is, partly because of his cherubic looks. The trail of Burrows-terminated teams and QBs in the playoffs, now that's some pretty good evidence.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Agreed about the Mahomes-Wilson connection. They both suffer from the same disease as their success with their Houdini-like escapes makes them overconfident, allows them to think that they can save any and every play and refuse to concede and live for another down. That was the worst game that I've seen Mahomes play.

I'm not nearly as high on Burrow as others are. He gave up 9 sacks last weekend, at least 5 of them being a direct result of his not knowing when to get rid of the ball. Yesterday was better, but he started out slow, was just 6-13 for 20 some yards about halfway through the 2nd quarter. That will be the big challenge for the Bengals, to protect Burrow from the Rams pass rush.

Nearly every playoff game has gone down to the very last play, with the Rams games against the Niners and Cards being the sole exceptions. I've never seen so many walk off FG's/TD's as we have these past couple of weeks. It's reflective of how well balanced the league was this season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Down 21-3 at KC and the pull it off. That team is not only well coached, but they have a ton of heart.
Burrow is the real deal. They won TWO games just a couple seasons ago, and 4 last year. And here they are in the SB. Damn, very impressive.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
RiverDog":3dqtma8h said:
Agreed about the Mahomes-Wilson connection. They both suffer from the same disease as their success with their Houdini-like escapes makes them overconfident, allows them to think that they can save any and every play and refuse to concede and live for another down. That was the worst game that I've seen Mahomes play.

I'm not nearly as high on Burrow as others are. He gave up 9 sacks last weekend, at least 5 of them being a direct result of his not knowing when to get rid of the ball. Yesterday was better, but he started out slow, was just 6-13 for 20 some yards about halfway through the 2nd quarter. That will be the big challenge for the Bengals, to protect Burrow from the Rams pass rush.

Nearly every playoff game has gone down to the very last play, with the Rams games against the Niners and Cards being the sole exceptions. I've never seen so many walk off FG's/TD's as we have these past couple of weeks. It's reflective of how well balanced the league was this season.

Did you watch the SB last year ? Mahomes was garbage

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's hilarious that every time Mahomes has a crap game, he somehow "looks like Russ"
He also looked like Russ on that incredible scramble and TD pass.
He played like crap the 2nd half yesterday, that game is on him. He is a ridiculous talent, love the guy.
But, he also plays really bad football at times with the game on the line.
The play where he held the ball for like 10 seconds and fumbled, that was next level stupid. And they were extremely fortunate that the ball was recovered. You gotta' get rid of that ball. And Russ absolutely is guilty of holding on too long. But to that level? Mahomes took it next level. He missed open guys the entire 2nd half.
Burrow is in his 2nd year (missed much of his rookie season) and looked a LOT more poised than Mahomes did.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sweet Jesus. Just saw that Burrow has been pressured 59 times this postseason alone. Nearly 20 per game.

What an insane stretch he's having.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":96x03ahd said:
It's hilarious that every time Mahomes has a crap game, he somehow "looks like Russ"
He also looked like Russ on that incredible scramble and TD pass.
He played like crap the 2nd half yesterday, that game is on him. He is a ridiculous talent, love the guy.
But, he also plays really bad football at times with the game on the line.
The play where he held the ball for like 10 seconds and fumbled, that was next level stupid. And they were extremely fortunate that the ball was recovered. You gotta' get rid of that ball. And Russ absolutely is guilty of holding on too long. But to that level? Mahomes took it next level. He missed open guys the entire 2nd half.
Burrow is in his 2nd year (missed much of his rookie season) and looked a LOT more poised than Mahomes did.

Russ has been befuddled in nearly exactly the same way a good few times over the past 2 years. It's crazy not to see the similarities.

Cover-2 did it to Russ, and dropping 8 did it to Mahomes.

Interestingly, all each team had to do was run themselves out of those coverages...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A lot of similarities. But Russ gets blasted 10 times worse than when Mahomes does the exact same things. It's lame, but it's reality.

James in PA

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":127y99i9 said:
A lot of similarities. But Russ gets blasted 10 times worse than when Mahomes does the exact same things. It's lame, but it's reality.
Current Russ is not as fast or elusive as the Russ of 8-10 years ago. And certainly not as fast as Mahomes. So, when he still tries to do the Whodini stuff and takes sacks for HUGE losses, the criticism is warranted. I feel like Mahomes can still often get out of those situations. Russ, not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":nhbl0by7 said:

Ambrose83":nhbl0by7 said:
Did you watch the SB last year ? Mahomes was garbage

Of course, I watched the SB last year. I've watched all 55 SB's, live as they happened. And yes, Mahomes was garbage. But Tampa Bay clearly had the better team, at least that day. The Chiefs trailed the entire game and were down 21-6 at halftime, never scored a TD. They were up against the GOAT.

Sunday was different. It was a very winnable game that the Chiefs led for most of the way. At the end of the first half, Mahomes arguably blew a near game clinching TD or at least a near certain 3 points when his first look wasn't open and he forgot that they didn't have any timeouts and rather than kill the clock immediately, he tosses a dump off pass that had zero chance of scoring or getting out of bounds. How in the hell can any quarterback, let alone a veteran MVP QB, forget that he didn't have any timeouts?

Then he totally screws up the end of regulation, nearly costing them the game by taking a huge sack and fumbling, luckily recovered by one of his linemen, forcing his kicker to make a challenging 44 yard FG instead of a chip shot.

In overtime, on 3rd and 10 from his own 25, Mahomes throws some 35 yards downfield into double coverage and gets it picked. Horrible decision made worse by the circumstances. He was trying to play hero ball and hit Hill again for another crazy TD rather than move the sticks.

The Chiefs were clearly the better team, both on paper and in their performance on the field. The major reason they lost was due to poor quarterbacking. It was the worst game I've ever seen Mahomes play, SB 55 included.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Russ can't do those things? Yeah right :roll:
Dear god, every thread moves in to a Trade Russ and/or he sucks thread :irishdrinkers:

RiverDog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ugyf2ul said:
Russ can't do those things? Yeah right :roll:
Dear god, every thread moves in to a Trade Russ and/or he sucks thread :irishdrinkers:

Then why respond? If it bothers you as much as you claim it does, then let it die on the vine and respond to those comments that are relevant to the topic as you see it. By answering, you keep the subject alive.

Some people, not necessarily you, are argumentative by nature and actually enjoy getting into it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Because I feel like it? And it's funny?
I enjoy it, it's entertainment. Kind of a love/hate thing. I hate it, but it's still very entertaining.
But I get your point............

RiverDog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1kemsvv1 said:
Because I feel like it? And it's funny?
I enjoy it, it's entertainment. Kind of a love/hate thing. I hate it, but it's still very entertaining.
But I get your point............

Fair enough. Thanks for admitting it. A lot of people aren't as self critical as you are.

The comparisons between Mahomes and Russell are fair. It's the downside of a scrambling quarterback. They get conditioned by their success in Houdini like escapes and causes them to believe that they can get out of anything, that no situation is too dire for them to find a way out of, and occasionally it comes back to bite them. Russell has had a very similar problem with that phenomena.

Mahomes needs to take a long look at himself in the mirror. One of those mistakes, his not realizing that he didn't have any timeouts, had nothing to do with his athletic ability or his decision making. Absouletly no excuse. It was as bad or worse than Dak not getting the ball to the ref so he could spike it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They absolutely remind me of each other. Can make spectacular, back yard football plays. But also, clearly they both need to learn to live for another play at times. Being a check down Charlie once in awhile works very well for a lot QB's. Not sure if either guy has it in them to play that way, but they flat out SHOULD learn to change their mentality about it.
Take what the defense gives you, live for another play, and eat up some time of possession.
And I don't believe for one bit that they not capable of a short passing game. That's a crock.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2w7tzv9m said:
They absolutely remind me of each other. Can make spectacular, back yard football plays. But also, clearly they both need to learn to live for another play at times. Being a check down Charlie once in awhile works very well for a lot QB's. Not sure if either guy has it in them to play that way, but they flat out SHOULD learn to change their mentality about it.
Take what the defense gives you, live for another play, and eat up some time of possession.
And I don't believe for one bit that they not capable of a short passing game. That's a crock.

I agree completely, although at 33 years old, Russell has more of those spectacular, back yard football plays in his past than he does in his future. Mahomes is 7 years his junior and still has a few more years before he's going to have to adjust to his 'new normal'.

Latest posts