Bears Den Week #7

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score

Bears Den Week #7

I would be lying if I said I expected the Bears would go into NE and crush the Pats 33-14. The “14” didn’t surprised me. The Bears can play defense. Except for the two long pass plays, the Pats did nothing on offense. They couldn’t even run the ball.

But the “33” was a huge surprise. With the extra time from the bye week, the Bears coaching staff came up with a great game plan on offense, focused on what Justin Fields does best — run the ball. They had 12 designed QB runs, plus Fields ran for first downs on third down all night (at least 5). He ended with 14 carries for 81 yards. If you run your receivers deep to take the defensive backs 20 yards downfield, Justin can outrun any lineman or linebacker on his scrambles.

After this performance, I expect defensive coordinators to start using a “spy” to stop him from running on third downs. Pats should have done it after the second or third time.

Anyway, Week #7 was a joy for me. Both the Bears and Seahawks came out and kicked ass in games the “experts”predicted they would lose.

Both coaching staffs deserve a lot of credit. Let’s end all the whining about Pete Carroll’s coaching.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I also noticed with Herbert and Montgomery they did use some 3 TE sets and on some of them appeared to disquise them just before the snap and shifted to it.
However they should've gone for the 40 burger... never give up that opportunity to lay a 40 burger on NE in thier house.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I also noticed with Herbert and Montgomery they did use some 3 TE sets and on some of them appeared to disquise them just before the snap and shifted to it.
However they should've gone for the 40 burger... never give up that opportunity to lay a 40 burger on NE in thier house.
I don’t need a 40 burger. The way the Bears have played the first 6 games, 33 suits me fine.

I failed to mention that the Bears had 243 yards on the ground. Run the ball and play defense. Isn’t that what some people around here criticize as old-fashioned “Pete ball”? If you can do both well, it still works.

keasley45

Reaction score
I don’t need a 40 burger. The way the Bears have played the first 6 games, 33 suits me fine.

I failed to mention that the Bears had 243 yards on the ground. Run the ball and play defense. Isn’t that what some people around here criticize as old-fashioned “Pete ball”? If you can do both well, it still works.

Its funny how every few years there's this feeling by some that running the ball and playing defense can't win games anymore. To think that those aspects of a sport that literally make it what it is, no longer have a place, is laughable.

Football has and always will be a game of physicality, aggression, intimidation, and ultimately exerting one's mental and physical will over another.

Complex Xs and Os look great for a while, until they are no longer new or until a sophisticated offense comes up against a team that has an equally effective defense and can keep them off the field with a powerful running game.

A fast car cant finish first if it's not on the track long enough to compete.

And when you can run like we are showing we can, play defense the way we've been able to, and have an effective, if not highlight reel ready passing game, you've got a combination that's difficult to beat - whether in 2022, 1972, 2052.

JPatera76

Reaction score

No but.. in Belichecks house... against the NE Patriots.. infront of thier fanbase.. where you b*tch slap the win away from them to keep Halas's record intact just makes for a fun storyline lol Because until they mentioned it I forgot that if the Patriots would've beaten the bears it would've passed up one of the records the bears have from Halas.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
No but.. in Belichecks house... against the NE Patriots.. infront of thier fanbase.. where you b*tch slap the win away from them to keep Halas's record intact just makes for a fun storyline lol Because until they mentioned it I forgot that if the Patriots would've beaten the bears it would've passed up one of the records the bears have from Halas.
He’s going to break the record, but at least not against the Bears. I don’t know how much that motivated the team, but they sure came fired up. Emotions definitely have a role in football.

With all due respect to GSH and BB, I still think Don Shula is the all-time greatest head coach. He had two losing seasons in 33 years.

Last edited:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He’s going to break the record, but at least not against the Bears. I don’t know how much that motivated the team, but they sure came fired up. Emotions definitely have a role in football.

With all due respect to GSH and BB, I still think Don Shula is the all-time greatest head coach. He had two losing seasons in 33 years.
I never understood how Halas never got to or won the SB with Butkus,Sayers among others.
What Shula did with Baltimore before Miami does speak for itself.
The all time greatest?That is tough..Paul Brown,Bill Walsh and Vince are there.
If Pete had gotten 2 SB wins in a row he may be there along with his USC titles?
It's hard to say.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I never understood how Halas never got to or won the SB with Butkus,Sayers among others.
What Shula did with Baltimore before Miami does speak for itself.
The all time greatest?That is tough..Paul Brown,Bill Walsh and Vince are there.
If Pete had gotten 2 SB wins in a row he may be there along with his USC titles?
It's hard to say.
Well, I am old enough to have witnessed some of the Halas era. The 1963 Bears were a strong team, and we never had another until the great 1985 Bears — not much since then except the 2006 Super Bowl team with Urlacher, etc.

Butkus and Sayers were fabulous HOF players, but it takes more than two stars to win a championship. And remember, they were playing against the Packers dynasty.