Avril our WILL?

SDHawk

Reaction score
Clare seems to think that's Pete's design: http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... b9d49cfe83

BASE

LEO: Chris Clemons
3-T: Michael Bennett
1-T: Brandon Mebane
5-T: Red Bryant

Will: Cliff Avril
Mike: Bobby Wagner
SAM: KJ Wright

NICKEL

LEO: Bruce Irvin
3-T: Chris Clemons
1-T: Brandon Mebane
5-T: Michael Bennett

Will: Cliff Avril
Mike: Bobby Wagner
SAM: KJ Wright

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This makes sense to me and seems like the most efficient use of all the available talent. Bonus is that these guys can move around providing depth at multiple spots in the event of injury.

Wouldn't Bennett be able to play 3-T in the base defense making re-signing Branch a less pressing need?

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":cz5timdn said:
This makes sense to me and seems like the most efficient use of all the available talent. Bonus is that these guys can move around providing depth at multiple spots in the event of injury.

Wouldn't Bennett be able to play 3-T in the base defense making re-signing Branch a less pressing need?

You have a point, I updated my op

lukerguy

Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude...honestly.. but this is the stupidest thing I've ever read in my life.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":178t9v1o said:
I don't mean to be rude...honestly.. but this is the stupidest thing I've ever read in my life.

Is it really?

Frozenropers

Reaction score
I don't think the Hawks are looking to go light at the 3-Tech in their base set. Bennett is a solid pass rusher, but smaller than what I think the Hawks are looking for as a base run stopping DT. I think the Hawks bring back Branch for the base set 3-Tech.

misfit

Reaction score
Lions fans and the national perspective is that Avril is a liability against the run, and I don't believe he's ever dropped into coverage. Why would he get moved to linebacker? I know Carroll mentioned it, but it seems like a smoke screen.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Frozenropers":2l8rermv said:
I don't think the Hawks are looking to go light at the 3-Tech in their base set. Bennett is a solid pass rusher, but smaller than what I think the Hawks are looking for as a base run stopping DT. I think the Hawks bring back Branch for the base set 3-Tech.

This is a useful response.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Avril may play a rushing LB on occasion, but to suggest he would be a WLB in our base defense lacks all sorts of understanding about our defense as a whole. Avril is one of the top 5 fastest off the ball from the edge in the entire league- to play him in a position in which your in man or zone coverage would be like playing Red Bryant at Center.

He may play LB in a sub package on occasion as a function of rushing the QB, but I promise you he won't play WLB in our base. Apologies for the harsh words.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":17z80jod said:
Avril may play a rushing LB on occasion, but to suggest he would be a WLB in our base defense lacks all sorts of understanding about our defense as a whole. Avril is one of the top 5 fastest off the ball from the edge in the entire league- to play him in a position in which your in man or zone coverage would be like playing Red Bryant at Center.

He may play LB in a sub package on occasion as a function of rushing the QB, but I promise you he won't play WLB in our base. Apologies for the harsh words.

You never meant to be rude. No apologies or even an explanation required for the stupidest thing you've ever read.

lukerguy

Reaction score
SDHawk":1gdcboro said:
lukerguy":1gdcboro said:

You never meant to be rude. No apologies or even an explanation required for the stupidest thing you've ever read.

I'm sure I've read much more stupid things than this. Now I feel like a jerk.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Early in the season I can see our pass rush D-line looking something like.....

RDE - Irvin
RDT - Scruggs
LDT - Bennett
LDE - Avril

That is going to be some crazy laid down on opposing QBs!

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":q8sh6uq6 said:
SDHawk":q8sh6uq6 said:
lukerguy":q8sh6uq6 said:

I'm sure I've read much more stupid things than this. Now I feel like a jerk.

I don't doubt that, I see at least a dozen articles suggesting the same stupidest idea ever.

In fact, Avril is stupid for having participated in his combine as a linebacker. Purdue is stupid for playing him as a linebacker and the Lions, too for miscasting him as a linebacker to start.

Here are Avril's measurables vs other LBs:

Cliff Avril: 4.51 forty, 4.51 20yd shuttle, 6.9 three cone

Bobby Wagner: 4.46 forty, 4.28 20yd shuttle, 7.1 three cone

Paul Kruger: 5.00 forty, 4.47 20yd shuttle, 7.52 three cone
Philip Wheeler: 4.70 forty, 4.29 20yd shuttle, 7.11 three cone
Connor Barwin: 4.66 forty, 4.18 20yd shuttle, 6.9 three cone

Dion Jordan: 4.60 forty, 4.35 20yd shuttle, 7.02 three cone
Alec Ogletree: 4.70 forty, 4.37 20yd shuttle, 7.16 three cone
Khaseem Greene: 4.71 forty, 4.20 20yd shuttle, 7.58 three cone

JKent82

Reaction score
WILL won't happen. But I guess what could in like weird run situations maybe, is that Wagner would shift to WILL, KJ to Mike, and Avril would play SAM and set the edge.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Hmmmmmm....I'm skeptical. I mean, I think they will find creative ways to get everybody their snaps... Avril and Irvin lined up next to each other one in a 3point and the other in a Clay Matthews stance...etc etc.

But I can't envision a base defense with Avril as our Will.

We'll see, but I doubt it.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I'm honestly starting to think that the Hawks have their eye on Arthur Brown Jr. from Kansas State. Here's why:

1) Talk about the 'USC backup crew' at the combine. Get the word out that you're confident in your own guys so that the perception is teams won't have to worry about taking an LB early in the draft
2) Carroll's history with him. Called him the best linebacker prospect he'd ever seen up until that point. Pete usually has a way of getting his guys, especially ones that got away from him at USC (Harvin, Browner, Sherman, etc.)
3) Fill DE/DT and pass rushing needs mostly through free agency.
4) Talk up Avril as possibly being the WILL. Just another body for the competition but if Clemons starts off on the PUP then Avril most likely moves to LEO. That leaves an opening at the WILL again.

And with the 56th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Seattle Seahawks select... Arthur Brown Jr. Kansas State. And the crowd goes wild, as if Holyfield's just won the fight.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I don't know about this, but right now I will let Pete and Co do whatever they want to try.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Interesting article about Avril popped up on .com

I didn't realize he has been rushing primarily from the left end position (opposite of Clem) while with Detroit.

Not sure which side Bennett is accustomed to.

This is going to be fun.

Latest posts