Anyone going to the SeaDragons game in Orlando?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Any Hawks/SeaDragons fans going to the game in Orlando vs. Orlando Guardians? If so, man, talk about commitment to a team! I see the SeaDragons have been on a bit of win streak.

OK, so I live in the Orlando area now, and got discounted tix to the game thru my GF. 15 minute drive to the Camping World stadium. I see that Josh Gordon is on the roster, #0, any other SeaDragons players to pay extra attention to?

All I know about the Orlando team is they cut a QB who was alleged to have shared info on team plays with opposing team players. Oh yeah, and that they are winless but have been losing games by close margins instead of blowouts lately.

Just hoping for a close and exciting game.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Jacour Pearson. He leads the league in receptions.

Quentin Dormondy, the Orlando qb, repeated what his coach had already told espn, which was that the plan was to alternate qbs. That was it.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Jacour Pearson. He leads the league in receptions.

Quentin Dormondy, the Orlando qb, repeated what his coach had already told espn, which was that the plan was to alternate qbs. That was it.
Thank you for the correction on Quinten Dormady! As preacher C.H. Spurgeon sorta-said in 1859, "A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its boots." Certainly applies here. (FWIW Dormady spells his name weird)

IIRC, WR Cody Latimer of the Guardians had some run in the NFL and rumor is the Guardians use him as a TE.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Cody Latimer was a bright spot. However, no one coukd Cover tup the ineptitude of Paxton Lynch, he who was benched in the nfl, cfl, usfl and xfl.

I’ll be looking to see if the Dragons implement more of a balanced game in the second half. This is where DiNucci has lost with all his turnovers.

Itll be interesting to hear your post game reaction to the live fan experience. For example, I’d think that once inside, there wouldn’t be people that keep checking that you are where you paid to be. I’d imagine it’d be pretty easy to just move to a seat with a better view. Plus, always interested in concessions. Was there ample beer? Hot dogs?

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
The fan experience was overall pretty good. None of the people constantly checking you're in the proper seat thing you mentioned. Lots of Dragons fans wearing orange seen at the game. The ref communication of penalties wasn't the best for fans in the stadium; a lot of times it was hard to know what the call was.

Pretty balanced game, but the Guardians repeatedly shot themselves in the foot on offense with multiple needless false start or illegal motion penalties. IMO, that was the difference in the game. Turned a TD into a FG for Orlando and nixed an Orlando drive that would have wound up with points. Clarification, the silly penalties plus the blocked punt by Seattle were the difference. Overall, a competitive game, there for the taking by either team in the 4th quarter, and the Seattle team took it.

The Guardians only rushed 3 on most plays and DiNucci had plenty of time to throw. Not that impressed with DiNucci, inaccurate, put the ball in harm's way a lot, but he did make just enough key throws, especially on 3rd down, to keep drives alive, especially in the 2nd half.

The Orlando QB Quinten Dormady did a good job overall, but just not quite good enough. For both QBs, the WR play seemed a huge step down from what we see in NFL play. Lots of drops and failures to catch what seemed like balls NFL WRs would usually catch. Josh Gordon was a non-factor for whatever reason.

It was an enjoyable fan experience in Orlando at Camping World stadium and I'll go back for a couple more games this season. Overall, the SeaDragons fan experience at Lumen field is a better fan experience IMO, based on a couple-three Dragons games we went to in Seattle before the pandemic shut the XFL down. I'm sure it also doesn't help the Orlando fan energy that the Guardians are still Oh-for-the-season.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice report Oly! Yeah Dinucci is a gunslinger with a penchant for picks ala Favre when he was first starting out in the league. Nope, not comparing him to Favre per se, but he reminds me of that same mentality. Seems we can win enough games with him but he will likely cost them an important game or two as well. St Louis isn’t going away so it will be a battle to the finish for that second playoff spot.

So I am surprised you didn’t mention the heat! 90 degrees in March?!!! Even in Orlando that seems insane! Do you think that played any role in the Dragons play?

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Nice report Oly! Yeah Dinucci is a gunslinger with a penchant for picks ala Favre when he was first starting out in the league. Nope, not comparing him to Favre per se, but he reminds me of that same mentality. Seems we can win enough games with him but he will likely cost them an important game or two as well. St Louis isn’t going away so it will be a battle to the finish for that second playoff spot.

So I am surprised you didn’t mention the heat! 90 degrees in March?!!! Even in Orlando that seems insane! Do you think that played any role in the Dragons play?
Re the heat... It was just a nice early spring day in Orlando, not terribly humid, clear skies, no afternoon/evening thunderstorms, a perfect beautiful day, lol! Oh, what, it's 92 F? Probably hotter down on the field. I must be adjusted to FL. Didya hear about the Floridian who brought a car door with him on a hike through Death Valley? Yeah, in case it got too hot, he could just roll down the window! OK, that joke's so old... it might seem new again to youngsters.

NO, I don't think heat played any role, affected both teams equally... because, if I understand correctly, all the teams practice in Arlington, Texas during the week, and then fly out to the game locations each week. So they're all acclimated to DFW Texas weather. Anyone know different?

Per the article SCH shared, I'd have to say the SeaDragons Special Teams won that game. Punt block, of course, but also several excellent kick and punt returns that set up scoring drives. I'd forgotten about those kick returns.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
PS…Why has Gordon disappeared?!
Gordon, #0, was targeted several times in the game, but seemed well-covered and didn't really have great opportunities. The Guardians rushed 3 most plays, so dropping 8, and possibly had a game plan to scheme Gordon out of the game. He may have drawn enough attention that it opened up room for other WRs, like that final Seattle TD catch later in the game by #4, Green, it looked like Orlando DBs were preoccupied with Gordon, leaving a window for DiNucci's TD throw to #4, great read, perfect throw.