All you number geeks, post your plan to save us money

VancitySeahawk

Reaction score
All you number geeks, post your plan to save us money this offseason.

Use this site as a tool: http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team= ... &Year=2014

My plan is to cut the following:

Rice (Saves us 7.3 mil in 2014)
Clemons (Saves us 7.5 mil in 2014)
Miller (Saves us 5 mil in 2014)
Bryant (Saves us 5.5 mil in 2014)
Heath Farewell (saves us 1.5 mil in 2014)

A total of $26.8 million saved in 2014.

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
Could we restructure some though if they are willing?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Looking at the entire thing, the only places we can really save money is:

Rice, Clemmons, Miller. I don't see us saving that much with cutting Farwell and he's getting the minimum, but he's easily worth his number in ST and backup MLB production.

I'd like to restructure Clem and maybe Rice if he comes back right.

Miller is a great TE, but he's not worth a $7mil hit. Restructure Miller and Clem, then cut Rice and maybe bring him back. Use this money on Sherm and Thomas

The nice thing is that our FO is great at reloading through the draft. We won't have to spend a lot to upgrade interior OL, WR and depth. It's the only spots we really need help on, and we're going to lose some depth via guys leaving to make money (Thurmond).

Keep in mind we have guys like Hill and Simon ready to play this year and take up a roster spot.

A

Anonymous

I've already taken a pay cut, so y'all make sure to figure that in...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
this should coincide with whether we resign Bennet and Tate and what the costs of those would be... thats money to be spent elsewhere if we dont.

Personall, i'd love to have Bennet back. Tate as well. but at a price that makes sense

amill87

Reaction score
Almost a gurantee something happens with Rice and Clemons (I see Rice restructuring and Clemons being cut).

Miller, Bryant, and Farwell are a bit harder to predict. I don't see us cutting any of them. Possible restructure but they aren't too bad contract wise.

I don't see us spending too much in FA, gonna be some role players for depth. All of the money is gonna be used on Baldwin, Thomas, and Bennett. Sherman might get his this offseason as well.

amill87

Reaction score
Forgot to add i see it breaking down like this

Thomas 9-10 mil
Baldwin 2 -3 mil
Rice 2-3 mil
Bennett - 7 mil

Altogether about 23 mil

We are projected about 5 mil in cap space. With a rice restructure and clemons cut, that puts us around 20. So JS has some work to do to just make it work for these guys, let alone trying to fit Sherman in there.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Miller, Rice, Clemons, Bryant....all on the bubble and will likely need to restructor or be cut, with Bryant and Miller being the priority because of roster bonuses in early m arch

Polaris

Reaction score
I don't see the team cutting Miller. If you look at his contract, his maximum cap hit was this year, and his cap numbe starts decreasing dramatically (to about 3mil or so in 2015 iirc) just in time to lock in Wilson. 3 Mil for a TE of his ability (cap hit) is actually (imho) a pretty good deal.

mikeak

Reaction score
amill87":3iusfhey said:
Forgot to add i see it breaking down like this

Thomas 9-10 mil
Baldwin 2 -3 mil
Rice 2-3 mil
Bennett - 7 mil

Altogether about 23 mil

We are projected about 5 mil in cap space. With a rice restructure and clemons cut, that puts us around 20. So JS has some work to do to just make it work for these guys, let alone trying to fit Sherman in there.

I project Sherman to get an extension to help with the cap. Sign him to a five-year extension keeps him at 2014 salary intact, up the guaranteed money - everyone is happy.

Restructure Lynch maybe as well

Baldwin will be real interesting to see what happens. I don't think we get him and Tate and I wonder what they would get on the FA market

drrew

Reaction score
Couple things to keep in mind are guys who are not FA's, but whose cap numbers change dramatically

Harvins cap number was only $4.9m this year, jumps to $13.4m in 2014.
Zach Miller was $11m this season, drops to $7m in 2014.
Cliff Avril only $3.75m this season, $9.25m in 2014.

I would expect Rice and Clemons to be cut and I would extend Avril out a few seasons to get his cap number back around $5m. I think they may also restructure Okung to lessen his cap number..increase the guarantee and lowering his base salary could clear up several million in cap room.

I'm someone who enjoys the roster machinations so I'll find this offseason and the juggling that Schneider performs very interesting.

jblaze

Reaction score
I see us cutting Rice, Clemons and Bryant. We'll extend Thomas this year and Sherman next year. We may extend Russell and have to franchise tag Sherman if necessary but I think we can swing both with losing Avril, etc after next year. Thomas' cap hit won't be terrible as his stated cap hit next year without extension is already 5mil and an extension will keep his first year cap hit around there.

Tate should get around 5-6m if we choose to keep him and I think we do.

Spiderdan

Reaction score
I think we have to wait and see what the market is like. I would never have thought it'd be possible to get Avril & Bennett last year.

jblaze

Reaction score
Something interesting just came across twitter.

Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr 18m

"I would rather be happy and take a little less and win ballgames, then to take more and go to a crappy city"- Golden Tate to @IanKJR

Which leads me to the argument that people may be willing to restructure or take a little less for two reasons. One, because they have a chance to win for the next 4-5 years here. Two, because everyone wants to play for Pete because he makes it fun and lets you be who you are.

As much as money certainly does dictate terms in the NFL, we can't discount the affect that those two factors will come to play in the next few years. Players want to play in Seattle, hell even Jermichael Finley said it today that if it doesn't work out with the Packers, he'd take the next plane to Seattle. Sounds like people understand we're starting something big here in the foreseeable future and they want to be a part of that.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I remember hearing somewhere along the way last week during the SB coverage that The Architect already has a "plan in place" for dealing with the imminent contract situations.

jblaze

Reaction score
True. Whatever happens, I trust JS and PC, they've earned that much and more. Given how they carried cap over from 2010 and then spent it this year essentially making a hard two year run, I think they know exactly what they're doing.

Latest posts