All of the sacks and pressures vs Niners

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3sqsxg9v said:
SomersetHawk":3sqsxg9v said:
Thanks for your analysis Scotte.

I wonder how Britt would hold up as a guard. To me he just looks poor in space.
It will snap into place for him. He is a right tackle, you can count the number of really good pass blocking right tackles on one hand, but he has plenty of athleticism and footspeed. So he should get better in space.

Pete is a bit of a Britt fluffer. he makes sure he minimizes Britt's mistakes and maximizes his good deeds in pressers. I think Pete is aware that the only thing standing between Britt and success is some attitude and experience. When he stops letting guys get into him, and takes it to them before they can hit that power step, he will get a lot better.

Keep in mind he played pretty much his whole career at Mizzou in a two point stance pass blocking a quick hitter spread attack. So the fact that he can maul from a 3 point is pretty good.
Boy I hope you're right about this. His performance Sunday was a downer, even with some mitigating circumstances as you pointed put in your initial post. The fact that his technique was what it was at Mizzou helps ease my mind a bit.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Nice breakdown, I was waiting for the all 22 to do something similar because of all the questions surrounding the o-line. They always seems to look worse on the broadcast footage than they do on the 22 when you can better see what they were up against.

I believe this line is a lot better than many are giving it credit for, and not all of the problems that appear to originate from the O-line do originate there. It is partly O-line, partly scheme, and partly on Russ and his receivers for not recognizing blitz.

I am somewhat hopeful for a better performance next weekend because the SF defense took a page out of Arizona's playbook in the way they approached their pressure packages in this game. Hopefully, this will translate into better recognition for our offense.

With Okung out, we are going to see a lot of edge pressure on the right that we haven't had to account for in a while. They will also spend some time testing Britt on the other edge so I expect to see some serious pounding the rock in the middle.

I sure wish we had Unger back for this game for the calls, although I think that physically LJP gives us equal production in the running game.

-bsd

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If Britt was playing right tackle for a guy who liked to climb the pocket, we wouldn't be talking about him very much at all. Of course, if we had a guy who climbed the pocket, we would be complaining about our center getting pushed into his lap.

The Raiders O-line is no great shakes at pass blocking. But Carr, even as a rookie, has uncanny pocket presence and the sack totals are low. 20 sacks in 529 attempts. Schaub has as much pocket presence as he has hair, 10 attempts, 3 sacks. How much dislike would Raider fans be talking about their line if Shaub had started all year? Now, I'm not saying it is all on the QB, clearly our line has pass blockers who lack polish. Arguing that they are not bad, just average is hardly the offseason I look forward too, but it is the one I am going to get.

I thought the bomb to Kearse perfectly illustrates what Russell is. He gambles with his life holding the ball so he doesn't have to gamble down the field. Other great QBs have posted high sack totals doing the same thing, Rodgers and Roethlisberger are good examples.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1knpiw0q said:
I'd like the WRs to have better situational awareness, too. One thing Rice and Tate were both good at was being aware when the play was breaking down and Russell was scrambling. They would work to get to open spots quickly. I don't think our current WR corps is quite as good at this skill.

They flat-out give up and start jogging when Wilson starts scrambling. All except for Baldwin and sometimes Kearse.

kearly

Reaction score
Fans are like humanity at large, we always gravitate to simple answers even for complex issues. I think we are all guilty of it from time to time.

Scottemojo":2xmpwwwx said:
Rodgers and Roethlisberger are good examples.

You stole my thunder. I was just about to reply to Montana's David Carr comment by noting that Rodgers and Big Ben forgot to suck when they were getting sacked 50+ times a season (or that Carr still sucked after leaving the Texans). That's no slight on Montana, but I hear this line of thinking a lot and it misses the mark on account of being over-simplified logic.

Not saying that pressure and physical wear aren't important factors. But how many sacks would equal a pick? A sack is a negative play, but it's typically no worse than an offensive holding call. Negative play can be overcome with big plays. It's not just Wilson that does it, the exalted Andrew Luck is the master of making up for bad plays as well.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":3r68mm3h said:
Scottemojo":3r68mm3h said:
Rodgers and Roethlisberger are good examples.

You stole my thunder. I was just about to reply to Montana's David Carr comment by noting that Rodgers and Big Ben forgot to suck when they were getting sacked 50+ times a season (or that Carr still sucked after leaving the Texans).

And that Schaub immediately made the Texans better without significant changes to the O-line.

pehawk

Reaction score
The Hawks used to use play action to offset a line built to maul. Now that teams have caught up with that, it's the RO. Everything looks better offensively when the RO is clicking, period. Otherwise teams don't pay for blitzing, at all.

Bowles will tear them up if they don't.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Just a question here....do you consider doing the offense on their side and what we do to counter it? I am learning a lot. Thanks.

gargantual

Reaction score
pehawk":222isbbj said:
The Hawks used to use play action to offset a line built to maul. Now that teams have caught up with that, it's the RO. Everything looks better offensively when the RO is clicking, period. Otherwise teams don't pay for blitzing, at all.

So you think Russ will be able to get the RO to work against Arizona at this point? You'd think they wouldn't be as good against it as SF is not having Kaep to go against in practice. Or does Logan Thomas fills that role?

pehawk

Reaction score
gargantual":2fmwyeod said:
pehawk":2fmwyeod said:

So you think Russ will be able to get the RO to work against Arizona at this point? You'd think they wouldn't be as good against it as SF is not having Kaep to go against in practice. Or does Logan Thomas fills that role?

RO with Michael or Russ should in theory smoke Bowles blitzes...if its blocked just right. Problem is, Bevell thinks Bowles thinks that too, so he's really going to show him, by going opposite.

Here's Bevell devising the gameplan...arguing with an intern he makes play the part of Bowles. This is a REAL video.

[youtube]dzaL8wiSjnM[/youtube]

gargantual

Reaction score
Bevel seems like a bad penny or something.....

Princess Bride is one of those movies you just have to see, to understand all the references to it (kind of like 2001 for Sci-Fi fans). My 22 year old son couldn't make it through it...... bored to tears.... he didn't even like the poison scene!

These whippersnappers nowadays just don't appreciate the classics...

gargantual

Reaction score
pehawk":2ia34p6i said:
Problem is, Bevell thinks Bowles thinks that too, so he's really going to show him, by going opposite.
Hence the "he's getting too cute" we keep hearing.

Sometimes it's better to just do it like old Holmy, run what you're good at right at them and "Damn the Torpedoes."

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Like when you're trying to run out the clock, and you call a pass play on 3rd and 30, in your own end. One of the worst calls he's ever made, ever.

gargantual

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3fez6hal said:
Like when you're trying to run out the clock, and you call a pass play on 3rd and 30, in your own end. One of the worst calls he's ever made, ever.

That was sure nerve wracking. If this were the old days, that would've been intercepted and handed the game over to them. I guess we're lucky having the things we have to gripe about now.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":3t3brm4n said:
Bowie gets mentioned a few times, I'm assuming Bowie was meant to be Britt?

In a 'gist of it' sense, I think Britt is basically Seattle's version of Bryan Bulaga, good run blocker, technically sound most of the time, but easy to beat in pass pro. Bulaga is #2 in pro-bowl voting for tackles for some unfathomable reason. Funny how fans react to similar players differently.
No, I meant Bailey. I wasn't even drinking. sigh.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3hy5iqlp said:
Just a question here....do you consider doing the offense on their side and what we do to counter it? I am learning a lot. Thanks.
I did watch the defense. The O-line and pressure was topical, so I did that. It takes a lot of time, I would do every play, but yeesh. I end up watching every snap I mention about 10 times to make sure I don't get it too wrong.

The 70 bucks a year that it costs for the all-22 is the best deal going. Addictive as hell.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2faeit9i said:
Seahawkfan80":2faeit9i said:
I did watch the defense. The O-line and pressure was topical, so I did that. It takes a lot of time, I would do every play, but yeesh. I end up watching every snap I mention about 10 times to make sure I don't get it too wrong.

The 70 bucks a year that it costs for the all-22 is the best deal going. Addictive as hell.

Thanks...I shall have to ask my boss if we can afford it...my cat is kinda.....well ......a cat. And too much time watching my computer would be detrimental to my mental capacity. LOL

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Thanks very nice.

Regarding comments on Britt above - He does make me groan any number of times during most games, but I keep telling myself that he's a rookie going up against and battling a defensive position manned by arguably THE most freakishly, incredible athletes in regards to size, strength and speed in ALL of the world of sports... I'm cutting him a little slack.