Aldon Smith arrested for DUI this morning--UPDATE

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Somewhere those two 49er fans are writing another letter to the editor claiming that Seattle's "unsportsmanlike" levels of crowd noise last Sunday drove Smith to go out and get drunk this morning.

General Manager

Reaction score
He also had weed in the car so he's in violation of the league's SAP he should get a 4 game suspension at minimum, given his past problems and this new debacle.

C-Dub

Reaction score
General Manager":3f06jwkj said:
He also had weed in the car so he's in violation of the league's SAP he should get a 4 game suspension at minimum, given his past problems and this new debacle.
Too bad it most likely wouldn't be until next year.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
C-Dub":ozcmir0t said:
Too bad it most likely wouldn't be until next year.
Maybe if we're lucky, we can smirk at 49ers fans early next season when we play them while Aldon's serving a suspension for them about how they have to face the defending Super Bowl champion Seahawks. :D

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Niners can get some pretty good capital for Aldon if they do it quick. Maybe AFC team. Denver? Baltimore, NE? Great player, Very young, but lacks responsibility.

Marvin49

Reaction score
LOL.

Everyone (especially the Niner fan above) needs to just stop.

Aldon was a dumbsh*t for what he did this morning, but he isn't going anywhere for a really long time. The product of Justin Smith thing is complete BS and I'm kinda sad to see a 49er fan saying it. He already has 3.5 sacks this year and not a single one of them is on a stunt.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
dbmack":31ltuz6h said:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 53s Harbaugh: "I expect Aldon to be back at work and play on Sunday."

Really?! This doesn't sound "above reproach" to me. Can Niner fans even justify this one?

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":kajcx6l2 said:
Niners can get some pretty good capital for Aldon if they do it quick. Maybe AFC team. Denver? Baltimore, NE? Great player, Very young, but lacks responsibility.

I'm sure they could get some big capitol, but I don't think they would be inclined to deal away one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. He's worth more to just keep than what they could get in a trade. To much talent, even with all the issues.

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":q5043v6s said:
dbmack":q5043v6s said:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 53s Harbaugh: "I expect Aldon to be back at work and play on Sunday."

Really?! This doesn't sound "above reproach" to me. Can Niner fans even justify this one?

First, That quote is taken out of context every single time it's used here. Harbaugh was talking about players claiming they tested positive for Adderall when the league doesn't specify what they tested positive for. That doesn't get any play because it isn't juicy hyperbole.

He was also referring to performance enhancing drugs, not other substances. I'm not saying PEDs are worse...simply that the quote is being used out of context. Hell...he wasn't even talking specifically about the Seahawks...but leave it to the media to make it a shot at the Seahawks anyway. I don't blame you guys on this one by the way because the media has been drumming it into everyones heads that it was a shot. I saw the interview. He was asked a question and his thoughts about it were IN GENERAL...not about the Seahawks in particular.

As for Aldon playing this week....

I've been thinking about this all morning. I'm kinda of the opinion that he should play. Punishing the team and the fans isn't going to accomplish anything and in reality this is kinda a league matter. If the Niners don't play him and THEN the league suspends him, you are effectively suspending him twice by two different bodies. I can see the "its a league matter" view. I kinda also kinda like that he was forced to practice today even though I'm sure he felt like crap and didn't want to be there. Man up, face your teammates and get to work.

Having said all that though I can easily see why someone would think the opposite. I've been on the fence about it all day.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1z7ssm05 said:
Marvin49":1z7ssm05 said:
He already has 3.5 sacks this year and not a single one of them is on a stunt.

If Justin Smith is on the field, he is helping his pass rushers. Period. Stunts be damned. Come on, Marv.

Well of course...that's true of every player. I'm just sayin he's not getting sacks right now from the much celebrated Justin Smith hold.

Saying he's a product of Justin tho when Justin had 3.5 sacks last year to Aldons 19.5 is simply asinine. Yes...playing with other good players can make you better. Justin has played with ALOT of other players and none has come close to 37 sacks in 34 career games. Are teams doubling Justin in favor of singling up Aldon? If they are they are not too bright.

Justin has 75.5 sacks in just over 12 years. Aldon has 37 in just over 2.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Justin Smith is a 3-4 DE. He's not supposed to collect sacks. Aldon Smith, as a 3-4 OLB, is the guy who gets the sacks. Smith is the guy who takes on O-Linemen and open up gaps for attacking 3-4 OLBs.

In other words, comparing the sack totals of a 3-4 DE and a 3-4 OLB doesn't make sense based upon their respective roles.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":52k679wg said:
Who said anything about holding? Justin Smith has to be double-teamed so much, it lets Aldon face just one guy the vast majority of the time, and not even always a quality guy, at that.

So your point is that every OC in the NFL is complete moron and double teams the guy who has never had more than 8.5 sacks in a season while leaving the goy with 37 sacks in 34 games singled up. Wow. OK.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":lzj6e9x2 said:
Justin Smith is a 3-4 DE. He's not supposed to collect sacks. Aldon Smith, as a 3-4 OLB, is the guy who gets the sacks. Smith is the guy who takes on O-Linemen and open up gaps for attacking 3-4 OLBs.

In other words, comparing the sack totals of a 3-4 DE and a 3-4 OLB doesn't make sense based upon their respective roles.

NOW he's a 3-4 end, but he spent the entire first half of his career as a 4-3 end. Justin also lines up as a DE on third down with Aldon on the opposite side.

Don't get me wrong....Justin is a monster and helps the other members of his line in a big way, but attributing so much of Aldons success to Justin as ill informed. Its just the popular canned response from anyone who doesn't really watch those guys play that often.

MANY, MANY players have lined up next to players similar to Justin Smith. Many players have lined up next to Justin himself. NONE of them has ever even approached anything close to Aldon Smiths production. None of them. Aldon has more sacks in 34 games than any player in the history of the recorded sack. NOBODY has had more (and that list includes Reggie White and Derrick Thomas). Saying that he's just a "product of Justin Smith" is ludicrous.

Now...call him an idiot and a knucklhead for what happened this morning and I'm on the same page. 99% of the people in here who think the Niners should let him go, suspend him, or trade him are just people who are eager to get him out of their division.

rlkats

Reaction score
BS Marvin he should be traded or loss of pay for the year to make an example of him. The league has coddled these prima donnas for far to long. Thats the issue not his sacks

SE174

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3myvou4o said:
Honestly, I generally root for douchebags with too much money and not enough brain cells to get some (hopefully corrective) legal misfortune like the rest of us would instead of buying high-priced lawyers to get them out of it. So it's not really about the laundry, though Harbaugh alluding to how undisciplined the Seahawks are and then having this happen is ALWAYS getting thrown back in his face here. If you are reading a thread like this, you should expect it, Niners fans.
Not to mention Aldon put himself in the legal trouble that he's in. Can't feel real bad that he's paying the consequences for being a dipshit. You're goddamned right we're gonna celebrate it. FTN

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ekaldlt said:
As for Aldon playing this week....

I've been thinking about this all morning. I'm kinda of the opinion that he should play. Punishing the team and the fans isn't going to accomplish anything and in reality this is kinda a league matter. If the Niners don't play him and THEN the league suspends him, you are effectively suspending him twice by two different bodies. I can see the "its a league matter" view. I kinda also kinda like that he was forced to practice today even though I'm sure he felt like crap and didn't want to be there. Man up, face your teammates and get to work.

Having said all that though I can easily see why someone would think the opposite. I've been on the fence about it all day.

Why shouldn't he play? The only reason he wouldn't play is if the 49ers want to make their own emphasis on the situation and sit him out/suspend him. If the 49ers suspend him or not, I'm pretty sure that won't hold affect on what the league will do. Yeah taking him out would affect the team and fans, but it's no different than any other off field violation that leads to a suspension for any other player? The main point of it is to show him that he doesn't have the right to play in the NFL, it is in fact a privilege and that he'll lose a game check on top of that. The outgoing effect of him being gone is what affects the team and fans, him being gone isn't a direct punishment to them and is only enforced because of the actions of himself, but yes it will obviously affect the team and fans.

I think it'll take a little while for the NFL to come out with a punishment or anything for this, so I expect him to be on the field for Sunday. His distant future is out of his hands for now and all he can do is continue to prepare for the next game he'll be able to play in even if that's next week or weeks from now.