Al Michaels Can’t Hide His Bias

Hachtung

Reaction score
Al Michaels has always hated the Hawks.., he got his start in San Francisco... biased as hell!

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I've never considered them to be "anti-Hawk".

Just finished reading an article on the broadcasts this weekend (on the Athletic so can't post here) and it was funny cause there were a few fans in the comment section criticizing them for the exact opposite.....being "Seahawk homers" in their eyes. Which I don't see either.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Joe Tessetore and Booger are biased
Aikman and Buck are biased
Chris Meyers and Darryl Johnson are painfully anti Seahawks

All of the announcers are biased against Seattle. We're a small market team who draw in low ratings unless it's against San Francisco.

Which is why I turn the TV volume on mute and turn on 94.5 FM rock out with your Hawk out here in Spokane and listen to Riable and Wyman!!

AgentDib

Reaction score
TreeRon":2c4nexay said:
AgentDib":2c4nexay said:
I would wager this mostly has to do with situations where the Seahawks are the favorites and Michaels is trying to make the other team sound competitive.
Seahawks weren't the favorites and Al Michaels is not the best ever.
I might be misunderstanding your point here, but the Seahawks were favored by a point and leading throughout the game yesterday. Broadcasters always hype up the trailing team in a "I hope the viewers stick around for the end" sort of way. Also, Jacksonville is in Florida not Georgia.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
AgentDib":2r0b0ft6 said:
TreeRon":2r0b0ft6 said:
AgentDib":2r0b0ft6 said:
I would wager this mostly has to do with situations where the Seahawks are the favorites and Michaels is trying to make the other team sound competitive.
I might be misunderstanding your point here, but the Seahawks were favored by a point and leading throughout the game yesterday. Broadcasters always hype up the trailing team in a "I hope the viewers stick around for the end" sort of way. Also, Jacksonville is in Florida not Georgia.

That must have been because the line was shifting away from philly. I thought they were 3 pt favorites as that was where the money was supposed to be going. I may have read it wrong tho.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2j6nw3er said:
AgentDib":2j6nw3er said:
TreeRon":2j6nw3er said:
AgentDib":2j6nw3er said:

That must have been because the line was shifting away from philly. I thought they were 3 pt favorites as that was where the money was supposed to be going. I may have read it wrong tho.
The week started with Philly favored by 2 and ended with Seattle favored by 1

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Thanks.

Also...to the OP. You are correct. I noted it quite a bit throughout the game how laxadasical he was on most of the hawks plays..but Collinsworth was animated. I wonder if they are supposed to be like opposing forces when commentating? One for the good guys and one for the Cowboys. ???

TreeRon

Reaction score
Seemed to me the "pundits" were picking Philly, in fact there was thread on here stating such.

Osprey

Reaction score
Not sure on the bias, although Al does bring up the SB49 play every chance he gets.

What I am sure about is him starting to sound as confused as Pat Summerall in his last couple years in the booth. Even great announcers need to know when to hang it up.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
I agree it was obvious but it was no where as bad as listening to Buck and Aikmen call Hawk games on Fox. Listening to those two is just horrible for me. No matter what is going on in the game they make it feel like the Hawks should be apologizing for one thing or the other. I don’t know why they call it the way they do but it is totally bias against the Hawks with those two. JMHO

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
BubbaGump":3srryq8u said:
I agree it was obvious but it was no where as bad as listening to Buck and Aikmen call Hawk games on Fox. Listening to those two is just horrible for me. No matter what is going on in the game they make it feel like the Hawks should be apologizing for one thing or the other. I don’t know why they call it the way they do but it is totally bias against the Hawks with those two. JMHO

Unfortunately make ready for Sunday....

Sun 1/12, 6:30 PM ET Seattle @ Green Bay FOX Joe Buck, Troy Aikman

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Michael's is like 112 years old, dude doesn't get excited about anything anymore........other then cashing his fat paychecks for as long as NBC will keep writing them.

Fans hear what they want to hear Aros. I personally don't notice any bias, I assume most fans think as you do, no matter the fan base.

Refs, the league, announcers........fans are hyper critical when it comes to an emotional viewing experience like sports.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Jerhawk":fxp13ra1 said:
All of the announcers are biased against Seattle. We're a small market team who draw in low ratings unless it's against San Francisco.

This used to be true, but no longer. You aren't following the trends, Hawks are one of the biggest draws in the NFL. The game last night was the most watched program since SB 53. Not game, PROGRAM. Hawks consistently put up good viewership numbers under PC and Russell.

balakoth

Reaction score
HawkerD":3t0xj6wg said:
Who cares? What does it matter? So a broadcaster doesn’t like a team as much as you. I don’t get how that matters and why you care.

Because it's a message board and the point of it is to form topics of discussion.

I know.... odd concept right?

chris98251

Reaction score
Jerhawk":7jjsb3hg said:
Joe Tessetore and Booger are biased
Aikman and Buck are biased
Chris Meyers and Darryl Johnson are painfully anti Seahawks

Which is why I turn the TV volume on mute and turn on 94.5 FM rock out with your Hawk out here in Spokane and listen to Riable and Wyman!!

Nah, Seattle is now around the 12th or 10th biggest market these day depending on who you look at. We're not small anymore and those that live near Seattle no notice the problems that go along with it.

No more sleepy small town that has rabid football fans.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3tprnzye said:
BubbaGump":3tprnzye said:

Unfortunately make ready for Sunday....

Sun 1/12, 6:30 PM ET Seattle @ Green Bay FOX Joe Buck, Troy Aikman
I need to find the game broadcast on the radio and turn the TV to mute. It’s going to be a Aaron Rogers and Packers love fest beyond belief from those two.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wy93q0q said:
Michael's is like 112 years old, dude doesn't get excited about anything anymore........other then cashing his fat paychecks for as long as NBC will keep writing them.

Fans hear what they want to hear Aros. I personally don't notice any bias, I assume most fans think as you do, no matter the fan base.

Refs, the league, announcers........fans are hyper critical when it comes to an emotional viewing experience like sports.

I disagree. I remember a time, years ago when Al was vocalizing appropriately (to me) when the Seahawks made big plays. Now, perhaps it's because the Seahawks are no longer that little team up there in the Pac NW making a little noise, but a respected elite team in the league. Perhaps it really does come down to building up the under dog versus praising the better team during a broadcast.

I don't think it's personal. I really think it's just business. But it still bugs me.

Latest posts