A fun tin foil hat thought

Dismas

Reaction score
So, was thinkin yesterday about Wilson, Flynn, the draft, and JS. And I recall reading something once about Pete or John being interviewed at the combine, with Russle RIGHT THERE behind, and how they prolly had to work hard to not look too interested in him.

What if . .. .

Signing Matt Flynn was all a smokescreen?
John knows he wants Russell, and figures he can probably get him in the 3rd round, IF noone else knows he wants him.
How do you fool people into not knowing you are looking at a qb in the draft? Well, if you sign pretty much the only somewhat hot free agent qb to a 20 mil contract, folks probably don't expect yuou to grab an undersized guy in the 3rd .. then nobody trades up to get the 74th pick in the draft, whisking away your plans in one fell swoop.

So that is my theory now, JS signed Matt Flynn as a diversion to keep anyone from stealing RW away from him!

SharkHawk

Reaction score
That's a pretty cool theory, especially considering how much total we have wrapped up in QB's. It's not that much compared to most teams.

I figure it was more.... ONE of these guys has got to do well. But signing Flynn probably certainly did throw people off of the scent.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Well, they probably weren't totally enamored with tjack, we knew charlie was outta here and portis has a LONG way to go before he's even serviceable so even if they drafted a starting caliber qb they knew they were going to need a back up as well. Couple that with competition at every position and your smokescreen theory, its good strategy.

A London Hawk

Reaction score
Story I heard was that JS had to be talked down from taking Russell in the 2nd round.

Latest posts