85 Bears. 2000 Ravens. '13 Hawks?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Two weeks, 2 quarterbacks that scare the holy hell out of defenses held to precisely dick.

Are we seeing the emergence of one of THOSE defenses, the ones that get talked about for decades? I am not comparing the personnel of those defenses, we are in the new offensive rules era, but the assemblage of talent here is nuts.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Best part, as has been mentioned, they aren't even at full strength.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Well, it's entirely possible our PPGA is going to go down after the 22nd.

If our D-line plays the year like they did last night, it's definitely a possibility. Brees and Ryan can't hurt us if they can't buy time.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HawksFTW":3rmqfdj8 said:
I know?
Irvin, Clemons, Bennett, Avril, Schofield. Holy Sheeeit! Teams better run all the time, passing looks like a fools errand.

It feels like this D can hang a donut on anyone, anytime.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I looked up the stats on NFL.com. The only team ahead of us in "Total" Defense is Pittsburgh.

They're also the closest in points scored against with 16.

Pittsburgh has only played 1 game.

Stephen SeaHawking

Reaction score
It is very plausible. That was probably the worst game of Kaepernick's career, a 20.1 passer rating with 3 INTs and no TDs. Cam Newton had the lowest amount of yards of HIS career against us. We are capable of being on that level - especially at full strength.

themunn

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":6wb4kxyo said:
I looked up the stats on NFL.com. The only team ahead of us in "Total" Defense is Pittsburgh.

They're also the closest in points scored against with 16.

Pittsburgh has only played 1 game.

They play the Bengals tonight so I fully expect those numbers to change.

Also, San Francisco had averaged 27 points per game with kaepernick as a starter before last night, which would have been good for 6th in the league last year over the course of a full season.

Remember one thing though - nobody will remember or care how good the defense was if we don't win the superbowl

Hawks46

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1a463mu8 said:
HawksFTW":1a463mu8 said:
I know?
Irvin, Clemons, Bennett, Avril, Schofield. Holy Sheeeit! Teams better run all the time, passing looks like a fools errand.

Yea, it sure feels that way when you consider that 1/3 of our defense are second stringers right now. Might want to throw Browner's name in there too as he didn't play last night.

60niners

Reaction score
I think at home, they are as good as anyone, and maybe as good as anyone has ever been. We need to see how they fare against good offenses on the road, that should be the key.

I don't think they'll match the 2000 Ravens PPG stat... I don't think anyone will match that in a LONG time. That stat is slightly skewed, not through no fault of the Ravens. In 2000 the league had a serious lack of competitive teams, and the Ravens' division was horrific. Terrible QB play and just a lot of bad teams coupled with a great defense helped contribute to that defense being so prolific.

Exittium

Reaction score
I think the 12th should try and break the Record attempt during the Saints game... brees is a good QB but I've never though much of their coach.. something for me just feels off with him.. especially since the dirty bounty stuff like It felt like he didn't put up a fight. (I'm not supporting it either btw im just saying usually if your not involved you fight and prove a point.. )

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
60niners":18ke11ju said:
I think at home, they are as good as anyone, and maybe as good as anyone has ever been. We need to see how they fare against good offenses on the road, that should be the key.

I don't think they'll match the 2000 Ravens PPG stat... I don't think anyone will match that in a LONG time. That stat is slightly skewed, not through no fault of the Ravens. In 2000 the league had a serious lack of competitive teams, and the Ravens' division was horrific. Terrible QB play and just a lot of bad teams coupled with a great defense helped contribute to that defense being so prolific.
I don't doubt any of that. I do think, however, that this team has a chance to be the best D of the post easy offense rules era.

Ninerg

Reaction score
As a Niner fan and as much as I hate it, Ifhave to give the Seahawks their props. Seahawks defense is awesome. You guy smashed us again. I don't what team out there that we be able to penetrate you guys defense.

Ninerg

Reaction score
Also, the answer is yes, you guys defense, at full strength, could be as good as those great defenses of the past.

edogg23

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing Scottemojo, this defense has the talant to do it if they can get and stay healthy IMO.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Atlanta on the road will be a good measuring stick, hold them to 17 and we can talk top 5 ever

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
IIRC, the Bears D would ease up a bit on some of the awful teams, then just kick ass on the rest. Except for the Fins.

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
lol no offense, but this thread is an insult to the '85 Bears. Everyone just needs to calm down.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1guf7286 said:
HawksFTW":1guf7286 said:
I know?

Dude, just think about it ... they can keep rotating those guys through like a revolving door, keeping them fresh so that the group is just as relentless in the 4th Quarter as they are in the 1st. Geez, usually teams are LUCKY to have ONE ... maybe TWO dominant pass rushers -- the Hawks have got multiple guys who could log double digit sacks if they were given enough playing time. Abso-lutely freaking right! :shock:

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
BuddyRyans46":20tzzpge said:
lol no offense, but this thread is an insult to the '85 Bears. Everyone just needs to calm down.

You know, in many ways you're right. As Pete Carroll says, this Seahawks team hasn't won anything. Seriously, what have they accomplished? They came within 31 seconds of the NFC Championship Game last season ... but they haven't won multiple Super Bowls ... let alone even one. Granted.

However, I saw the 1985 Bears play (and I know there are several on this board who did as well.) With all due respect to that team (that was admittedly one of the very best I've ever seen) ... this Seahawks team (as it stands right now in this moment), I think is AS dominant as that team ever was. Dent, Otis Wilson, Hampton, Duerson, Singletary ... they were a whale of a defense. No doubt about it.

One of the very best in the history of the NFL. And on the one hand, comparing this Seahawks team to that Bears team is a bit premature.

But on the other hand, if you take a look at the talent up and down this roster that the Seattle organization has compiled ... and watched what they've done on the field since the middle of last season to now, it's hard to argue against the fact that they've got the stuff (IF this keeps up) to be one of the best defenses in the history of the league. In many ways, this version of the Seahawks defense is much like that 1985 Bears Team -- they didn't just beat you ... they destroyed you, beat you down, and had you begging for mercy. Teams feared them and many players did NOT want to play that Bears defense. Right now, that is exactly the way that this Seahawks team plays as well. As always, only time will tell but right now, it's saying that this Seahawks team is a force to be reckoned with.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Being 2-0 and having played great defense for two weeks, but to compare to the top defenses in the NFL of all time? Put down the pipe.

Latest posts