6 days until Preseason-Who you watching?

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Ruminator":2nppqsbe said:
Not that he was ever thought much of during his brief tenure as a Seahawk, it'll be a little weird seeing Whitehurst play against us for a couple series or however long.

Wasn't ever thought much of? To this day, I'm still haunted and retroactively embarrassed by the "Char-lie! Char-lie!" chants that I heard in the stadium. They make the "Dil-fer" chants during Hass' first season seem thought out and well reasoned by comparison.

kearly

Reaction score
I was a Dilfer chanter. I had seen the team make the playoffs once in 12 seasons of fandom at that point, and Seattle might have made the playoffs had they switched to Dilfer just a little sooner. Hasselbeck was like a poor man's Kevin Kolb in 2001. Ironically, being benched for Dilfer was maybe the best thing that ever happened to him.

The Charlie chants were stupid though, and I'm pretty sure a large percentage of the Charlie chanters wanted Whitehurst to start so we could lose for draft position and ditch Whitehurst sooner. I was in the draft stock boat in 2010, but not in 2011. The 2010 team was the same pile of crap that the 2009 team was but with insanely good special teams. Special teams alone probably won us a couple games that year. The 2011 team was really good- they might have made the playoffs if Tjack stays fully healthy all year. Everyone that chanted Charlie in 2011 deserves a Darwin award.

kearly

Reaction score
Christine Michael is the player I am most excited to see in game action. Alvin Bailey is a close second. Kearse is 3rd. They are the three new or unknown players that seem to be grabbing the most headlines right now. That plus I have always been geeked over Christine Michael. He's like this preseason's Russell Wilson for me.

I expect Irvin to look sushi-raw at LB, but hopefully he shows enough athletic ability to be worth having hopes for.

I'm curious to see how big the dropoff is from Clemons to Avril.

I'm interested to know if the hype for Kearse, Maxwell, and Howard is justified.

I'm eager to see Tony McDaniel play, because I know nothing about him, and he's got a very good chance of being a starter this year.

Will AZ castoffs Schofield and Williams justify the excitement that PC/JS had when acquiring them?

Is Antoine Winfield still a badass?

Will KJ Wright and Chris Harper make me look dumb? Will Christine Michael, Allen Bradford, Ty Powell, and Craig Wilkins make me look smart?

Spencer Ware is going to be fun to watch.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
kearly":y3wxpsht said:
The Charlie chants were stupid though, and I'm pretty sure a large percentage of the Charlie chanters wanted Whitehurst to start so we could lose for draft position and ditch Whitehurst sooner. I was in the draft stock boat in 2010, but not in 2011. The 2010 team was the same pile of crap that the 2009 team was but with insanely good special teams. Special teams alone probably won us a couple games that year. The 2011 team was really good- they might have made the playoffs if Tjack stays fully healthy all year. Everyone that chanted Charlie in 2011 deserves a Darwin award.

Disagree to a crazy extent on fans rooting for Charlie for draft position. You're giving the layman fan FAR too much credit. That might work for maybe 5% of the internet fans. But when it came to the fans in the stadium, it couldn't have been farther from the truth. I lived that in the stadium. Those fans chanting Charlie really wanted Charlie. They were the same fans that would say, "Awww, poor Charlie," when he'd come into a game and throw a pick. It was maddening and embarrassing at the same time. There was this nonsensical hopeful theory that CBJ could be the team's savior if given the chance. It was based on nothing, and only fans not paying attention ran with it. But there was enough out there that did so that made it a thing. A thing that I cringe when remembering.

It's how it goes. Football is a popular sport. Much more popular with the masses than it is with us dorks who actually pay attention to the in's and out's of the game. Therefore we're left with a gigantic portion of fans who know absolutely nothing. These are the fans who thought a garbage player like Whitehurst was worth "giving a chance" and who continue on today by thinking Brady Quinn is better than Tarvaris Jackson. I really wish it wasn't the case. But a whole flipping lot of professed football fans really don't know what they're talking about. Go figure. :192215:

cdallan

Reaction score
The O Line, specifically the two OG positions as they are the only two positions on the team where I don't have a fairly good idea as to who will be starting.

I will be monitoring the situation closely.

kearly

Reaction score
I've been at the games, and I dunno, I kind of feel that the regulars are as much a minority as the internet version of the fanbase is, just in a different way. Point stands though. I never really saw anyone outside the stadium who actually believed in Whitehurst the way you described, by my experience at the games would support your version. I am proud to be a Seahawks fan, but there were some gamedays I was a lot less proud. And that was even true after we won in blowout fashion. Seems like the dumbest fans always get tickets, and then stand out like a sore thumb. You know they are just 10% of the whole at most, most fans are well behaved and smart, but the thing about vocal minorities is that they don't feel like a minority when they are so obnoxious.

I think this sub-group of fans at the game just want to win no matter how it happens, whether it's sustainable or not, and usually without thinking about it too much. There was a degree of mystery with Whitehurst, I think that's what some fans latched onto. That plus very few people really know how to evaluate talent. Even most bloggers suck horribly at it.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
kearly":2hoj044p said:
I've been at the games, and I dunno, I kind of feel that the regulars are as much a minority as the internet version of the fanbase is, just in a different way. Point stands though. I never really saw anyone outside the stadium who actually believed in Whitehurst the way you described, by my experience at the games would support your version. I am proud to be a Seahawks fan, but there were some gamedays I was a lot less proud. And that was even true after we won in blowout fashion. Seems like the dumbest fans always get tickets, and then stand out like a sore thumb. You know they are just 10% of the whole at most, most fans are well behaved and smart, but the thing about vocal minorities is that they don't feel like a minority when they are so obnoxious.

I think this sub-group of fans at the game just want to win no matter how it happens, whether it's sustainable or not, and usually without thinking about it too much. There was a degree of mystery with Whitehurst, I think that's what some fans latched onto. That plus very few people really know how to evaluate talent. Even most bloggers suck horribly at it.

See, yeah. I disagree that the fans at the stadium are a minority. They're much more indicative of the majority than us internet fans. We're the weird geeks who obsess over details, stats, etc. The majority are fans who just go, "Go Seahawks! Win the Super Bowl! Blaaaaaaah!"

I work a very blue collar job and with a large number of different people. Sports is often a topic of discussion. It is really sad just how few of the people I talk sports with at work really don't know that much beyond things like "Beast Mode! Legion of Boom! Russell Wilson." When you have a good team like we do, it's easier for such casual type of fans to focus on good players like that. But in not as good years, the same types of fans are forced to go for "I heard that this Whitehurst guy might be the next big thing for us. Go Charlie!" I can't tell you how many guys at work I argued with over Wilson vs Flynn last year. It was insane. They were all going off nothing but listening to Softy get excited about Flynn. That was it. Period. That was why they had the opinion they had. No other reasons. Yeah. Yikes.

If I've learned anything in my time on this Earth, it's that the lowest common denominator rules all. And it's most definitely a much larger portion of society than it's opposition. Whatever the topic. Whatever the issue. The dumb, lesser informed rule all. Why? Because there's much more people who can't bother to take the time to cultivate knowledge/good taste than there are those who do.

Two and a Half Men and CSI average something like 15 million viewers a week. Parks and Recreation, Breaking Bad and Mad Men get around 2-3 million. The Wire, arguably the best TV show of all time, got under 1 million. I could go on and on talking about the amount of box office films like Transformers and Grown Ups bring in. But I rather not continue to nauseate myself. The point is good things rarely are enjoyed by the masses. For the reason that good taste/knowledge takes effort. Effort is something most people cannot be bothered with. And the exact same rule applies to the amount of knowledgeable football fans. Seriously, Kip. You know how many people out there would be willing to put in the time you do, trying to understand and learn about football? Like a half of a half of a %. I wish I was exaggerating.

Just because some of us here might know what we're talking about, don't make the mistake in thinking most others do as well. That's a gigantic assumption. One not worth making.

You are correct though in that a lot of fans just want to win, regardless the reality of the situation/player. They want to think the next guy is going to be the next big find. It's the reason we've had fans think Mike Teel was anything more than a 6th round draft pick that unless for Tim Ruskell, wouldn't have even been drafted. But this brings me back to the misinformed fan point. If you pay attention and do your homework, you'd have known on draft day that Rutgers fans were surprised that Teel was even drafted. And you'd subsequently have known that expecting anything of such a player was beyond foolish. But once again, not everyone is working with the same set of information/knowledge. And that is my entire point. Most people aren't. We're the minority. We're the weirdos here.

Johnny

Reaction score
I know what the first units can do, So I'm not to interested in watching them thursday.. I want to see the new additions for this team such as Rookies, Free Agents, Players that didn't play much last year, and also the switch that Irvin & Wright will be making this year.

But if I had to pick one player to focus in on this thursday it would have to be Christine Michael... I love this guys upside.

cdallan

Reaction score
I think the difference the last couple of years, and why there is less debate on these pages around player selection/retention, is that we all trust PC/JS in whatever they do. We knew Holgren was stubborn to the point of crazy, and Mora was out of his depth, but when the current brain trust make a decision we don't try to second guess it. Well, much. So when they say KJ will play the weakside and Malcolm Smith the strong side, we think "That makes no sense. They must have something up their sleeves."

It's like Avon Barksdale, you don't ask them what they are doing. If they did it they had a reason for it, and if they didn't do it they had a reason for it too.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
SeaTown81":moawwgy6 said:
kearly":moawwgy6 said:

See, yeah. I disagree that the fans at the stadium are a minority. They're much more indicative of the majority than us internet fans. We're the weird geeks who obsess over details, stats, etc. The majority are fans who just go, "Go Seahawks! Win the Super Bowl! Blaaaaaaah!"

I work a very blue collar job and with a large number of different people. Sports is often a topic of discussion. It is really sad just how few of the people I talk sports with at work really don't know that much beyond things like "Beast Mode! Legion of Boom! Russell Wilson." When you have a good team like we do, it's easier for such casual type of fans to focus on good players like that. But in not as good years, the same types of fans are forced to go for "I heard that this Whitehurst guy might be the next big thing for us. Go Charlie!" I can't tell you how many guys at work I argued with over Wilson vs Flynn last year. It was insane. They were all going off nothing but listening to Softy get excited about Flynn. That was it. Period. That was why they had the opinion they had. No other reasons. Yeah. Yikes.

If I've learned anything in my time on this Earth, it's that the lowest common denominator rules all. And it's most definitely a much larger portion of society than it's opposition. Whatever the topic. Whatever the issue. The dumb, lesser informed rule all. Why? Because there's much more people who can't bother to take the time to cultivate knowledge/good taste than there are those who do.

Two and a Half Men and CSI average something like 15 million viewers a week. Parks and Recreation, Breaking Bad and Mad Men get around 2-3 million. The Wire, arguably the best TV show of all time, got under 1 million. I could go on and on talking about the amount of box office films like Transformers and Grown Ups bring in. But I rather not continue to nauseate myself. The point is good things rarely are enjoyed by the masses. For the reason that good taste/knowledge takes effort. Effort is something most people cannot be bothered with. And the exact same rule applies to the amount of knowledgeable football fans. Seriously, Kip. You know how many people out there would be willing to put in the time you do, trying to understand and learn about football? Like a half of a half of a %. I wish I was exaggerating.

Just because some of us here might know what we're talking about, don't make the mistake in thinking most others do as well. That's a gigantic assumption. One not worth making.

You are correct though in that a lot of fans just want to win, regardless the reality of the situation/player. They want to think the next guy is going to be the next big find. It's the reason we've had fans think Mike Teel was anything more than a 6th round draft pick that unless for Tim Ruskell, wouldn't have even been drafted. But this brings me back to the misinformed fan point. If you pay attention and do your homework, you'd have known on draft day that Rutgers fans were surprised that Teel was even drafted. And you'd subsequently have known that expecting anything of such a player was beyond foolish. But once again, not everyone is working with the same set of information/knowledge. And that is my entire point. Most people aren't. We're the minority. We're the weirdos here.

:roll: Oh quit it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
mr.stlouis":3k8je5ia said:
I'm watching Seattle's OL to see how comfortable Wilson is.

Not a bad thing to keep an eye on...Our line did very well in run blocking last year, but pass pro was a completely different story. : /

kearly

Reaction score
SeaTown81":tjvc68b6 said:
a bunch of stuff

My experience is very different. I worked a low wage job with a lot of people in their 20s and 30s and most of them follow football on a semi-intellectual level (a lot of them participate in fantasy leagues, etc).

I remember being at a few games in 2007, and thinking how it sounded like the whole stadium was booing Shaun (which to me was as stupid as chanting Charlie). But when I actually looked around, it was really only a few fans that were doing it, most fans were just sitting in their seats with their mouths shut, and I also saw a lot of non-booing fans getting pissed off at those who were booing. Then I went home and watched the broadcast and the Shaun boos didn't seem nearly as loud. I wasn't present for the Charlie chant games so maybe you are right, but for the record they were nearly inaudible on the broadcast. I think sound can be a little deceptive in that stadium.

You are 100% on the money when you said that good teams lower their fanbases IQ. Casual fans are typically the least informed, and also the last to climb aboard. Good analogy with TV/Movies. There are a few minor factors (regarding TV shows) I could point to that would undercut the point somewhat, but I don't want to bring them up because I think that you were on the money regardless. Most people are bland and they like bland stuff.

And in terms of effort, probably more like .0000025% than 0.25%. A lot of the writeups I did in 2011 and 2012 took an entire day to do (published around 5am sometimes), and during draft season I typically average a 3 to 1 ratio of draft coverage to sleep. Point stands, just sayin'.

I just think that inbetween the dumbass level and the intellectual level there is a very large swath of fans with at least a little common sense who are reasonably informed. That's the impression I've received, anyway.

Keep doing what you do Seatown. How is it that I have almost twice as many posts as you now? You are definitely on my short-list of users I wish posted a lot more.

Atradees

Reaction score
I chanted Charlie(vs the Falcons); I just wanted 3 less turnovers that game and we had no one else. That was handled nicely and cleanly by the FO. Hass got a great offer from the Titans. Yeah for him. Nuff said.

I want to see if we can rush the passer on any level. Had a hard time with that last year. Williams and Hill
will be the rooks. Avril is he for real for just part of a good line with monster DTs-pretty similiar with Bennett in Tampa.

Adopt a Rookie should get a look. Hope he shines.(C-Mike)

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
SeaTown81":qbeqv8cg said:
There was this nonsensical hopeful theory that CBJ could be the team's savior if given the chance. It was based on nothing,:
Actually, he did sort of look like Jesus so there was that..

CharlieWhitehurstJesus-300x158.png

WH_jesus.png

CANHawk

Reaction score
Far and away i'm most interested in seeing Jordan Hill. We need a 3 tech that can get penetration in the worst way...

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":7ravgeme said:
Far and away i'm most interested in seeing Jordan Hill. We need a 3 tech that can get penetration in the worst way...

I'm not sure that's appropriate in a game. Might be able to pull something like the old Andre the Giant sneak thumb move off...that's discreet.

I would also like to add Alvin Bailey in action. Never hurt in college, strong as an ox (*which would be a great reality show), sounds like he knows what to do in just about every situation, and can play both guard positions. TC can fix all the small holes in his game, and teach him how to annihilate those lining up against him more consistently. Needless to say, very excited.

Another area that's starting to peak my interest is how the linebackers work together with Leroy Hill being gone. He was pretty damn slow last year, so having more speed on the field can't hurt. Curious to see how the new adjustments here are handled.

Seattle was in a great position during the draft, which let them be flexible and creative (and left a lot of people scratching their heads at certain picks). However, there seems to be a lot of ndividuals that if they pan out have the potential to do great things in the NFL (Williams, Hill, Harper, Bailey, Willson come to mind), and for a team making a Championship run at that.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I want to see the pass rush generated from our 3-4 looks. This means Avril, Irvin, Schofield, Mawoya (I got the spelling right, correct?), etc.

I also want to see how Avril, Irvin, and Wright move in space at LB and how good they are in coverage.

I also am excited to see Hill, Williams, and Bennett. I just want that line to generate pressure consistently, but if they are even better than that and are a near-elite pass-rushing unit, this could be an '00-Ravens-like year for the defense. No overstatement.