49ers/Seahawks Should Have An Annual Turkey Day Game...

Barthawk

Reaction score
It would be a smart move for the NFL to do that.. take the most current rivalry and make it the late one on T-giving.. the only caveat would be to give the six teams that play on T-giving a bye the week before.. that makes too much sense though

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't care if it's the Hawks and Niners, but the NFL should stop the nonsense of always having the Cowboys and Lions.

Let the league pick the games each year, at least that way we have a good chance of 3 quality games..........instead of seeing terrible Lions and Cowboys teams year after year.

drdiags

Reaction score
The League probably isn't going to stop featuring the Lions and Cowboys on Thanksgiving, just too much tradition involved. If they continued to feature the Lions after their 0-16 season, you can bet those games are etched into their scheduling algorithms. As far as the 9ers vs Seahawks, I wonder about the sustaining power long term of the so-called best rivalry game in sports (not just the NFL).

Just imagine the NFL locking into this game and in 5 yrs or so, the NFC West turning back into the NFC Worst. Would the country really have been salivating for the Mora led Seahawks vs the Mike Singletary led 9ers?

As a Seahawks fan, I love it since the travel is short and the extended days off until the next game as well as the prime-time opportunity. As a league, I would take it year-by-year. In the 2000's and until recently, everybody nationwide was salivating over Steelers/Ravens due to the big personalities and ferocious physical play. Now that belongs to Seahawks vs 9ers.

Just some random thoughts. I wouldn't complain if they made the game a staple. Or at least consider it for the next 2-3 yrs.

OP
OP
dopeboy206

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I see why the Cowgirls and Redskins play every Thanksgivings because they have that Cowboys/Indians thing going and that is American as it can get not to mention both teams are storied and has more tradition than most football teams. But the Lions?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The Lions are the only guaranteed Thanksgiving Day team, as far as I know. Their owner way back in the day invented the Thanksgiving Day game.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2r128ey5 said:
The Lions are the only guaranteed Thanksgiving Day team, as far as I know. Their owner way back in the day invented the Thanksgiving Day game.
???

You don't think the Cowboys are guaranteed a Thanksgiving day game?

OP
OP
dopeboy206

dopeboy206

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2dvgsz59 said:

And the Cowboys and Redskins aren't...?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Incorrect. Only Detroit and Dallas are permanent due to deals made when Tex Schram got the Cowboys. Detroit just followed his lead.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
dopeboy206":rpc9id0q said:
RolandDeschain":rpc9id0q said:
And the Cowboys and Redskins aren't...?
Where do you get Redskins from? They aren't Thanksgiving Day regulars.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Actually I'm fine with the Cowboys and Lions hosting Tday games. There's usually so much commotion going on around our place on Thanksgiving Day that it would interrupt a good football game. If interruptions are inevitable, I'd rather they occur during a boring, meaningless game like Bears-Lions or Cowboys-Deadskins than interrupt something really good like Niners-Hawks.