49ers car crash continues

chris98251

Reaction score
I think they wanted Gase, they didn't want to pay him, hired Tomsula cheap and was hoping to get Gase in as a OC cheaper then as a coach and have the best of both worlds. It backfired on both barrels, they are on the hook for a long term deal now with Tomsula and still need a coach. Baalkes arrogance cost them the money, not Tomsula.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
chris98251":220jqrft said:
I think they wanted Gase, they didn't want to pay him, hired Tomsula cheap and was hoping to get Gase in as a OC cheaper then as a coach and have the best of both worlds. It backfired on both barrels, they are on the hook for a long term deal now with Tomsula and still need a coach. Baalkes arrogance cost them the money, not Tomsula.

What's this based on?

There has been a ton of good reporting on how everything went down and it's nothing like this scenario.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":3sckw7pf said:

IMO, that's BS.

I think Baalke wanted Gase and York wanted to retain Tomsula somehow. In this case, I think York hurt the process.

When Gase balked at the idea of keeping Tomsula as the DC, they moved on to hiring Tomsula and tried to get Gase to run the offense, but they had burned that bridge.

I've defended York in the past and I think he gets way too much flack, but IMO he was the one who pushed the hardest for Tomsula and effectively screwed the pooch. Probably also why Baalke was retained.

If this was about money then they wouldn't have let Tomsula walk away with 14 mil for one season. The money aspect while a nice story has never really made any sense.

chris98251

Reaction score
Marvin49":en9f3ye0 said:
chris98251":en9f3ye0 said:

IMO, that's BS.

I think Baalke wanted Gase and York wanted to retain Tomsula somehow. In this case, I think York hurt the process.

When Gase balked at the idea of keeping Tomsula as the DC, they moved on to hiring Tomsula and tried to get Gase to run the offense, but they had burned that bridge.

I've defended York in the past and I think he gets way too much flack, but IMO he was the one who pushed the hardest for Tomsula and effectively screwed the pooch. Probably also why Baalke was retained.

If this was about money then they wouldn't have let Tomsula walk away with 14 mil for one season. The money aspect while a nice story has never really made any sense.

The signed him for years instead of a show me contract and now have to eat it, thinking they would have their cake and eat it also, they didn't predict they team would basically retire, quit and not show up, then the embarrassment of no fans showing up.

They are forced to now pay Tomsula, and a credible coach to bring fans back and hope to right the ship.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":1ndkvnht said:
Marvin49":1ndkvnht said:
chris98251":1ndkvnht said:

IMO, that's BS.

The signed him for years instead of a show me contract and now have to eat it, thinking they would have their cake and eat it also, they didn't predict they team would basically retire, quit and not show up, then the embarrassment of no fans showing up.

They are forced to now pay Tomsula, and a credible coach to bring fans back and hope to right the ship.

All I'll say is that the way you are portraying the Gase situation isn't the way the rumors have portrayed it. Dunno if rumors are true, but from the day Tomsula was hired the rumor has been that the sticking point with Gase was Tomsula and that he all but had the job before he balked at keeping him.

He was never technically offered the job.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2grpp4am said:
Popeyejones":2grpp4am said:
I couldn't make heads or tails of what peaches was referencing (assuming he even knows, of course).

I'm referring to Marvin believing that Jed was/is sincere when he gives press conferences. Same with Trent. Marvin went on about how he thinks Jed was great in this most recent presser, talking about how sorry he is, and how he believes they have the ammunition to get better, etc. They don't. that's a shitty roster full of shitty players, Baalke is a shitty GM and Jed's a shitty owner who's about to hire another shitty coach to coach their shitty players.

Couple things:

1) Gotcha. You were referencing an unquoted post on a previous page that was made a couple days ago. I don't think anybody knew what you were talking about. It makes more sense now.

2) Marvin didn't make any claims about if Jed York was sincere or not. He said that Jed York said all the right things. Jed York IMO did say all the right things, which he hasn't done in the past. As for if anything he said was true or not, that is obviously an open question, and it's an open question that Marvin noted at the end of his post, and which I questioned too on this page of the thread.

If we can be honest with each other, here's what I think will happen:

If the Seahawks get knocked out of the playoffs by the Cardinals Bruce Arians will magically become the new immoral super villain in your eyes, and you'll quickly lose interest in the villainy of Jed York, just as what happened when the villainy transferred over from Jim Harbaugh to York. York will become to you what Marvin and I have already stated he is: in over his head and incompetent. If the Seahawks get knocked out of the playoffs by the Panthers replace Arians with Cam or Rivera. If they lose and the losses are close enough the super villains will become the refs.

Basically, that Jed York is to you all things disreputable and evil (rather than just ineffectual and incompetent) is an anachronistic hangover from a very short-lived competition between the 49ers and the Seahawks that doesn't exist anymore.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":lpfufdtr said:
peachesenregalia":lpfufdtr said:
Popeyejones":lpfufdtr said:
I couldn't make heads or tails of what peaches was referencing (assuming he even knows, of course).

I'm referring to Marvin believing that Jed was/is sincere when he gives press conferences. Same with Trent. Marvin went on about how he thinks Jed was great in this most recent presser, talking about how sorry he is, and how he believes they have the ammunition to get better, etc. They don't. that's a shitty roster full of shitty players, Baalke is a shitty GM and Jed's a shitty owner who's about to hire another shitty coach to coach their shitty players.

Couple things:

1) Gotcha. You were referencing an unquoted post on a previous page that was made a couple days ago. I don't think anybody knew what you were talking about. It makes more sense now.

2) Marvin didn't make any claims about if Jed York was sincere or not. He said that Jed York said all the right things. Jed York IMO did say all the right things, which he hasn't done in the past. As for if anything he said was true or not, that is obviously an open question, and it's an open question that Marvin noted at the end of his post, and which I questioned too on this page of the thread.

If the Seahawks get knocked out of the playoffs by the Cardinals Bruce Arians will magically become the new immoral super villain in your eyes, and you'll quickly lose interest in the villainy of Jed York, just as what happened when the villainy transferred over from Jim Harbaugh to York. York will become to you what Marvin and I have already stated he is: in over his head and incompetent. If the Seahawks get knocked out of the playoffs by the Panthers replace Arians with Cam or Rivera. If they lose and the losses are close enough the super villains will become the refs.

Basically, that Jed York is to you all things disreputable and evil (rather than just ineffectual and incompetent) is an anachronistic hangover from a very short-lived competition between the 49ers and the Seahawks that doesn't exist anymore.
I can't speak for Peaches, but I think York is wonderful and doing a great job. Hopefully he is running the Niners forever.

Jville

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2d7prgi7 said:
Popeyejones":2d7prgi7 said:
peachesenregalia":2d7prgi7 said:
Popeyejones":2d7prgi7 said:

Couple things:

I can't speak for Peaches, but I think York is wonderful and doing a great job. Hopefully he is running the Niners forever.

Jed seems content with the status quo ...... 2Fwp content2Fuploads2F20122F082Frichiie rich

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":yfymzq99 said:

I think he probably just likes laughing at Jed York because he's basically a 13-year-old boy wearing his dads suit, rapidly turning a once glorious rival into a complete shambles.

It's very enjoyable Peaches.

The rivalry died when Harbaugh left. Now you're just a punching bag and two guaranteed wins a season.

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":373xtcrv said:
Popeyejones":373xtcrv said:

um. OK. Not really anywhere to even start THAT conversation.

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":35adf0mm said:
theENGLISHseahawk":35adf0mm said:
Popeyejones":35adf0mm said:

I think he probably just likes laughing at Jed York because he's basically a 13-year-old boy wearing his dads suit, rapidly turning a once glorious rival into a complete shambles.

It's very enjoyable Peaches.

The rivalry died when Harbaugh left. Now you're just a punching bag and two guaranteed wins a season.

Rob, like Tim Kawakami, is right on the money here. I don't think york is evil, just a twat, and the fact that Marvin keeps apologizing for him and propping him up is just comedy gold.

Dude...when did I apologize for him. Quit making stuff up. LOL.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3ig9ta4o said:
peachesenregalia":3ig9ta4o said:
Popeyejones":3ig9ta4o said:

Couple things:

Yeah...not quite sure how saying he's incompetent equals to him me buying everything York is saying. He apologized in the Press Conference which I didn't really expect and said he heard the fans...but those are just words.

Lets see who the hire is (which is what I said before, but that's a less interesting storyline than "Marvins spinning again"). If anything, I'm saying he's not cheap. He's something worse.

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1yb34w2d said:
'Hey Adam, would you like the job? By the way, Trent's staying and making all the personal decisions and you have to work with our hand-picked defensive coordinator'.

And Marvin is trying to argue it's not about authority.

Spin factor 1000.

It's about time Marvin had an avatar, so I made him one.

Attachments

• Marvin.gif
    Marvin.gif
    135.1 KB · Views: 685

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":lk931bu8 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":lk931bu8 said:
'Hey Adam, would you like the job? By the way, Trent's staying and making all the personal decisions and you have to work with our hand-picked defensive coordinator'.

Spin factor 1000.

Still waiting for someone to tell me what I'm spinning. LOL.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":2bdnvor6 said:
kearly":2bdnvor6 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2bdnvor6 said:

Spin factor 1000.

That's not very polite, Marv. When someone gives you a gif, you're supposed to say "thank you".

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":2sh8w6jg said:
Marvin49":2sh8w6jg said:
kearly":2sh8w6jg said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2sh8w6jg said:

Spin factor 1000.

That's not very polite, Marv. When someone gives you a gif, you're supposed to say "thank you".

I-See-What-You-Did-There-GIF.gif

Jville

Reaction score
Kawakami: What York does, not what he says, is what will matter >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.contracostatimes.com/tim-kawakami/ci_29347260/kawakami-what-york-does-not-what-he-says[/urltargetblank]

Yorks aren't hiring a football-minded team president. They're just not doing it.

They don't want anybody else on the throne. It's them, or nobody.

Jed York only uses Eddie D.'s name when Jed is in trouble.

And he always overdoes displaying the Eddie D. shield -- and those five Super Bowl trophies -- when he's in trouble.

the most interesting structural part of the presser was the lack of definition about general manager Trent Baalke's true role in the next days and months.

Baalke is leading the coaching search -- his third as 49ers G.M. -- but York was blurry about how the football operation will work when they come upon a candidate they want to hire.

Will that new coach report to Baalke on all matters? Or might Baalke have to give up some of his treasured personnel power if the new coach wants it?

Unclear. I think the Yorks are setting it up for Baalke to prove it or lose it with this hire: Get a great coach or else we'll peel off your power.

Which is not a stable situation but will be intriguing for coaches who might think they can walk into an interview, charm the Yorks, get Baalke temporarily on board ... then grab at the power.

Kawakami: What York does, not what he says, is what will matter >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.contracostatimes.com/tim-kawakami/ci_29347260/kawakami-what-york-does-not-what-he-says[/urltargetblank]

Jed (status quo) press conference >>>> http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/CEO ... 06f514af9b

2Fwp content2Fuploads2F20122F082Frichiie rich

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Timmy K is one of my new favorite sportswriters. ......and he's been right a lot lately! :th2thumbs:

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Laloosh":l41lp336 said:
TheRealDTM":l41lp336 said:
rideaducati":l41lp336 said:
Laloosh":l41lp336 said:
How would Niner fans react to Bevell getting the job?

Bevell is too smart to even consider going there.

Oh man, how things change on this forum

I see what you did there.

I wasn't trying to snarky or particularly funny. I'm just amazed at the change in opinion from the offseason to now, especially if you ever visited the Shack thread about bevell, people wanted him dead.

Laloosh

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1j5x60ow said:
I wasn't trying to snarky or particularly funny. I'm just amazed at the change in opinion from the offseason to now, especially if you ever visited the Shack thread about bevell, people wanted him dead.

I've been a critic. I think for the time being that I am just enjoying the ride. I'll evaluate how I feel about the guy after the season or when I think he does something really dumb.

I'm a fan, not a pundit. I can waffle on the topic :)

Latest posts